[Build Log] & [Case Mod] Prodigy ITX - MATX (ROG THEME) *WATERCOOLED 290's* - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] & [Case Mod] Prodigy ITX - MATX (ROG THEME) *WATERCOOLED 290's*

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Alright, so this is my first major case modification. I am modifiying my Bitfenix Prodigy ITX case to fit an MATX motherboard. This build is inspired by a few members of Overclock.net including GolferGolfer and Adamski07.

The goal is KISS. Keep it simple stupid. I want to be able to cram as much as I can IN the case if possible.

The build consists of:

CPU - I7 3770K
Mobo - Asus Gene V
RAM - 2 x 4GB Corsair Dominator 2000Mhz
PSU - Corsair AX850
GPU - Crossfire 7970's OR R9 290
Fans - Corsair SP120 / Other
Cables - NZXT Premium Cable Extensions (Black)
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i (w/ Red Tube Mod)

I will be using a Corsair H100i for CPU cooling. I am trying VERY hard to fit the rad and two regular fans up top. I seem to have a bit of a clearance issue, but we are talking millimeters. I may have an idea to get regular size fans to fit. If that doesn't work, I have two options. Either use Scythe Slipstream Slim 12mm fans or put the fans outside of the case. Are the Slim Slipstreams any good? How would 2000RPM version handle a radiator? Static Pressure? We will see as things go along.

Here is the case. Rear panel has been cut. Inspired by GolferGolfer. Front metal grill removed. Need to do a bit more cutting up front. two 120mm fans will be used.

Door panel sill has been cut to hug PSU as close to the side as possible.

Here is the PSU test fit. It will sit closer once the PSU is raised slightly since the floor of case is rounded.

IO panel and motherboard tray are from a Fractal Core 1000. Inspired by GolferGolfer. I will be cutting out the tray indents as it prevents the tray from sitting as close to the PSU as possible. Will also shorten Standoff threads. The closer to the PSU the more room I have.

I had a 92mm fan lying around. Without tray modification I can stuff it in there. I should be able to stuff two vertically as exhaust.

I may use this fan grill from the Core 1000 to rivet in the floor of the prodigy for GPU ventilation. Thoughts?

I'm using the Core 1000 side panel as my new Prodigy back panel. Money in the bank!!!

Just another shot of the back of the case.

For PSU ventilation I cut out the fan grill from the Core 1000 side panel. I will be cutting a hole out and riveting that piece to the inside.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just finished the motherboard tray cutouts. Now the tray sits snug against the PSU. Giant CPU cutout also.

Next will be to cut the back panel out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Subbed thumb.gif
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!

Cut the holes for the IO panel and GPU slots and riveted it to the backplate.

II8lhcHl.jpg

Chopped the PSU bracket to fit flush against the backplate.

Boom touchdown. Backplate back in the case. The GPU slot hole is a bit crooked. The top card ports are somewhat blocked. Will have to do a bit more work on that.

Motherboard tray is riveted now also.

Backside.

Just a mockup. Man those GPU's are tight. Was going to fab up some backplates, but I don't think I could squeeze one on the bottom card. I will choke the breathing room of the top card.

Mockup shot. Front side.

Mockup shot. Side back.
vdcwdmYl.jpg

PSU mounted with PSU bracket.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hmmm... I wonder what's under here?

Oh! Gentle Typhoons? But those are for radiators?

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Eureka! I fit the Corsair H100i Radiator WITH Gentle Typhoons IN the case!!! Miraculous!!! So happy.

More mockup. Have 8pin CPU, 24pin, and 6+8pin NZXT cables in the case. Need another set of 6+8pin cables to match.

I still have a bit of work to do. The radiator looks crooked, but it is the motherboard that is sitting high on the right side due to a hump on the floor where the HDD cage used to be. That's coming out.

I am also going to install a fan mount location on the floor right under the blower of the 7970 to push cool air from under the case. I will only be able to fit a Scythe Slim Slipstream, but something is better than nothing. Might fab up another fan mount beside it in case I get non reference cards.

I will not be using the top and bottom carry handle thingy mijiggers that come with the Prodigy. I believe the case is the perfect size without them.

I will be using some type of silver case feet. I found some off an old A/V Receiver I had lying around. Will go perfectly.

That's it for now! More updates tomorrow!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update!!!

About 90% complete. I have to find a spot for my fan controller and have to cut out an acrylic window for the view. Here is where I am at.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Still have to head to Canada Computers to pick up a fan controller. Considering the Bitfenix Spectre, but if it regulates speed in voltage intervals and causes fan clicking I don't think I want to use it. I will probably be installing the fan controller just above the PSU in a cutout on the side panel.

I also need a 4 wire molex so I can splice it into my LED strip to run it off the PSU.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 02:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 32)
Looks fantastic!!!!!!! Great work so far I imagine my mod would have looked alot like this and damn it looks good!

"One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere..."
()()
=(-,-)=
(")_(")
Snorkle.gifCOMPACT l SPLASH wave2.gif
w a t e r c o o l e d - c o r e - 1 0 0 0
c o m p a c t - s p l a s h - 0 0 8
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM
8.2 liters

Rep: 553 (Unique: 361)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabylonDown View Post

Ya. Nobody followed the build, so I stopped posting in it. Haha.

Sometimes build logs just need to gain a little momentum smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in