61. Two Become One: Handling double wires for PSU sleeving
Finally got some time to make some progress here. Between the Thanksgiving holidays and trying to recover from the Thanksgiving holidays...heheh.
Also, I moved my stuff to the workshop so I wasn't taking up half the dining room table. Took a bit to clean the space up so I didn't dirty up the sleeving.
If you followed my previous posts, I had run into a bit of an issue. I was attempting to unpin, sleeve, and repin each wire one at a time so that I didn't have to tag the wires. Unfortunately, what I found was that several of the wires were doubles at the connector, and to really do it right, I needed to just unpin everything and then handle those doubles.
Also, I found that my homemade pin removal tools (a couple of carpenter's staples) were just too thick and unwieldy. Not having a lot of patience, I ran to Fry's and paid far too much
for a couple of tools they had there.
Please don't ask how much I paid, the shame is nearly unbearable.
I then proceeded to start unpinning and got the next pin loose (upper right arrow, below). And discovered why a noob like me should not try unpinning, sleeving, and repinning one at a time.
Yeah... see where that arrow at the lower left is pointing? That's a sleeve come loose from the heat shrink due to having to manhandle the next pin out of the connector. *sigh*
So regardless, I soldiered on. Here's the two pin removal tools in action:
After trying to remove the second pin, I got fed up with the removal tools. Even as dedicated tools, they were too thick to easily get both of them in there between the pin and the plastic connector housing. One side would slide in no problem, but that shoved the pin so tight against the other side that I couldn't get the second tool in there.
So I took direct action. To the grindstone!
Yup. I ground the ends of the tool down so that it tapered to a sort of blade profile. That made a huge difference in being able to get both tools in there.
But even after that, I found it difficult to pull the wires out, even once the flanges on the pin were compressed. So I wrapped some tape around a pair of pliers so I could get a grip without tearing the insulation.
This worked, but frankly I can't help but think I must be doing something wrong. It felt like it took too much force to get those pins out.
After that, the work went pretty fast. Before long I had a whole bunch of labeled pins free.
Which meant I could finally remove the old sleeve and untangle all the wires:
My next step was to approach this more methodically than before, and precut a bunch of heat-shrink:
And then I cut away the old and fixed that piece of black sleeving that had come loose:
I know these don't look perfect, but I hope you'll forgive me. It's my first attempt here and I'm still getting a feel for this stuff.
Next I decided to fire up the soldering iron and fix the required splices for the double wires. My thanks to TLHarrell for pointing out the Lutro0 video on how to handle those.
First I grabbed a pair, and cut one so that the splice would be at the PSU. This allows you to have only one wire from the PSU to the connector. For this particular wire, one was a twisted pair and the other a straight run, so I cut the twisted wire so the sleeved one would be less difficult to manage.
Then I stripped the cut wire, and used my Exacto to remove some of the insulation from the remaining wire where the two would match up:
Then I soldered the two together:
And slipped the heat-shrink over it and applied yon heat gun:
And the finished product:
I had to do four pairs I think. Here's another finished pair. I got better at it as I went:
That was all for this evening, but now all the wires are prepped for sleeving. I think tomorrow I'll shift gears a bit, and work on the front power and reset buttons.