[Build Log] W.I.P. 3.0 Now with 100% more skylake - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] W.I.P. 3.0 Now with 100% more skylake

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Hi everyone

This is going to be my first attempt at custom watercooling. Over the years i have upgraded and played around with my system however the goal has always been to "attempt" watercooling, the time has come. I wont be doing a build from scratch but just upgrading my sig rig to watercooling. I have been waiting ages for the 290x vaporx block to come out so now it has i have run out of excuses not to. I will be modding the bottom of the 540, cutting out the hotswaps and adding a plate in to flatten the bottom so the rad in the front will fit properly.

I have put countless hours into researching how to's, watercooling components, do's and dont's but i am still a n00b when it comes to watercooling so take it easy on me and please give me your comments and criticisms (its the only way to learn).

Current Rig
  • Case - Corsair Air 540 White
  • CPU - FX-8350
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600Mhz
  • Hard Drive 1 - Kingston HyperX 128GB
  • Hard Drive 2 - Samsung Pro 256GB
  • Hard Drive 3 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • Motherboard - Sabertooth 990FX
  • GPU - Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X OC
  • Power - Corsair AX1200I

W/C components
Fittings

Misc
All parts are already ordered and just waiting for delivery. I will update wit pictures of the rigs current state and i will also endeavor to take pictures and update throughout my progress.

Update 13/08/15

I have been wanting and waiting for skylake for a long time now. the itch to make the jump to intel was growing stronger with every passing day. But i held out and now skylake has dropped.

Upgrade is consisting of the following

• Intel 6700k (Purchased and received)
  • Asus z170 Deluxe
  • 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4x4gb 3200mhz cas15

I was poking around on the online stores on release day just looking at prices (wasnt going to order until i could buy all at once). i noticed that all the UK stores were selling the 6700k for around £320 until i cam across ebuyer who were selling at £263, i quickley realised their mistake, they had not included tax on the base price but had quoted the price as including tax. I ordered, got confirmation and have now received my shiny new 6700k for £263, bargin biggrin.gif

The motherboard and memory will have to wait until payday, just 12 more days to go'

I am also looking at upgrading to vardar fans for the rads as they have just released the new ER range with an all white fan that is looking pretty awesome.

Update 14/08/15

placed an order for 5 EK Vardar 120ER white fans, 1 EK Vardar 140ER black and a phobya 4pin PWM splitter + one extrra 120 vardar just encase the 140 wont fit with the I/O shield on the Asus deluxe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

So the majority of parts have arrived now and i am just waiting on Radiators, pump combo, drain valve and tubing.

Mounting hardware for EK supremacy evo

EK Supremacy evo

Base teaser shot

And again

Microfins of copper base

Re-assembled block with insert and jetplate 2 with the AMD mounting bracket, not as good looking as the intel one i know

2 of the EK compression fittings

1 of the EK 45 degree rotary fittings

Fittings for the draining system

Draining system - This drain system will connect to the font rad as the ports will be the lowest point in the system. It's going to be connected to the red by the right male to male rotary to allow me to rotate the full draining assembly out of the way when not in use. Out of the 4 way T fitting there will be a small male to male that the valve will attach to with the other side of the 4way having a temp sensor attached to my current fan controller (Lamptron fc 5 v2). On the left there is another male to male rotary that the 45 degree and compression will fit to, leading to the GPU.

EDIT - GPU block pics to come later
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Today i managed to make a start (and almost finish) the bottom pannel mod, was meant to start on friday but help didnt arrive home untill it was dark and yesterday England decided to do something very uncharacturistic of it and chuck it down. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Plenty of pictures to follow.

no more progress will be made untill about friday im afraid as I am away for work mon-tues and have other commitments getting in the way wed-thurs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
Hey, for your 1st attempt this is quite adventurous.
I stuck to an EK-Kit for my 1st go, probably be a while before i attempt anything more complicated lol.

Subbed though, be good see this progress biggrin.gif

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousAddict View Post

Hey, for your 1st attempt this is quite adventurous.
I stuck to an EK-Kit for my 1st go, probably be a while before i attempt anything more complicated lol.

Subbed though, be good see this progress biggrin.gif

Cheers and thanks for the sub.

I have done a lot of research into watercooling over the past year+ and thought go bit or go home really lol.

Im just sorting out some more pics to go up now but im on a work laptop so its going a tad slow.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Much progress today, cut out the bottom hotswaps, cut panel for the bottom and started painting it (doesnt sound like much progress but took me ages to make it fit)

Case with all my hardware removed

The hotswap bays to be removed

Tempted to drill a hole here at the front to allow access to the bleeding valve of the UT60 just encase its needed

Rear compartment where the pump will be positioned. I am going to cut a hole in the top to allow me access to the fill port of the res, just to make it a lot easier to fill. not going to be using a propper buldhead or fill port fitting as it wont really need to be used all that often (hopefully)

Getting the dremmel out for her maiden voyage

Obligatory spark shot (pro tip, wear long sleeved shirts to avoid painful sparks)

Not bad for my first ever dremmel attempt

accidentally took a chunk out of the foot. its held in place with a screw under the rubber but that rubber was stuck on pretty tight

Measured out the bottom pannel ready to cut

IT FITS wheee.gif allbeit after a couple of hours

Not a bad fit, even if i do say so myself

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Looking good, Similar to what i want to do wih my 540, fill port up top for the res in the back and cut he hot swap bays out.

Just a heads up, that back honey comb panel above the psu will hold the weight of 3x 3.5" drives no problem if you need it too. only downside is that you have to lose the 2.5" bays.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 891 (Unique: 610)
man,.,, Keep em coming smile.gif .. and about the sparks .... I don't care much about few arm hair being burnt.. WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES biggrin.gif... thankfully i didn't have to learn that the hard way biggrin.gif

New member? Cool, welcome to the forums and Why don't fill in your rig specs so we can help you
follow this Guide

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmsy View Post

Looking good, Similar to what i want to do wih my 540, fill port up top for the res in the back and cut he hot swap bays out.

Just a heads up, that back honey comb panel above the psu will hold the weight of 3x 3.5" drives no problem if you need it too. only downside is that you have to lose the 2.5" bays.

I have brought a 3.5 adapter to have hdd in the drive bay, not sure if I listed it in the components or not. Thanks for the heads up. Good luck on yours. Let us know how it turns out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzinho View Post

man,.,, Keep em coming smile.gif .. and about the sparks .... I don't care much about few arm hair being burnt.. WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES biggrin.gif... thankfully i didn't have to learn that the hard way biggrin.gif
Ohh I made sure I was wearing goggles, even though I was I did feel a few bits hit my forehead. I will most definitely keep the pics coming, possibility more tonight depending on how long it takes for me to get back from this training. The res pump combo was delivered yesterday along with the ut60. Just waiting on tubing now
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Ahhh I see, I did away with the drive bays but that's a good shout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in