[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

post #51 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
That's just plain sad. Your wife didn't even come give you a pity tip...

R2D2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
post #53 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
18. MORE FRONT BEZEL PREP

So I'm ready to finish prepping the front bezel for epoxy:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Because of concerns the Everglass would dissolve the expanding foam, I opted to seal it with an epoxy first. I picked up some black epoxy spray paint from a local automotive supply store.

The intent is to seal the foam, rough up the epoxy, and then apply the fiberglass resin to further build up the surface.

AppleMarkAppleMark

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

After applying a few coats, I realized that I had too much "buildup" of the foam that would interfere with good feathering of the fiberglass, so I trimmed off some more of the foam to get more "room" for the fiberglass to be worked.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark

Starting to see how the final shape is going to come up when I apply the fiberglass.
AppleMark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 45)
I love it. Classic modding
post #55 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 03:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Yea keep it up man, can't wait to see how the front panel turns out!

i5-3570K - [email protected] (24/7 OC [email protected]) | AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 | Crossfire Asus R9 290 DirectCU II | Custom Watercooling Loop | 8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Samsung 850 Evo 120GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD | EVGA Supernova G2 1000w | NZXT Phantom 410 | Qnix 27" Evolution II 1440p Monitor

post #56 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderonnX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderonnX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18741 View Post

Yea keep it up man, can't wait to see how the front panel turns out!

Thank you both for the encouragement! Brian, you'll have to wait on the next bezel update. I want to let that cure for another couple days before I hit it with fiberglass filler. :-) But next update is.... etching primer!
post #57 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

19. OPTIMUS ETCHIMUS PRIMING

NO

MORE

BEIGE!

So I finished all the stripping (finally). The side panels took 3 applications in general, and one side (for an unknown reason) took a fourth because the paint instead of bubbling up in a clean layer just went chalky.

AppleMark

After the last application of stripper, a wipedown with mineral spirits, followed by a wash and scrubbing with a copper scrubber, I managed to get all the paint off except in some of the tighter cracks. I'm not really sure what to do about those, but man look at these babies shine! I won't be priming them just now, because I have to plan and cut windows in both later (the front side for a window, and the back side for a cable-management bumpout).

AppleMark

Alright, now that I have fully exorcised the beigedemons, I can move on to priming all the pieces that have already been modified. I used self-etching primer, since the steel is now bare and appears to be galvanized.

This stuff is very very noxious, btw. And based on the repeated insistance by Bill Owen in the MNPCTech videos, I went out and invested in a good respirator mask and organic vapor filters. The result, I could breathe freely, and look like a serial killer while doing it! Especially with the old hook scale hanging from the ceiling:

AppleMark

First I tested a couple coats out on the top panel. PER INSTRUCTIONS I sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper, then wiped it down with mineral spirits before starting the first light coat. Let each coat dry a bit before applying the next.

AppleMarkAppleMark

Looks so much nicer than beige. The primer dries with a rough finish. The upper layer rubs off even after curing for a day, but the underlayers are fully bonded. Very nice. Only problem I'm having is damage to the primer where the panel was resting on the cardboard, and contamination of my work area by debris. I need a painting booth... lol.

So on to first and second coats of everything else, each side. Oh and remember that bit of rust on the bottom panel? I sanded and grinded that off prior to priming, and the self-etching primer should take care of any bits of it that escaped my attention. Winning!

AppleMarkAppleMark

At this point, I got tired of the issues with damage to the peices where they touched the cardboard, and crap that was sticking to the cardboard, so I bought some painters roll paper and painters pyramids:

AppleMark

And the final priming coats of everything. I'm going to leave this to fully cure over the weekend.

AppleMark

My god it looks beautiful. And NO BEIGE!

LESSONS LEARNED:

Invest a few bucks in paper and painters pyramids on the front end. Would have saved me a bit of aggravation.

Follow the instructions carefully on all spray primers/paints.

If you can at all, build a small painting booth. There are hundreds of tutorials on the web using PVC/Cardboard, fans, filters, etc, but beware of fume buildup.

ENSURE GOOD VENTILATION. I had the garage door cracked about a foot (to minimize overspray carry) with a fan blowing in at the other end of the garage. I doubt anything I did could make the atmosphere in there not noxious, but it kept the concentration below combustible concentrations, which was the key point.

DO wear the respirator, and keep the drowning thing on. I tell you, was priming away with it, and I couldn't smell a single odor of primer. So in my head, it's not there. So I finished priming, and thought I'd do something else in the garage, and started to lift the respirator. WHHOOSSH the fumes hit me. HOLY COW that was some serious atmosphere in there. Put the mask back on and left the garage before taking it off.

Only real oops is that I was going to cut a vent for the PSU in the bottom panel before priming. Not a huge deal really, as no one will see the raw edges once everything is in place. I may or may not opt to touch that up after cutting.
post #58 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 06:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 261 (Unique: 204)
Looks lots of fun! thumb.gif

[Build Log] the FooBox - Watercooled 540 AIR, and 2700 threads
Forgive my rants - I am harmless - Nullius in verba after all.

post #59 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 AM
Covfefe

Rep: 84 (Unique: 75)
Subbed - great work so far.

I've seen these front panel mods go bad previously by using gloss paint. It shows up every imperfection. I strongly recommend a matt finish.

Ro'Ghaf II
(13 items)
Oldness
(14 items)
CPU
Intel 9900k
Motherboard
Some crappy 4 phase rubbish from Asus that was way overpriced.
GPU
EVGA 980ti ACX2 SC+
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266 16Gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair AX860i
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo
Case
Cooler Master Haf Stacker 935
Case
Haf Stacker 915R
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift
Keyboard
DuckyShine 6 YOTR
Mouse
Logitech G502
CPU
IvyBridge 3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
560Ti Direct CU II
RAM
Geil DDR3
Hard Drive
Western Digital
Hard Drive
Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K
Optical Drive
liteOn Bluray Burner
Power Supply
OCZ 1000W
Cooling
EK Supreme HF Copper / Plexi & Vapochill Chiller
Case
Lian Li
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
LG 21"
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech
▲ hide details ▲
post #60 of 512 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Ovenclock

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
The recovery work is the most helpful, thanks for the tips. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in