[Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure - Page 6 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure

post #51 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1389 View Post

As requested... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

There's on average 10mm space between the MB tray and side panel. I might have to remove the reinforcement ribs on the panel.

If I'm going to put a window in it I need to take out that metal.
I'm off to the hardware store now to pickup some stuff. Then I'll come back and start a log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1389 View Post

I did it, I started!!! wheee.gif

Here is the link!
https://www.overclock.net/t/1499051/case-mod-ancient-evolution

Most awesome!

So... the motherboard tray is integrated into the back side-panel, and the top, back side, and bottom are all a single piece of U-bent metal. Man that's tough. Looks like there is a plastic panels on the top, front side, and bottom as well instead of the metal being directly exposed. That's wild.

I thought about suggesting you flip the entire frame, except for the front metal panel. Basically flip the entire metal frame upside down, then flip the front metal panel so that it's rightside up. But now I see that the 5.25" drive cage uses the back side panel as part of the mount. You *could* get past that by drilling new holes or even modding a custom cage, but man what a pain in the butt. LOL.

That's a tough case to do any serious reconfiguration on, unless you're willing to do a lot of custom metalwork. It can be done, if you have the urge. You can pick up sheet metal from your local hardware store that should fit the bill, but that may be a bit aggressive for your first beigemod.

Are you going to keep the plastic panels on the top and sides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Pro lamer

Rep: 40 (Unique: 36)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

*sobs* That case is so ugly it's beautiful!

And welcome our first sister of the beige! Can't wait to see your mod log kick off! Any thoughts as to what you're doing to do with that monster? Clearly, it's begging for better airflow. Do you have a front bezel for it, or will you be making your own?
No front bezel, no wiring. Probably will repaint it and cut some holes for rads.

Filthy Casual
(11 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i5-4670K Processor
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
GPU
AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
HyperX FURY DDR3 8Gb
Hard Drive
SSD 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 4TB
Case
Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass
Monitor
Nixeus VUE 24″ FHD 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Keyboard
SteelSeries MERC
Mouse
Nixeus REVEL
Mousepad
SteelSeries Qck
Audio
Xonar DG
▲ hide details ▲

post #53 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihglah View Post

hmmm - does it have to be beige?
I have an interesting chassis, but it has a black outer case.
I think is meets the spirit though.

Option 1) My last case - not much to work with here Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Option 2)
Old Vapochill case. Not a lot to it once It is stripped: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Option 3)
No idea where this came from, but I think it has mileage - structurally sound and some room up top for some water cooling I think: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Could mod a 140mm fan in the front and a 120mm one at the rear. The put a 240 rad in the roof. I'm thinking gloss white interior Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It even has a floppy drive!
Option 3 Looks like the right case to mod, loads of room up top for a rad, the Panels look as if they're all seperate. Loads of potential in that one, go for it! thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 577 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

For those who may not be aware, we have TWO beigemods entered into Mod of the Month (MOTM) this month:

It would be a real coup for a Beigemod to win this month. I hope you'll stop by and vote for one of those mods here!

Edit: Apologies to XAslanX for initially overlooking his submission.
post #55 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I found one of these Dell Optiplexs the other day at a car boot sale, emptied of everything going to turn it into a HTPC/Steam Stream Box not beige however :/

post #56 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BitPandaz View Post

I found one of these Dell Optiplexs the other day at a car boot sale, emptied of everything going to turn it into a HTPC/Steam Stream Box not beige however :/

Yeah, is that a GX620? Looks like that case is about 8 years old (is that right?). Does the interior look like this?

That's pretty close to an "honorary beigemod" based on the (absolute lack of) features. rolleyes.gif

Definitely interested in seeing what you do with it. Tell us more!
post #57 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Yeah, is that a GX620? Looks like that case is about 8 years old (is that right?). Does the interior look like this?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

That's pretty close to an "honorary beigemod" based on the (absolute lack of) features. rolleyes.gif

Definitely interested in seeing what you do with it. Tell us more!

Yeah that's the one there smile.gif

I am looking at putting in an Asus AM1I-A Mini ITX so I will have to cut out the I/O panel at the back. I have an SSD and a HDD laying around the house some where so I want to put them in the mobo only has 2 Sata connectors so no Optical Drive, but as the case didn't have the optical drive, and I don't fancy buying one.

This of course will leave a gaping hole at the front of the case so I will fill this with some body filler. I am also going to do a respray maybe put a window in we shall just have to see. I will be starting the build log in a few days on pay day smile.gif

The hardest part is trying to find a PSU to fit in the sucker looking at either a TFX PSU or maybe even a Pico PSU that is if I can find one with the right number of connectors.

post #58 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BitPandaz View Post

I second what Jhereg10 said; if you can make anything remotely useable out of that case then we could make it an "honorary beigemod".

What are your plans for it?
post #59 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 241 (Unique: 201)
Be careful with those optiplexes, they have some weird propriatary motherboard holes, io ports, and power supplies. But if you stick with it, it should be grand.
post #60 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 77 (Unique: 55)
I still have this beauty sitting around. It was dug out of a friend's garage a couple of years ago, and I've just been holding on to it until I get all the right tools together. You know, life happens, and things like this get pushed to the side. I would like to add in 3.5in drive cages and make it a file server some day. It would be a lot of work, but I enjoy that sort of thing. The ruler there is for size comparison. This thing is a beast, much bigger than my Lanboy. Oh, and I put its motherboard on my wall, because it's pretty. What would you do with this case?

Quote:
The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don't care whether you get them or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in