Bought a drill press for my first ever mod, and attempt at drilling as well, into my beloved Caselabs Merlin - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bought a drill press for my first ever mod, and attempt at drilling as well, into my beloved Caselabs Merlin

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 26)
Hello everyone

I am planning my first ever experience in actual DIY modding, specifically just some simple case modifications. As simple as it is, I have procrastinated on this for a long time. This config I have planned has been something I wanted to do in previous builds over and over, but I lacked the guts and patience to follow through, and always ended up compromising. But not this time....

What my end goal is, is simply mounting two Bitspower 250mm DDC pump/reservoir combos to the wall of my Caselabs Merlin SM8, side by side, facing the opposite side wall of the chassis, so that calls for 8 holes total (2 each for EK DDC UNI mount/holder, 2 each for Bitspower Res clamps). In addition, I need to drill two 20mm holes above the tops of the reservoirs for Bitspower fillports/panel fittings. I also have M3 and M4 threaded nylon spacers I intend to use as I want partial cable clearance as the 24 pin ATX may run a tad underneath one of the units.

Im happy im working with aluminum, but the actual inside chassis divider wall I intend to drill feels very thick, 2.3mm I believe. I really dont want to ruin this piece, or perhaps warp or somehow ruin any of the holes. Obviously absolute precision measurements is a must, and ive never drilled before on anything ever, so I ended up just buying a tabletop drill press (albeit a cheap one). I also bought several clamps, filers, masking tape, a dremel and some accessories, and a step-drill bit that goes up to 3/4".

now ive heard that for the Bitspower fill ports, I should perhaps start with a 15mm hole and then file up to the 20mm size to be safe. Also, do I need to worry about getting a center punch or anything? I literally bouight the drill press for this one project, I already feel im being paranoid and perhaps going a lil overboard.

But still, any suggestions and tips are GREATLY appreciated, i could really use any insight or precautions before doing this. Ive never really been experienced with handiwork and craftsmanship (oddly, as im pretty good with my hands and dexterity however).

Thank you so much!

Daniel of Singularity Computers is a genius and the best system builder on Earth.... The channel and information that he has been so generous and benevolent share with everyone, should indeed be soaked in by.... everyone!
Thank you Daniel!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
**Every enthusiast water cooler out there should expand abilities as an a true engineer and craftsman, and the industry and community will grow and progress tenfold thumb.gif**

post-flame-small.gif Haswell-E Overclock Leaderboard & Owners Club post-flame-small.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Just make sure you double check where the holes are supposed to go. Use the right size bit for what you need and you should be fine. If your really concerned find something else to drill first to get the feel of it. Its just holes man dont overthink it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 PM
asg
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 29)
I used the same fillports.

Cover area with blue painters tape. Measure and mark center - then measure again.

I normally start with the center punch to keep bit from moving around.

Start with a small 1/8" bit and then use a step bit to get to the size you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in