[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #31 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Wait, have I missed something here? What's the expanding foam for?

Looking good, that HDD Cage is so good it Looks stock! thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
11. FOAM SUBSTRATE COMPLETE

In which Bruce finds out why I'm spraying expanding foam into the front bezel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Wait, have I missed something here? What's the expanding foam for?

Looking good, that HDD Cage is so good it Looks stock! thumb.gif

Funny you should ask... (And thanks for the compliment on the drive cage. There are some spots where I slipped, and it's not quite perfect when you look very closely, but not bad for hand tools I think.)

So what I did was, I sprayed expanding foam (Great Stuff) into the cavity of the front bezel to make a substrate for something more solid. After it cured, I cored it out with an exacto knife (and cut myself) as you see here:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Then I took it back (yet again) to the hole saw and just trimmed out the excess in the middle.

AppleMark

The result was pretty sweet, I think. A perfect matching "tube" lined up with the front bezel, and it adds almost no weight to the bezel.

AppleMark

And a back view:

AppleMarkAppleMark

EDIT: The more I stare at it, the more I realize that top hole is a few mm's off. I'm going to have to drill that out a bit more and fill it on the other side. Then some sanding and filler work on the front bezel, and finally painting that baby.

I'll post a photo of the installed front bezel with the foam later this evening.
post #33 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
That stuff looks like it worked perfect! Keep up the good work!

R2D2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 116 (Unique: 103)
Impressive work. Are you going to bondo/fill the bore of the foam tubes? It looks really too. Keep up the work

post #35 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

12. FIRST SETBACK AND RECOVERY

Well it looks like either the "Great Stuff" foam was not fully cured when I trimmed it, or the air flow made it dry too quickly, or it just naturally does this, but when I checked this morning, it had contracted and the foam "tube" had widened. :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcnse View Post

That stuff looks like it worked perfect! Keep up the good work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 View Post

Impressive work. Are you going to bondo/fill the bore of the foam tubes? It looks really too. Keep up the work

Thank you both, but it looks like I posted too soon. Overnight, it changed to this:

On top of that, the fact that the top hole was about 2-3mm too far to the left was making me nuts. tongue.gif

So let's regroup a bit. Clearly I need something better in that hole than expanding foam. Based on advice from TLHarrell and after looking at some stuff from MNPCTech, I decided I really needed some sort of insert, supported by the foam.

Now, Obviously, I could have gone online and ordered premade ones. MNPCTech, PerformancePCs, CoolerGuys, and FrozenCPU all sell "fan ducts". But where's the fun in that??? I'm trying to use, as much as possible, salvaged parts and easily available substitutes. After a short trip to the hardware store with a paper template of the holes, I found this:

AppleMark
AppleMarkAppleMark

That's right, it's a 6' long piece of Schedule 40 PVC Pipe, 4" Inner Diameter. And it has an Outer Diameter of ... you guessed it, 4.5". It fits literally like a glove. Heck I could have friction fit it into place in the hole saw cut. Total cost, $10 for enough to do 20-30 ducts. They also carried 3' lengths for about $7 but unfortunately were sold out of that length.

But we still had that pesky mis-drilled hole. 2-3mm off, remember? Driving our poor modder nuts, right? Well let's fix that too.

Offset the piece just a hair, and shaved off another 2.5mm from one side, careful not to damage the top and bottom, which are wayyy thin at this point.

Now to place our cut pipe in the holes and temporarily lock them in place with a bit of superglue. I also put a thin piece of cardboard underneath to make sure there would be a small gap for a future filter.

AppleMark
AppleMarkAppleMark

And on once those are firmly fixed in place, I flipped it over and spray-foamed the remaining gaps to firmly lock the new "fan ducts" into place.

AppleMarkAppleMark

My OCD is now satisfied, and I think it should be simple to trim the fronts as desired and use fiberglass or bondo to sculpt it. Based on comments, I'm now leaning more toward fiberglass, even though I'm pretty intimidated by it...
post #36 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Sweet work, i'm for sure loving this build.

R2D2
post #37 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcnse View Post

Sweet work, i'm for sure loving this build.

And thank you again for the feedback. I'm having a blast, but the encouragement means a lot.

Here's a "Starting vs Progress So Far" photo, just for giggles.

post #38 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 73)
I'd fill the gaps with JB Weld. It's a lot easier to use than fiberglass. Mold it like putty, shove it in place, smooth with a wet fingertip. Let it dry and it's easy enough to grind and sand on.

I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin
post #39 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post

I'd fill the gaps with JB Weld. It's a lot easier to use than fiberglass. Mold it like putty, shove it in place, smooth with a wet fingertip. Let it dry and it's easy enough to grind and sand on.

Thank you. I'll probably do that instead.
post #40 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

13. NEW FANS

Today was a happy day, because my Yate Loon LED fans arrived!

I did a lot of digging to find out what fans were the best "bang for the buck" while also being quiet. I settled on the Yate Loon D12SL's. They run at low speeds but have good airflow.

Problem was, I wanted a particular color, and everyone seemed to be out of them. I finally found what I was looking for at PerformancePCs at a very reasonable price. They arrived today and I immediately installed them in the newly ported front panel, and in the new back panel hole. I think it looks just incredible.

Angle view:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And front view:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Closeup:

AppleMark

And view of interior through a 5.25" Drive Bay:

Question for you folks.

Those fan ducts, I kindof like them sticking out like they are. If I leave them like that, and just build up a gentle slope from the base to the top, do you think it will look okay, or should I cut off some of the amount that is sticking out? It sticks out about 1.2 cm (0.5").

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in