[Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure - Page 8 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] OCN Beigemodders Club - From Trash to Treasure

post #71 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortheleus View Post

Ok I want to know if you guys/gals will let me in. smile.gif

Here is the Original Cases I'm using:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

And this is my WIP (build-log-full-custom-mini-itx-case-first-mod-and-first-custom-water-cooled

biggrin.gif This groupe is a great ideal biggrin.gif

Thank you and thanks for checking us out!

If I understand correctly what you're doing, you are scrapping two old Antec cases (which are very close to being beigeboxes... one even has the old AMD Athlon 64 sticker on it) to make a new scratchbuilt case.

Are you using all new components in the case or reusing anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

Thank you and thanks for checking us out!

If I understand correctly what you're doing, you are scrapping two old Antec cases (which are very close to being beigeboxes... one even has the old AMD Athlon 64 sticker on it) to make a new scratchbuilt case.

Are you using all new components in the case or reusing anything else?

Actually it's more like 3 to 4 old Antec cases. I'm going to cut up the covers to make a new one and I've cut the frame for the power supply hinge. For the rest of the parts, the list is in my log.

Quotes taken out of context and still sounds good. wink.gif
“Who’s the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?”
“That… is why you fail.”
“It’s worse.”
“That’s no moon.”
"..."
“Sorry about the mess.”
**Got to love StarWars** biggrin.gif
thumb.gif The {Official} Canadian OCN Club thumb.gif
thumb.gif OCN Beigemodders Club thumb.gif
post #73 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Gamer

Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
yup I certainly love following this thread! thumb.gif Nice job so far.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 12:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortheleus View Post

Actually it's more like 3 to 4 old Antec cases. I'm going to cut up the covers to make a new one and I've cut the frame for the power supply hinge. For the rest of the parts, the list is in my log.
It a bit too early to say, but depending on how your build develops, the Scratch Build Case Club may be better suited! wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

yup I certainly love following this thread! thumb.gif Nice job so far.
Thanks mate! smile.gif

@All:
We're going to be updating with more articles, logs and members all the time so check back regularly and join in the discussion! thumb.gif
post #75 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Love the mods thumb.gif

Once you add front fans theese old cases suddenly have an optimal layout.

I never understood why psu at bottom,5.25 bays at top became the new standart.That makes the front bottom intake fan blow at the psu cables and the upper one just directing air at gpu and no direct ariflow for cpu cooler.

Look how good Air 540 and H440 is at cooling.

Again,great mods.
post #76 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisHertz View Post

Love the mods thumb.gif

Once you add front fans theese old cases suddenly have an optimal layout.

I never understood why psu at bottom,5.25 bays at top became the new standart.That makes the front bottom intake fan blow at the psu cables and the upper one just directing air at gpu and no direct ariflow for cpu cooler.

Look how good Air 540 and H440 is at cooling.

Again,great mods.

Thanks!
post #77 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well it looks like the results are in on MOTM, though it's not official.

DreadmanD looks to be the winner with 67 votes.

But I'd like to point out the VERY strong showing by our beigemodders. BruceB finished SECOND and XAslanX finished SIXTH in a field of ten contenders, most of whom started with modern cases and showcased flashy water-cooling systems.

Together BruceB's 20€ LAN PC and XAslanX's Tribal Leo gernered a combined total of 66 votes, nearly equal to DreadmanD's total!

I can't tell you how fantastic it is to see two humble air-cooled beige mods give a field of water-cooled systems a real run for the money!
post #78 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
at last! a place for the unloved and forgotten gems from the past, where you have to actually think about cable management and decent airflow, cutting and shaping, colour schemes and modernization! loving the thread and all of your beigelovers hard work smile.gif can i get in with my beigesleeper machine? case mods are completely finished just focusing on hardware now. i'll put some pics and specs up if you like it. 20140314_141936.jpg 1655k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140314_141936.jpg (1.62 MB, 54 views)

OCN Beigemodders Club
post #79 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelybrown View Post

at last! a place for the unloved and forgotten gems from the past, where you have to actually think about cable management and decent airflow, cutting and shaping, colour schemes and modernization! loving the thread and all of your beigelovers hard work smile.gif can i get in with my beigesleeper machine? case mods are completely finished just focusing on hardware now. i'll put some pics and specs up if you like it. 20140314_141936.jpg 1655k .jpg file

Yes yes! Please post photos of after to go with the horrendously lovely before! And if you have in progress photos, please go ahead and make a work log post here:

https://www.overclock.net/f/154/case-mod-work-logs
post #80 of 577 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

3. What Tools Do I Need?

Okay. We've given some tips on where to find a beige case, and what features to look for or avoid. Let's talk about tools now.

