[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 38 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #371 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 57)
You can either constantly disassemble and reassemble while he's not using it or possibly find some non working parts to mock things up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post

You can either constantly disassemble and reassemble while he's not using it or possibly find some non working parts to mock things up.

Thanks. Checking out ebay for a broken/semifunctional mobo of the same type.

Any thoughts on sleeving? This will be my first attempt, and I have a semimodular PSU.

I found this:

1-8-EXPANDABLE-SLEEVING-BLACK-RED-SPIRAL-TECHFLEX-25ft

ModSmart_Kobra_MaxCord_High_Density_Paracord_16_-_18AWG_Sleeving_18_-_Black_-_100_Foot_Spool

Or Lutro0's Teleos with a combination of blacks and reds:

http://modbunker.com/shop/cable-sleeving/lc-teleios-dark-red-25ft/

Any thoughts?

Maybe something like this?
post #373 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Would like some advice here.

Oh that's just nasty... if only there was a way at some point to turn that into a nicer case... *taps fingers on table* hmmm.....

Ghetto rigging at its finest. biggrin.gif

Either way, what i'd do is finish as much of the case as you can until it gets time to finish the work by putting the final guts in it. If he really needs a computer by then, he could use a spare system or maybe your sig rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #374 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaatibal View Post

Ghetto rigging at its finest. biggrin.gif

I are ingunear. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaatibal View Post

Either way, what i'd do is finish as much of the case as you can until it gets time to finish the work by putting the final guts in it. If he really needs a computer by then, he could use a spare system or maybe your sig rig.

*throws arms around Pitchblende* NOOOOOooooo!!!!! tongue.gif
post #375 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
The Techflex is a stretchable mesh type that is good for sleeving multiple wires into a single sleeve.
The other two brands are great for sleeving individual wires.
I used the non-paracord variant of Kobra for some of my sleeving on Mid-Lif Cry-Sys, nice quality and easy to work with.
Although I've yet to try it, Lutro0's is highly praised by the pros throughout the modding community.

Here's a great thread with tons of helpful info... https://www.overclock.net/t/662039/cable-sleeving-gallery-discussion
post #376 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

The Techflex is a stretchable mesh type that is good for sleeving multiple wires into a single sleeve.
The other two brands are great for sleeving individual wires.
I used the non-paracord variant of Kobra for some of my sleeving on Mid-Lif Cry-Sys, nice quality and easy to work with.
Although I've yet to try it, Lutro0's is highly praised by the pros throughout the modding community.

Here's a great thread with tons of helpful info... https://www.overclock.net/t/662039/cable-sleeving-gallery-discussion

Thanks. That's very helpful.
post #377 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Got the temporary motherboard back in, and played around with wiring and lighting a bit.

AppleMark

AppleMark

In that last shot, you can see that I added a paper diffuser across the mobo brace to soften the light from the LEDs imbedded in it.
post #378 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 04:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Lighting Looks good! I bet it Looks even better in Person. thumb.gif

As for sleeving, I haven't tried it myself (with proper paracord) so I can't say what the various Options are like to work with but the stuff from Lutr0 Looks the best because the colours are nicer and it has a finer weave than the stuff from frozen CPU. I think the techflex Looks the worst of the three.

Have you done sleeving before?
post #379 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Lighting Looks good! I bet it Looks even better in Person. thumb.gif

As for sleeving, I haven't tried it myself (with proper paracord) so I can't say what the various Options are like to work with but the stuff from Lutr0 Looks the best because the colours are nicer and it has a finer weave than the stuff from frozen CPU. I think the techflex Looks the worst of the three.

Have you done sleeving before?

I have not done any sleeving before, so this is totally a new thing for me. Wish me luck man, I'm going in!

I've now shied away from the Techflex. It's apparently more for bundles of wires and not as good for individual sleeving.

I've decided to settle on paracord.

I opted to get a black with a reflective accent for the base cord, and a sampling of several reds for accent colors (because it's difficult to really see what the colors will look like on the screen):

I'm buying the "helper tool" from Lutro0 Customs and getting the paracord from West Coast Paracord and I already own some pin removal tools. I'm also buying some cable combs, probably from Lutro0 as well.

Unfortunately they don't have a burgundy or merlot, so I may end up getting some more paracord elsewhere. It's cheap enough and useful enough I don't mind buying extra.

On a side note, I've decided to go ahead and assemble the case "as is" for my son to start using it. The little begger stopped by to check on progress, and announced he was done waiting and wanted to start using the case. tongue.gif

Except for the front panel work, I think I can do most of the rest of the work by swapping out components at this point. I have a spare PSU I can put in it, so I can keep the PSU out for sleeving. I can also get spare sata data and power wires and such for sleeving and swap those out as needed, and take fans out one by one for sleeving if I need to. I can also finish the PSU cover and logo outside the case, so that's not an issue.

I think I will focus this weekend on finishing up the front panel (power and reset buttons) and installing the IO panel and fan controllers.

On a side note, I'm seriously considering switching the location of the backlit RELIC logo. I had thought to put it on the PSU cover. But now I'm considering moving it to the front panel in one of the empty 5.25" bays.

So top to bottom would be:

RELIC logo
Fan Controller
IO Panel
Power and Reset

Unless anyone thinks I should change that order around. I'll post some pictures later today or tomorrow with several options. Any thoughts?
post #380 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

58. When Patience Wears Thin - Transplanting the Computer to the Case

Well my son's patience truly ran out, so I opted to transplant the internal components into the nearly completed case and swap out the remainder of the components as I finish them.

First I removed the "placeholder" motherboard and took out the PSU. The plan is to keep the PSU out and sleeve it while it's out, and use the backup PSU in the build. Or maybe the other way around in reverse.

AppleMarkAppleMark

And here's the motherboard and IO shield installed and the power and reset buttons wired up. I opted to wait on installing the front IO panel to give me time to sleeve it first. I also made sure the control plate for the cold cathode was installed in the lowest PCI slot and slipped under the motherboard.

AppleMark

You'll notice this is an mATX board. That's actually a real benefit for this case with the GPU mod, as we'd be blocking the top 2-3 PCI slots with the top radiator anyway. Which brings me to the trickiest part, installing the GPU.

I had two options, either install the card first, and then the radiator, or vice versa. I opted to install the radiator first in order to ensure I had plenty of room to work. That turned out to be the right choice.

AppleMark

And then the card itself.

And... the GPU plugged in, drives installed, and everything powered up.

AppleMark

And let's see if everything powers up properly:

AppleMark

And with the side panel on and the logo stuck in there. No that's not where it's going to be in the end. rolleyes.gif

AppleMark

Hmm.. I just realized something else I need to fix. The mobo tray flip means the GPU is now upside down. I need to redo the logo so it's not upside down! And the location makes the GPU power cables too short. I need to make an extension so I can properly route it behind the mobo tray.

And an angle shot to get a look at the overall effect.

AppleMark

The boy is most pleased. Just don't ask for a photo of the back of the case at the moment. I haven't done ANY cable management. LOL. And of course all the other stuff that needs done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in