[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 41 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #401 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
59. Finishing the PSU Cover

Sat down over lunch and finished the PSU cover. It came out almost as nice as I wanted. You'll see what I mean.

First I trimmed the logo plate down a bit, so it would fit better:

Also trimmed the white backing a bit:

Took the test PSU cover, and flattened it out to use as a template:

One mistake I made last time was putting the cuts on the outside. This time I corrected that.

One slice, then a couple of angle cuts to remove some material from the inside of the fold:

And the resulting corner looks quite nice:

AppleMark

Finished all the corner cuts:

And looking pretty good so far:

Unfolded and marked the location for the logo so I could cut out a window there:

Cut the window out and folded it back up, and used hot glue to hold the folds. NOTE: I should not have done this yet. What I should have done is apply the vinyl while it was unfolded, then fold and glue it. You'll see why in a bit.

Looks quite nice I think:

And to apply the vinyl:

The finished vinyl:

Placing the logo on the front and the diffuser on the inside:

And let's see how it looks backlit from below:

Quite nice.

And a final shot with the side-panel on:

AppleMark

Now the problem, if you look closely at the PSU cover, is the seam between the sloped part and the front side. What I should have done was put the vinyl on first, folded it over, then mated that edge. Instead I tried to wrap it and trim the excess off there. I just can't get a clean enough cut there to be satisfied, frankly. The second problem is, the LED puck I'm using inside there is too thick, and I can't quite get the side panel back on the way it's supposed to go. I'll need to custom make a smaller LED backlight for that to get it right.

Also, I may end up taking the logo plate off and insetting it into the PSU cover instead of having it surface mount What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #403 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #405 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

drool.gif
I don't think there's anything else I can say except 'wow'. thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Nice job thumb.gif

Thank you kindly. Next post will be my first toying with sleeving. Here's a few teaser shots:

AppleMark

post #406 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 29)
Nice work buddy. I'm definatly going to have to make me one of those nifty paracord tools. I've already got a couple ideas. Always love to see your progress.

"wнy ғollow ѕoмeone elѕeѕ paтн, wнen yoυ can rυn ѕcreaмιng тнroυgн тнe woodѕ and мaĸe yoυr own."
-n1

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question then a foolish man can from a wise answer."
-BL

ᗷᑌIᒪᗪᔕ ↴Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #407 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

60. My First Attempts at Sleeving.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that never stopped me before...

Got two more batches of paracord in:

AppleMark

This stuff is an imperial red/black stripe. Really gorgeous.

AppleMark

The other two colors I don't think I'll use:

AppleMark

So after doing a bit of culling, these are the colors I might use:

And here's the PSU. An older Corsair HX520 with 24-pin ATX, 8-pin EPS, and 4-pin CPU permanent wires and the rest modular.

Let's void a warranty!

AppleMarkAppleMark

Case off, and clipping the zip-tie that holds the PSU fan cable bundled with the other wires.

AppleMarkAppleMark

And clipping the zip-tie that holds the wire bundle in place at the PSU grommet:

AppleMark

And let's work on the other end of the 24-pin cable. First to cut the heat-shrink away:

AppleMark

And then cut the zip-tie:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Now, I could have, at this point, just cut the old mesh sleeving off, but I really wanted to save it, because I may end up using it somewhere else. Unfortunately, it won't open wide enough to slip over the 24-pin connector. So what I opted to do was unpin one wire at a time, slip it out of the mesh, and then repin it outside the mesh sleeving so I don't lose track of pin order.

The second problem I ran into is that I have a pin removal tool for molex, but turns out it's much too large to fit inside the 24-pin connector. First I tried two clothing pins, but the round shape didn't work. I remembered seeing here that people used flattened staples, so I grabbed a couple heavy-duty ones from the workshop and flattened them.

Unfortunately, turned out two of those were too thick. I could get one in on one side, but the other wouldn't fit.

So then I switched to two office staples. Opposite problem. One of those was too small and too flimsy to do the job on a side.

In the end, after much fiddling and cursing, I figured out this would work:

AppleMark

One heavy-duty staple on one side, and two office-staples on the other did the trick with a bit of effort. My first ever unpinned wire! That's some kind of milestone, right? wink.gif

AppleMark

FREEDOM!

Now for the nifty sleeving tool.

AppleMark

I tell you, this thing is a dream to use. The pin fits firmly in one end, and the rod tapers slightly toward a rounded end. It's got enough length that you can "inchworm" the sleeving over it fairly quickly and zero snagging.

First bit of paracord on! Now I know what you may be thinking. "Jhereg, dude, you didn't put the heat-shrink on first!" And you'd be right. I was planning on just slipping some of the paracord on as my first few attempts, just to get a feel for the colors and such before I jump in and do the final sleeving. I still haven't decided the color and pattern yet!

So I did two more. Being careful to remember the wire order at the connector.

AppleMark

Man those look nice together. And that lighter accent color on the black is actually reflective, which you can see here when I put it slightly in shadow:

AppleMark

Let's see what they look like against the case colors:

AppleMark

Oh yeah baby, that's going to look niccccceeee....

Here's where I need some advice.

Will it be too busy to use ALL THREE of those in my pattern? Or should I choose only TWO of them?

I'm thinking using the black w/ reflective as the base color (which is why I bought more of it) and then do accents with the red hatched for smaller bundles and add the red/black striped for larger bundles. I'd appreciate any feedback on that.

Example, for the 24-pin, I was thinking maybe:

Verdict: I think it's too busy. Maybe a plain black for the base color instead of the reflective strip black?
post #408 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #409 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #410 of 512 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Gamer

Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
Imo the last one or just black and one of the others...

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in