[Build Log] Pew Pew Reactor (powered by "Grape Soda") - Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2 X99 system. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Pew Pew Reactor (powered by "Grape Soda") - Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2 X99 system.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 78)
Hey people smile.gif
resurrecting my build log as I have Finally put my AIO on .

I did a test run outside the case to check for leaks, all good
I added the Dyes to make it purple, and ran it outside the case to A: check I had sealed the cap and B: mix the dyes up.

Well I added too much red and too much blue and its a very very very dark purple. Learned that lesson.

Installation was not too difficult, it was good to have some spare hands to hand from my buddies.

Temperatures at stock idle 28c - 33c, Intel Extreme load test 48c-52c

Using my previous 4.3GHz 1.25v OC profile, Idle 48c-45c load 64c-71c

This was all with an insane ambient room temperature of around 32c due to an abnormally warm day and the central heating being left on.

Here's a few potato pictures while I get some proper camera shots sorted out.

♦░▒█▓▒░♦MSI X99S Motherboard Owners Club♦░▒█▓▒░♦

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

Z87 Corsair C70 Build Log
meet "Twisting Get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Moar Pictures smile.gif

Hyper Speed Installation

The top bracket installation while simple has an annoying issue with the thread through the mounting bushes, they tighten up before the motherboard mounts tighten up which means re-doing it until its firm, otherwise you get a wobbly top plate (take Note Raijintek!!!)

Ready for power on test.

My friend testing his Triton after it arrived with a mis-threaded hose connector on the rad.

Its up and running nicely, some overclocking fun to be had over the holidays

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

meet "Twisting Get"
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok guys, here's another update smile.gif

A Couple of things have been done to my system which may interest some of you.
I have firstly upgraded my fans on the Raijintek Triton cooler, with some BeQuiet 2200rpm Shadow Wings 120mm Fans rated 76.2cfm and 2.7mmH2O.

Then I proceeded to attempt to get better temperatures from my MSI R9 290 Gaming by replacing the fans and shroud with two 120mm fans (taken from the Triton) I am assuming that these fans are the Raijintek Boreas fans which state a 65.68cfm and a static pressure of 2.24mmH2O.

before Rad fan replacement pic:

BeQuiet Fans installed (and looking very nice too)

I then went onto modifying the GPU, this initial modification was to be done solely with cable ties, I am trying to come up with a better mounting solution possibly with Meccano if the measurements fit.
N.B. This is most certainly easier with two people.

First off I removed just the 4 rear screws from the backplate to allow me to increase the gap at the back to unplug the fans, and plug in the adaptor cable which came from Gelid. The smudge on the backplate is some superglue that smeared when I was dealing with that stripped head earlier.

Very gently pull the heatsink away from the board to allow for unplugging the fan cable.

Next remove the shroud which is held in with just 4 screws under the fans.

See the 4 screw points on the heatsink, those must be usable with some kind of fan mounting contraption, I will be investigating this further.

adapter cable seated

lining the fans up to get an idea of mounting and to work out where the cable ties are going to go. This is important because fitting the fans too far over the PCI-E connector could have motherboard mounting issues.

Tying the fans on:

A quick check that the card will fit in the pci-e slot

More ties

In the machine and connecting everything up: and powering on smile.gif

So everything went quite well, took about 1.5 hours to do the job.

The GPU actually idles around 7c cooler, playing battlefield 4 still lets it get to 87c, in my very warm room, it does however peak at that temperature for shorter periods and takes a while longer to get there.
So I would say these fans (which probably aren't the best) are slightly better than the stock MSI solution.

The rear fan on my MSI Cooler BTW would need replacing if I were to put it back, there is definitely a grinding in there that stops it turning freely.

Thanks for continuing to read thumb.gif

Almost Forgot!, the BeQuiet fans dropped the CPU temp under load by 5c, lovely little investment ! smile.gif

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

meet "Twisting Get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Further GPU Mods happening tonight.
In the mean time I have moved my Rad to the bottom of the case yielding another 8c ish drop in CPU temps, and enabling better airflow
140mm fans re-applied to the front just bringing in a little extra air.

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

meet "Twisting Get"
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Cheers ErrorFile

GPU Mod update time smile.gif

So the cable ties proved that strapping a couple of tans to my R9 290 was as good if not a little better than the stock cooler
and with the rear fan on the stock cooler slowly giving up the ghost, I thought it was time to try and come up with a more permanent and tidy solution.

Here is the process and final shots biggrin.gif

Using two 120mm fan grilles, I was able to line up the bars with the screw holes in the MSI heatsink, using some washers (Mine are plastic), 2mm hole with 4-5mm edge, I was able to grip down on the bars using the original screws.

Used silicon fan mounts as they can easily be pre-applied to the underside of the grilles rather than screws, where access would be restricted by the heatsink once the grilles are mounted

GPU temps now stay below 85c which is much much better than the stock cooler and about 2-3c better than the previous cable tie solution. It could be the Deepcool fans though having better SP than the Raijintek fans.

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

meet "Twisting Get"
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Nice build! About to start a project in this case! Got a question about the graphics card. According to cooltek website, you can fit a card of 295mm, with fans in front. How thick is your radiator? The card is 276mm of length, right? Is the radiator only 21mm thick redface.gif Looks like you got space aswell!?

Björn showed us what kind of level one can achieve with a keen eye for detail and a sense for style. - SM i PC moddning 2015
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The Radiator and fans make it a tight squeeze with my GPU modded the way it is, you can apparently fit a full length card in there, but the rad will not be front mounted and the front fans may need to go on the outside which limits air intake a little

My radiator as in the pics above sits at the bottom, and does very well with two silent wings pulling through the filter at the bottom.
The rad is a standard one bought as part of the Triton cooler 21mm sounds about right, will have to measure it when I get home.

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

meet "Twisting Get"
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMan1971 View Post

The Radiator and fans make it a tight squeeze with my GPU modded the way it is, you can apparently fit a full length card in there, but the rad will not be front mounted and the front fans may need to go on the outside which limits air intake a little

My radiator as in the pics above sits at the bottom, and does very well with two silent wings pulling through the filter at the bottom.
The rad is a standard one bought as part of the Triton cooler 21mm sounds about right, will have to measure it when I get home.

Would be awsome if you could measure rad+fans and then card. Will make my life so much easier wink.gif

Are you happy with the case? Looks darn amazing!

Björn showed us what kind of level one can achieve with a keen eye for detail and a sense for style. - SM i PC moddning 2015
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The case is flipping gorgeous and I love it to bit, carrying it is great too the shape is quote ergonomic for the task.

I will certainly grab the tape measure when I get home smile.gif
which variant did you get?

X99 Cooltek W2 Build Log
Pew Pew Reactor

meet "Twisting Get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in