In this post, we are going to discuss a limited Basic Set of tools that will allow you to do a decent job on a wide-range of mods. Then We'll discuss what tools you would probably want to add, depending on how much money you have available. This list is mostly going to focus on physical case modding, not on electrical modding (sleeving and soldering) and not on tools that are specific to watercooling. We'll cover some of those topics in later posts.

We also want to point out that we've included some ballpark costs for purchsing each set of tools new. Obviously, depending on quality the tools may be much higher or lower than this. Also we should point out that if you are a modder on a budget, you should consider buying these tools used or borrowing them from a friend or relative rather than buying them new.

Finally, these are just suggestions and not set in stone. The exact tools you buy will depend in part on what kind of mods you are trying to do.

SAFETY GEAR

Let's start off with a list of tools that won't actually help you mod your case, but will help you save your health.

• Safety Glasses
  • Dust Mask
  • Work Gloves
  • Hearing Protection

Don't underestimate the risks of working on your computer case. A single stray metal chip in the eye can cause weeks of pain, permanent eye damage, and thousands of dollars / euros in medical costs. Sharp edges can slice deep into a finger. Protect your lungs and hearing! Don't go without basic safety equipment. Buy these FIRST and use them.

Now that we've drilled that home, let's get to our first set of basic tools. These lists assume you already have the most general tools on hand like screw drivers and something to measure with. Apologies if you are missing those general household tools.

BASIC SET: (~$80 / 65€)

• Hacksaw
  • Metal File
  • Electric Drill +bits
  • Clamps x2
  • Rivet gun + rivets
  • Sandpaper Set

With this tool set, you can do basic cutting for fan holes and windows in metal and plastic, drilling holes for screws and rivets, and riveting metal components back into place. You can also sand down the rough edges with the sandpaper and rough up panels for repainting. Cutting windows and holes with the hacksaw will be somewhat time consuming but can be done.

Want to go a little further with your modding, or make it a bit easier, and have some more cash to spend? How about trying...

INTERMEDIATE SET: (~$150 / 130€)

• Everything from BASIC SET plus:
  • Electric Jigsaw OR Angle/Die Grinder
  • More Clamps x2
  • Low End Rotary Tool

Adding this set will allow you to cut holes and windows much more easily. Whether you choose a jigsaw or angle/die grinder at this point will depend on your cutting needs. If you are doing more curved cuts, then the jigsaw is definitely a better fit. If you are doing more straight cuts, the angle grinder may be a better fit.

The rotary tool will make it possible to more quickly grind and deburr cut edges and you can do some metal cutting with it using the reinforced cutoff disks. However, with this budget you can probably only afford a low-end two or three-speed one. You may want to hold off on the rotary tool and buy a better quality one at this point.

ADVANCED SET (~$300 / 250€)

• Everything from INTERMEDIATE SET plus:
  • Hole Saw(s)
  • Electric Jigsaw OR Angle/Die Grinder
  • Midrange Rotary Tool

A bimetallic hole saw will allow you to drill nearly perfect fan holes for fans:

80mm fan = 3-inch hole saw
92mm fan = 2.5-inch hole saw
120mm fan = 4.5-inch hole saw
140mm fan = 5.5-inch hole saw

Hole saws work best with a low-speed drill press, but you can get by with a hand drill if you are careful.

At this point, whichever one you didn't get before of the jigsaw or angle/die grinder you'll probably want to pick up the other now. And if you skipped the rotary tool in the last upgrade, now's the time to pick up a good multi-speed rotary tool for cutting and grinding.

EXPERT SET ($500+ / $350€+)

• Everything from ADVANCED SET plus:
  • Benchtop Drill Press
  • Benchtop Band Saw
  • Small Welding Rig
  • Electric Mouse Sander
  • Whatever else strikes your fancy and you can afford

At this point, unless you are using these tools for other things, you are investing money far in excess of the cost of a dozen new cases of comparable value. We recommend taking a deep breath and asking yourself whether you are A) Going to be using these tools for other things and B) How many cases, exactly, are you planning to work on?

There are several existing threads on OCN and elsewhere about modding tools, including The Incomplete List of Modding Tools

If you get the chance, we highly recommend you take the time to skim over those threads, including the discussion about specific tools.

Also check out MNPCTech's list at HardwareCanucks

In our next set of articles, we will start to dig into how to use these tools on specific mods. Hope you found this useful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in