Finished the 8 pin CPU connector as well.
First I had to decide what to do with the permanent 4-pin CPU connector. None of my mobos need a 4-pin. I could either sleeve it as well, leave it as is, or cut it and cap it inside the case.
In the end, I decided to do none of the above. Instead, I coiled it up inside the case in its original poly sleeve. The red arrows point to the path I ran it:
Below, you can see it coiled up in the front of the PSU:
Then I sleeved the 8-pin CPU connector. This went very fast. I'm beginning to get a feel for this stuff.
As you can see, I threaded each wire through the combs and repinned it as each one was sleeved. Apparently my heat shrink or sleeving was better as I didn't have as much trouble getting them through the combs.
You'll notice my heat shrink is much shorter, and the sleeving runs closer to the connector now.
Here are the two finished harnesses. As I said before, I have some more clip-on combs coming for the 24-pin.
Next I reassembled the PSU. It was very difficult getting the wires back in the original opening, even with not running the four wires for the 4-pin through. The primary reason was because some of my sleeving went back into the case, and most of the heat-shrink also did. If I had it to do over again, I'd run all the sleeving just short of the hole or make the hole larger. At this point, I really don't have time to do that.
So instead, I bundled it up as tight as I could with a zip-tie and that held it compact enough to get the cover back on the PSU.
And then a quick test on an obsolete mobo to ensure I didn't screw anything up:
Now comes the big question, what do I do with the molex and PCIe connectors? These are currently "ribboned" cables.
I can separate them out and sleeve them, and I eventually want to do this, but I'm not sure I have time right now. I think what I'll do is leave these as they are, since they are modular, and see if I have time after I finish the other tasks to mess with them.
I did run into one other problem. Another sleeve came loose when I was adjusting the combs on the 24-pin.
At first I thought it was just a bad sleeving job on my part. But then I realized that this was one of the twisted-pair wires that I had sleeved. I had forgotten some of the wires weren't straight, and was probably careless in moving the comb and it snagged on the curves in the wire.
Regardless, I unpinned that one, and reapplied heat shrink.
I'm really pleased how this all turned out. Especially once I get the additional combs in there.