21. FRONT BEZEL FILLER PT 1 - AKA THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS
Well that was an education. Body Filler is awesome. Like amazing stuff that you can do practically anything with.
Let's start with a short recap of where yon front bezel has been thus far:
And so we find ourselves ready to do a bit of body filler application, hoping beyond hope that I didn't screw something up five steps ago that will make it look like crap. Again, I confess, this is my first ever attempt at using body filler, so I'll be amazed if this turns out as I expect, but I'm very pleased so far.
First, let's have a look at our supplies:
High quality body filler and hardener, plastic blades, respirator with carbon filters, safety glasses, nitrile gloves, and a plastic lid for mixing. The plastic lid was soon overhelmed and tossed in favor of a larger version. I'm told you should mix this stuff on cardboard or paper because it can contaminate the resin. So I dabbed out a dollop of resin, added a line of hardener per instructions:
So far so good. Now for the first application.
I did the best I could for a first application, but I didn't know quite what I was doing, so it was pretty ugly.TIL:
This stuff is *thick*. It's like a very thick cake icing with some gooey-ness to it. My first glop of it I made a mess because I didn't realize it would kind of flop over into the fan duct. And scraping it back off of that was nearly impossible. It just spreads around. But since it can be sanded, I didn't panic.
This stuff hardens *fast*. It stays spreadable for only a few minutes, then it starts to get "runners" if you try to work it further. Best to stop messing with it as soon as you see it hitting play-dough consistency.
And lastly, it drys *fast* and can be sanded in 5-10 minutes after application. In a couple of cases, by the time I finished the last part of the bezel, the first part was dry enough to sand.
So let's get sanding. I used an 80 grit sandpaper for this part, since I was doing rough shaping. And a few places I had to break out the dremel.
Unfortunately this happened:
The foam on one side was built up more than the other, and I tried to sand the high side down to match the low side. As a result, I sanded completely through the filler down to the foam, which obviously cracked under the pressure of sanding. Oops.
Make sure you build up and don't try to sand down too much. Pay attention to where your substrate is high and low.
EDIT: Oops, hit submit before I intended to. So I'll just make this a two-part post. Stay tuned!