[Build Log] [Beige modders Club Entry] AMD s939 Lean Mean Green Machine **COMPLETE** - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] [Beige modders Club Entry] AMD s939 Lean Mean Green Machine **COMPLETE**

post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
You did a great job filling in those squares with bomdo and sanding it smooth. And I don't know what you're talking about with the front panel. That thing looks like a perfect paint job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Rep: 106 (Unique: 88)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhereg10 View Post

You did a great job filling in those squares with bomdo and sanding it smooth. And I don't know what you're talking about with the front panel. That thing looks like a perfect paint job!

Thanks, but I haven't taken any pics outlining the damage I caused. The one pic of the front out on the tree stump was when it was painted perfect, it was one coat away from being done, and thats when I screwed up. Spray got too close and puddled up. Sanding ruined it, especially when the paper hit every spot around where I was trying to focus, AND THEN, I puddled / ran more paint on the very top when trying to fix the spot I sanded. It was a nightmare... My best chance to fix it is to sand all paint on very top, smooth it out and hope I can patch repair paint with the now dried and cured paint from last weekend, without there being an obvious line showing where they came together. Hope that makes sense.

I'll be doing that when I get back into finishing the paint this Sat. I'll get some close ups. Im not sure if it can be fixed, or if its even worth it. Its really just paint puddles / running that are annoying me the most. I'll detail it in my next update probably Sat. evening.

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

As promised, got some more done today. Just paint. Needs to sit 24 hours. I've leveled my painting skill to 300 / 500 on this project. I'd like to think I've learned A LOT. Like bugs LOVE landing and walking into your f***ing paint if you leave it outside. My GAWD are they ********. lol

I've also compressed the thread with spoiler tags for each day. I'm going to be doing some small re-formatting to organize better.

ALMOST DONE! I think by Wed. next week this rig will be complete. A good friend of mine is going to LOVE this thing. First tower PC he'll have ever owned, and what a way to break into computers than with a overhauled modded beige box, and a l33t oldschool s939 dual core setup. thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 09:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

As promised, got some more done today. Just paint. Needs to sit 24 hours. I've leveled my painting skill to 300 / 500 on this project. I'd like to think I've learned A LOT. Like bugs LOVE landing and walking into your f***ing paint if you leave it outside. My GAWD are they ********. lol

I've also compressed the thread with spoiler tags for each day. I'm going to be doing some small re-formatting to organize better.

ALMOST DONE! I think by Wed. next week this rig will be complete. A good friend of mine is going to LOVE this thing. First tower PC he'll have ever owned, and what a way to break into computers than with a overhauled modded beige box, and a l33t oldschool s939 dual core setup. thumb.gif

Excellent. I'll be heading over there to have a look right now!

And I just posted a small update as well.

EDIT: Oops! Didn't mean to hijack. I thought this was posted in the OCN Beigemodders Club page. redface.gif

EDIT: Just returned from page 1 and WWOOOWWWW that looks outstanding. Seriously, I can't wait to see that whole thing assembled.

drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Waiting for paint to finish "curing" today before I handle any of the parts. Just out of caution. I THINK I should be able to put together the windowed side panel by getting edge trimmed, and acrylic mounted. I MIGHT sneak in grinding the front panel's fan hole edge down a little, its thickness is just a LITTLE too much for the edge trim to handle. With that sanded thinner, I can do edge trim, get hex grille installed, and the front panel is done.

THEN, all the modding as I know it is done, and she just has to be completely assembled. With the kiddo running around, I'm not sure if I can sneak in the dremeling. But the windowed side panel should be done today. thumb.gif

EDIT: Finished installing side window. Out of 16 bolts, only 6 didn't align up perfect. So I just installed the ones that did, and tapped through the acrylic, using side panel as template of course, to make it work. Looks pretty sharp. thumb.gif

post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

Done for today. Having hard time getting side panels on. Paint has created enough of a thickness to interfere with the slides going into the holes that essentially mount it. Gonna have to do some forcing, and letting the paint chip where it needs to so they can slide in and out like they're supposed to.

I feel pretty good about this mod and build, even tho Ive had some headaches and frustrations. The paint continues to chip here and there from the SLIGHTEST bumps and taps. I can't believe how sensitive it is. Its almost offensive that its chips so easy. Never again Krylon, never again. I bought paint meant to bond to metal and plastic, and it chips when the wind blows. mad.gif

post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AMD s939 LVL 99+

My Official Beige Modders Club Entry is COMPLETE!

I'll probably still do some touch ups on chipped paint. Side panels got a little bent from handling, so will fix that best I can. Power button is abandoned. Paint causes it to bind up and crunch, its un-usable. Reset switch re-purposed for power on / off. Uhh, performance data will come after OC'ing best I can. On stock cooler, so MAYBE 2.4 with good memory OC. It'll do DDR500 on this board, so not worried about it. Tough little rig, I like it.

Like I said, some small touch ups on paint, slight tweaks here and there. Front LED fan doing GOOD, and looks great. My spray paint skill has leveled from this epic quest. 400 / 500. lol

I recommend a new DVD burner, this one is a DVD-rom and IDE. UUGGGHGHH!

WAY newer mechanical HDD, or small SSD for boot OS and drivers...

And a newer GPU wouldn't hurt.

All these would cause this rig to distort time and drag itself into 2014. Kind of.

Can I getz added to da club? biggrin.gif

post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

My Official Beige Modders Club Entry is COMPLETE!

I'll probably still do some touch ups on chipped paint. Side panels got a little bent from handling, so will fix that best I can. Power button is abandoned. Paint causes it to bind up and crunch, its un-usable. Reset switch re-purposed for power on / off. Uhh, performance data will come after OC'ing best I can. On stock cooler, so MAYBE 2.4 with good memory OC. It'll do DDR500 on this board, so not worried about it. Tough little rig, I like it.

Like I said, some small touch ups on paint, slight tweaks here and there. Front LED fan doing GOOD, and looks great. My spray paint skill has leveled from this epic quest. 400 / 500. lol

I recommend a new DVD burner, this one is a DVD-rom and IDE. UUGGGHGHH!

WAY newer mechanical HDD, or small SSD for boot OS and drivers...

And a newer GPU wouldn't hurt.

All these would cause this rig to distort time and drag itself into 2014. Kind of.

Can I getz added to da club? biggrin.gif

Dude, the moment you cracked open that case, you were one of us. thumb.gif
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Looks great Buddy! Good work! thumb.gif
I know it's personal Preference but I would get a USB DVD/RW and ditch the DVD ROM all together, it would give an even sleeker Look the front Panel smile.gif

[EDIT]
I love those painted PCI Slot blanks, it really makes it look better when you can see them through the window.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in