[Build Log] [Beige modders Club Entry] AMD s939 Lean Mean Green Machine **COMPLETE** - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] [Beige modders Club Entry] AMD s939 Lean Mean Green Machine **COMPLETE**

post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo_man View Post

I'd use bondo for the front holes. You can pick it up at a parts house/auto store, and it's really easy to work with. GREAT log here! Really awesome!

Thanks. I think I will go bondo, once I have the spare scratch to get all my supplies at once. Acrylic for window mod just came today. So thats cool. biggrin.gif

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Is he still around?!

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

Thanks. I think I will go bondo, once I have the spare scratch to get all my supplies at once. Acrylic for window mod just came today. So thats cool. biggrin.gif
It's really easy to use and sand. Spread it like cake batter and then just sand it down. thumb.gif

Syrillian: "Watch out World... here I come (rawwwr?)"
The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Case Mod Comp '09 Intermediate Winner:
Chlokwork Orange

post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Cut side panel window today. Acquiring materials tomorrow to hopefully paint inside of case at least. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

So I totally failed on painting the front panel. The gloss paint is false advertised. They didnt say it was rubber and peeled like cheese sticks. Its completely screwed. I accidentally had a puddle of paint. Ok, let it dry the hour, and went to sand it out, and it just peeled like burnt flesh. THEN, by fingers indented the paint and left finger prints in every spot i touched. What a fail. Im not gonna be able to fix it where it looks good. Its just going to look like a 3rd grader painted it with a dirty brush. Waste of time and money...

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Is he still around?!

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

So I totally failed on painting the front panel. The gloss paint is false advertised. They didnt say it was rubber and peeled like cheese sticks. Its completely screwed. I accidentally had a puddle of paint. Ok, let it dry the hour, and went to sand it out, and it just peeled like burnt flesh. THEN, by fingers indented the paint and left finger prints in every spot i touched. What a fail. Im not gonna be able to fix it where it looks good. Its just going to look like a 3rd grader painted it with a dirty brush. Waste of time and money...

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Deep breath. In. And out. smile.gif It happens, man! Paint is very forgiving. If you had a very thick spot of paint, it'll probably take hours (not one) to really dry enough to sand. Let it dry over night and go back at it tomorrow. You can sand it back down and have a smooth surface to start with again. That's the beauty of paint: if you don't like it, just sand it back and start again!

Sorry to hear about the hang ups. But, at least for me, you've made mistakes that most people make when beginning to paint.

Syrillian: "Watch out World... here I come (rawwwr?)"
The life and continuance of Syrillian's Silentium: Repo and Syrillian's Silentium

The Rest of My Work -- Vapor Locked // Sanguineus Cinis Cineris // Hinges for Syrillian's Silentium // Project: Phoenix // Flip this Tower
Case Mod Comp '09 Intermediate Winner:
Chlokwork Orange

post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Sorry to hear the paint failed. Like it was mentioned wait then start over. sand it if you can, Do not use laquer thiner, acetone or alchol on plastic or bondo. Mineral spirts is safe. Also I used Krylon Fusion paint for plastic and rattle can paint from ruestloem on the metal. Keep at it and good luck. tongue.gif

post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Oh man. Well nothing that can't be rolled back and redone. That's the beauty of these old cases, you can't make it worse than it started. wink.gif

May I ask what kind of paint you used and what prep you did on the front? Photos of mistakes are always helpful to others as well.

And I'll echo what others said. One hour drying time USUALLY is referring to "dry to touch" but does not mean it is cured hard. It takes many paints 24 hours to dry enough not to leave fingerprints (longer if thicker) and DAYS TO WEEKS of curing before the finish reaches maximum hardness (that new paint smell means it's still curing!)
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDxpress View Post

Sorry to hear the paint failed. Like it was mentioned wait then start over. sand it if you can, Do not use laquer thiner, acetone or alchol on plastic or bondo. Mineral spirts is safe. Also I used Krylon Fusion paint for plastic and rattle can paint from ruestloem on the metal. Keep at it and good luck. tongue.gif

Ditto that. I also recommend Krylon Fusion for plastics and Rustoleum spray enamel for metals.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

I used Krylon black flat, and emerald green gloss. The front panel would have been alright if it didnt puddle. And if my sandpaper hadn't of hit every spot around where I was focusing, I would've been ok. Its all redone now, but there are DEFINITE imperfections that just STAND OUT. I dont know what to do. BUT, I'll be uploading some stuff tomorrow, even tho Im not done with painting all the parts yet.

I got so frustrated and dis-pleased at the nightmare i went through on that front panel, that I just couldn't do anymore today. Even now, hours later, Im still very upset it looks so trashy, especially considering everything else looks pretty good. Im sure I'll quit noticing once I realize its just a painted PC case, its not life. I might even sell the machine to someone who needs a rig, then I won't have to see it at all. biggrin.gif

I've pretty much fixed it tho, just still have spots where you can see the paint ran. Looks like a 5 y/o painted it with a kitchen broom.

post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Alright, slightly extended the build log with that went down yesterday. Not too much. Gonna try and sneak in more painting, but out of black. And my supply store was out too. mad.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in