[Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure - Page 20 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure

post #191 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Sleeving almost done, for the PSU at least, but the RMA card is even more broken than my original =/ so I have a hold up at my end =( hoping to finish the PSU tomorrow, then sleeve the fans after that. Can't finish my loop until I have a working graphics card, but have a temporary one running now for testing.

No photos as I'm on my phone, perhaps tomorrow =)

Keep them coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
How do you RMA something, and receive a replacement thats even more broken? What a spit in the face. What company and GPU is it? I dont recall.

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #193 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlderonnX View Post

Anyone got any more grim to share? I have a beige box on my dinner table right now. Its not a mod thou just a fix up.

Don't have access to my project at the moment, lol. My son decided he really liked playing Spore and KSP on it. biggrin.gif

I should be able to do some more work Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 05:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

@Swisha,

exactly! It boggles my mind =/ It's a Powercolor R9 290, and I'm in Australia. At least with the original card I could downlock the RAM to 900 MHz and it'd be kinda stable. With this RMA one, it makes a grinding noise (chokes?) while running Unigine Valley, which definitely isn't fan noise. Additionally, downclocking the RAM doesn't stop it crashing and locking up the computer. Finally, I bought the OC version and the RMA card runs only at stock clocks =/ Not happy!
post #195 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 AM
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobai View Post

@Swisha,

exactly! It boggles my mind =/ It's a Powercolor R9 290, and I'm in Australia. At least with the original card I could downlock the RAM to 900 MHz and it'd be kinda stable. With this RMA one, it makes a grinding noise (chokes?) while running Unigine Valley, which definitely isn't fan noise. Additionally, downclocking the RAM doesn't stop it crashing and locking up the computer. Finally, I bought the OC version and the RMA card runs only at stock clocks =/ Not happy!

There should be no reason to downclock a card to keep it stable. Note to self, NEVER buy a powercolor. lol, sucks man. mad.gif

I kind of feel like Ive taken my hardware for granted. The only issue sI have are stability with overclocks. As for regular use, my hardware lasts a long time. GTX 260 in my htpc s939, and my GTX 580 on water for my main. No cap whine, choke grind, etc. eVGA tho too. But still, what a joke, to send you something even worse. Its obvious they couldn't care.

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #196 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobai View Post

@Swisha,

Bad times. RMA it again and you should get a good one, I think you just had incredibly bad luck to get two duff Cards! smile.gif
post #197 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

There should be no reason to downclock a card to keep it stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Bad times.

Yah, that's the plan. I've sent the email off to the shop I bought it from, we'll see what their response is. I'm still at a loose end with the watercooling, since I can't finish the loop =/ plus I have to drain it in order to add the card, once I have one that's working. I'm very glad that I decided to check the card out before fitting it into the loop!

In other news, the PSU is now fully sleeved and installed. I've still got the fans, their splitters, and the pump to do. It's going to be a tight fit, that's for sure! I'll try and get a photo this evening
post #198 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

So, here's a bit of a photo showing some of the clearance issues I've overcome in order to wrangle this all together:

The original mounting bolts for the XSPC Raystorm block are too tall and fouled on the upper fan, so I found some others to use - not a trivial feat, considering the thread is pretty uncommon here in sunny/metric Australia tongue.gif

You can also see that the radiator had to be mounted in such a position as to miss the RAM heatsinks. The panel it's attached to is removable, which made the process much easier!

And there is also some sleeving visible, with some more cabling yet to be sleeved in frame also.

In other news, the shop is happy to put through a refund for me, so I'm sending the card back to them - hopefully that'll go through smoothly. I need the machine up and running for not this weekend but next, so the sooner this is done, the better!

[edit: spelling...]

Also, I forgot to mention, but I am /super/ happy with the noise levels in this config! In the previous setup, I found the noise from the pump distracting as it was clearly audible over the slowly spinning [or stopped] GTs. It still runs on 5V in this case, but it's now held into two L shaped brackets with roughly 9mm of closed cell foam on the contacting sides. The brackets are then attached to the case floor with double sided tape. The pump still vibrates a lot, but none of that is being transmitted into the case - fantastic!

I'm using a similar mounting setup for the hard drive, and although I can clearly hear the seeks with the side of the case off, there is no vibration being transferred. Having said that, I need to put the side of the case on to use it, because otherwise it blows cold air over me - it's still winter down here tongue.gif
post #199 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Not at the Moment, I'm still looking around for a good case to mod rolleyes.gif
That inwin case you showed me is probably still the best Option atm! tongue.gif

Its a fine case. build quality is superb! I honestly think the side panels would stop a .22
post #200 of 577 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 10:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 45)
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=181235050637

Someone needs to buy and mod this for science!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in