[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 46 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #451 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperN1 View Post

I was just looking at the first few pics of how this case looked before you sunk your teeth into it and it's amazing. Truly great work buddy.

Thank you sir. Much obliged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

65. Testing Out Front Panel Config

Alright, kinda on the home stretch here.

First the front bay covers.

AppleMark

You can see on the one for the power and reset switches the markes at the top and bottom where the cover flipped before completely dry.

AppleMark

Power switch in.

Both switches installed.

AppleMark

And wired up. I had to mess with the clips a bit to ensure they would stay on. But otherwise no issues. Just realized how dusty the front bezel was. Need to clean that up before final photos.

AppleMark

And the cover installed. I'm still debating the order of the components. I'm not sure having the power and reset switches at the top works best. The only real limitation I have is that the fan controller and the IO box can not go in the bottom bay, because it interferes with the bottom fans.

Basically my thoughts are to put the power and reset either in the top bay or the bottom bay. Any thoughts?

Next I decided to re-use the sleeving from the PSU on the IO box:

AppleMark
AppleMark

It actually looked like it was perfect for the job.

AppleMark

Slipped it on..

AppleMark

Perfect. May cut some length off later because I doubt I want all those wires crammed together their entire length.

AppleMark

A bit of screwdriver work later and...

AppleMark

All the components are in.

And I don't like it. Is it the order that doesn't seem to work? I need some guidance here guys.

What about:

TOP to BOTTOM:

• Fan Controller
  • IO Box
  • Blank
  • Power/Reset

OR MAYBE:
  • IO Box
  • Fan Controller
  • Blank
  • Power/Reset

I think that is the way to go maybe. Having the two "busier" components at the top will balance out the fans at the bottom I think. Or something else entirely? Halp?!
post #453 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)
Hmm that is pretty tough. I kind of like this configuration:

I've always been a fan of the top right power button configuration since I always put my tower on my left side on the floor, ontop of risers to give some airflow to the bottom fans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Hmm that is pretty tough. I kind of like this configuration:

I've always been a fan of the top right power button configuration since I always put my tower on my left side on the floor, ontop of risers to give some airflow to the bottom fans.

That does look significantly better. I think having the fan controller not be next to the IO box is the key.

Only one curveball...

I neglected to mention that the bottom bay is impinged on by the top fan mounting plate. So I can only put a blank or the power/reset in the bottom bay. :-(
post #455 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 70 (Unique: 63)

Hmm doesn't look too bad with a bit of a shift.

post #456 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBoy View Post

Hmm doesn't look too bad with a bit of a shift.

You're right. That's still an improvement over the original layout.

What about hiding the IO box under a blank panel that could be removed easily? Do you think that would be a better choice?
post #457 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
I prefer the original layout, but with the button on the right side. Or you could go OEM and put the power button at the bottom right and the Card Readers at the top tongue.gif

EDIT:
btw, when does the voting for MOTM start? wink.gif
post #458 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 528 (Unique: 406)
I almost wonder if you could figure out a swing plate for the front bays and form it with the bottom to keep the front looking uniform.... but just an idea. =)

.-[Owner - Lutro0 Customs]-.
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner
[Project Log]:[ Elektron Mod

post #459 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 View Post

I almost wonder if you could figure out a swing plate for the front bays and form it with the bottom to keep the front looking uniform.... but just an idea. =)

This^

If not maybe relocate the power/reset buttons to the top or possibly some other spot leaving only 2 5.25 bays to fill. Then I would put the fan controller up top.

post #460 of 512 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

I prefer the original layout, but with the button on the right side. Or you could go OEM and put the power button at the bottom right and the Card Readers at the top tongue.gif

EDIT:
btw, when does the voting for MOTM start? wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback Bruce. The nice thing about this modular approach is I don't have to make up my mind immediately. ;-)

Both you ans PurdueBoy suggested making the buttons on the right. That's an easy fix and I'm doing that. Gonna play around with order and see if anything jumps out at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 View Post

That is a great idea but a matching form is beyond my current abilities I think. I'd have to make a curved face and I expect it would take some work whether I used metal or plastic to get the curve matching. Not saying I won't attempt it, but I doubt I'll start it this month. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post

This^

If not maybe relocate the power/reset buttons to the top or possibly some other spot leaving only 2 5.25 bays to fill. Then I would put the fan controller up top.

That's... Not a crazy idea. I'd have to put it on the top, would be a PITA to remove that and cut the holes at this point. Have to be quarter-way back to miss the top of the drive cage. *pondering*

I may not have time to do it before MOTM but I think that's a great idea...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in