New and exciting.....maybe - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New and exciting.....maybe

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey everyone. This is my first build log so sorry if its a bit lacking. The PC is for a friend of a friend but to save myself some typing I'll just refer to to them as my friend. Its a micro atx build, personally small PC's never really did it for me but like I said its my friends so I didnt get to pick all the hardware. But on the bright side since hes not in a huge rush to have it I'm hoping I'll get to try out a few mods that I haven't gotten around to yet. At minimum I'm Hoping I'll be able to install a window and sleeve the cables. Some new things im hoping to try are an Illuminated acrylic sheet behind the SSD backplate. Earlier this week I saw a thread here about putting a window in your SSD which I really liked but dont think I'm ready to try that for the first time with someone else's hardware. Now for the current hardware list.

Case: Bitfenix Colossus Micro ATX
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper M5
CPU: Intel i7 4790K
Memory: Corsair Vengance 16gb
Power Supply: Fractal Integra R2 750w
SSD: Samsung 840 pro 256gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb
Video Card: EVGA GTX 770
DVD Drive: Just your standard nothing special drive
CPU Cooler : Nactua NH-C14

I'm still not sure what I'm doing for the mods so I'll update that when it finally gets settled. Whenever I plan on doing any modding I like to put the PC together and make sure everything is working correclty before I start voiding warranties. I know it's a micro atx build but looking at the case I feel like its lacking room compared to some other small form factor cases. There are two 120mm fan cutouts at the top of the case but if you use a standard 5.25 drive the one towards the front of the case becomes unusable unless you mount the fans on the top of the case which would require cutting of the cases top cover. Also the only real place to hide cables is behind the power supply. Which I shouldn't really complain since the case isn't supposed to have a window. Also since the power supply isn't modular I'm definitely going to need to shorten all of the cables to help out with reducing some of the clutter. Another thing I don't really like about this case is that with the power and reset buttons being located on the door of the case its virtually impossible to hide the cables that plug into the motherboard. so I think I'm going to end up moving all of that torwards the top middle of the door when I install the window.

So after I got everything plugged in I tried powering on the PC and all that I got was the fans and lights coming on for a few seconds then shutting off right away. This process would repeat until I turned off the power supply. I checked to make sure everything was plugged in that needed to be and that all the connectors were snug tried again but got the same results. I think that there is some sort of faulty grounding and so far the steps Iv'e taken were to test the power supply to make sure it's working properly. I also took everything back out of the case and hooked up everything on my XL mod mat with just the minimum components required to boot the pc. This also produced the same result. I took the memory out and tried powering it on to see if it would beep but the only thing it does is power on for a few seconds, shut off, and repeat. I created a ticket with Gigabtye and am now awaiting a response, so I'll update this when I hear back from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Gigabyte got back to me today and I must have missed the detail about needing a bios refresh to support the new Haswell refresh. Unfortunatly since I don't have any friends willing to be without a PC for a day I'll have to send it back to them so they can do it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I finally got a chance to work on the pc again yesterday and my friend decided he would let me try the illuminated acrylic panel. About a week ago I ordered all the necessary pieces I needed I followed a guide I found here and decided to use a mirrored peice along with a clear and two translucent blue pieces of acrylic for good light diffusion. My original plan was to use a peice of black acrylic for the front layer with the design my friend sent me cut out of it do the blue would shine through. But the peice of black acrylic I thought I had was actually blue so that's why there were two layers of blue. I didn't get to glue the leds to the acrylic yet but these are my results using some tape to hold it together

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in