Crimson's Back! ==> Mean Green Gaming Machine Build Log - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Crimson's Back! ==> Mean Green Gaming Machine Build Log

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 149 (Unique: 110)
I'm sure everyone remembers this case:

Crimson's back Baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

With a case already full of holes from the last project I was planning... I drilled even more so I could re-position the horizontal motherboard brace, then attached the brace using 6-32 screws & nuts -- note that I also drilled 4 holes in the top of the motherboard brace:

Then I attached standard 6-32 standoffs to the back of the motherboard:

Which correspond with the holes I drilled in the horizontal brace:

Then I attached the motherboard tray to the horizontal brace using thumbscrews threaded into the standoffs on the back side of the motherboard tray:

End Result:

I originally purchased this case with plans to install a eVGA SR-2 motherboard in it, and also planned to have the motherboard positioned vertically in the case as opposed to horizontally. Plans and hardware have changed, so in order to support the massive SR-2 motherboard tray, I moved the horizontal brace forward in the case and also attached the motherboard tray to the horizontal brace in order to provide greater support and stability than the original design and brace placement did. So far so good.

Next Mod: Need to re-mount the Lian-Li PC-A10 Hard Drive Cages to the bottom of the case in order to accommodate the motherboard brace that is now installed. This means even more holes in a case already full of holes. gunner2.gif

(yes that's dust in the corners of the HDD cages... forgive me, they've been sitting in a closet for 3 years now.)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Holes Drilled:

Lian Li PC-A10 Hard Drive Cage Base positioned:

HDD Cage Bases attached using 6-32 screws and nuts:

Finished Result - everything snug as a bug in a rug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 27)
It should be a new forum-wide rule to require selfies in build logs. I lol'd.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Spent the better part of the afternoon working on my Zippy PSL-6C00V 1200w PSU

Soldered the molex pins on and then crimped them... those boys aren't going anywhere:

Unfortunately I ran out of ATX/EPS/PCI-E molex pins, so I didn't get any of the PCI-E wires topped off, and I still need to top off the 4-pin leads and SATA leads with molex pins.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, considering that this project is no longer officially named "Zyklon B," I decided to change out the windows. Mountain Mods screwed up on my order originally anyways and gave me smoke windows instead of clear windows when I had this case done for me. Now that I'm finally putting this case to use, those smoke windows had to go. They looked fine, but I'm not huge on having lights in my case and the superhighway of wiring it takes to REALLY light your case up fully, which is in turn another pain in the ass to wire manage and conceal in a U2-UFO case... I'd rather have clear windows so you can see everything inside without needing lights.

Smoke Window:

Drilled out the rivets:

Reamed out the existing window-mounting holes with my Unibit and deburred the holes:
037.jpg

Buncha naked side panels:

And waiting to fill that void were new 1/8" clear acrylic windows that I had cut earlier and drilled 1/8" holes in for mounting:

One side panel finished with the new clear window mounted. I used flat-head socket-cap 6-32 screws w/ a nut & washer on the back side to mount the windows. I REALLY like the look of these flat-head allen screws when they've been countersunk and they mount flush with the surface of the case. Gives it a real clean buttoned-up appearance:

Unfortunately I ran out of screws to finish mounting all the windows... I managed to get one side panel completely done and the other two screwed down in each one of the four corners to hold the windows in place before I ran out of screws. Putting in a McMaster-Carr order later today to remedy that... and to pick up some other hardware for the rest of the case.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
good things,It should be a new forum-wide rule to require selfies in build logs.thanks 23.gif
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alphabet soup anyone?

Just got done scrubbing the keys off of a Acer 6311-K mechanical keyboard made in 1996. What'd I pay for a vintage mechanical keyboard? NOTHING! I found it in a dumpster at school.

Going to be painting the keyboard with Metallic Green Spray-On Plasti-Dip come Thursday... the same day my PS/2-to-USB active adapter should be coming in the mail
thumb.gif
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Presents from McMaster-Carr today... more hardware and some zip ties:

RAM from Amazon... my brother had 2x 4gb sticks already, so I only had to buy a 3rd 4gb stick to set up triple channel in the Asus Rampage III motherboard:

And after washing all the keys, the Acer mechanical keyboard is back together. Tomorrow I'll be painting the frame for the keyboard:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in