G3 Blue & White Case Mod. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

G3 Blue & White Case Mod.

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Introduction:

My first computer was a Powerbook "Lombard" G3 in 2003. I moved on to a Quicksilver G4, a white Macbook "Core Duo", and now a 15" "Sandy Bridge" Macbook Pro. I'm currently a system admin who, while confident in things computer-related, is not much of a handyman. I'll be using a first generation Powermac G3 B&W. This machine was actually given to me by a friend whom I used to play Age of Empires II with as teen (on my Lombard) . Lots of sentimental value. Should be fun!

Plan: Dual, roof-mounted water coolers, floor-mounted PSU

Build:

ASRock H97M 1150
ASUS R9270 2GB
Core i3 3.5Ghz
Kingston 2x4GB
Corsair H55 & H90
Corsair CX600M
A few Samsung 830 SSDs

Swifttech Reservoir
Odds and ends include clear Tygon tubing, spring clamps, and coolant from FrozenCPU.

* Note * Since the radiators with these cheaper blocks are aluminum I got corrosion-resistant coolant.

The priority here was cost. List pricing (without the SSDs that I had lying around) comes to around $700. Got the lot for under $400, so... I'm happy.

Case!

Shot of components. Mobo still in the mail at this time... * sad face *

Always fun to see how far things have come in a decade or two.

Gutted.

Dumb and in my way

Naked!

Uncle's workshop. He was kind enough to continue using the word 'we' when he was clearly doing a majority of the work.

No way to keep the original latch with the size of radiators. I figured even if I eventually get one nice, long radiator down the road it still would barely fit. So out the lock comes!

More nubs. Always in the way.

Uncle's solution was infinitely better than mine. I'm learnin already...

Measure 11 times, cut once?

Cut 4 times...

Given the tiny Mobo size the audio ports were completely blocked by a metal separator. It had to come out. Took out a separating PCI card bar, too.

The latching mechanism on the doors of these was actually a plastic sheet that would physically bend with a handle. Needed to carve out some space given the change in Mobo mount points.

Floor cuts to get that PSU close to the wall. It isn't going to be flush, but I'm more interested in the air intake of the PSU, so if it's exhaust leaks a bit and goes out the roof I'm not sweating it.

To reach from the door when opened across the floor and up the back wall is a bit of distance (~ 5.5 feet), so I thought a quick pressure test couldn't hurt.

Difference in flow rate on floor and over 6 feet vertically with pumps in series was unnoticeable. Also my hot wife.

CPU

My low end GPU

Obligatory "object in reflection" shot

I'm working out the Mobo, reservoir, PSU, and radiator mounts this week. Will head back to the Uncle's workshop next weekend to clean up dents, patch some holes, and begin priming the inner case.

<3,

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:11 AM
MMO Enthusiast

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
subbed! thumb.gif

My mods:
Corsair 300R Brushed Metal [MOD]
WoodBox [Scratch Build]
Dell Optiplex 170L 2.0 [MOD]
Frankenstein
(10 items)
Old but Gold
(8 items)
CPU
Intel i5 4590
Motherboard
Dell
GPU
Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX570 4G
RAM
Crucial
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black
Hard Drive
Crucial M400
Power Supply
Corsair RM650
Case
Dell Optiplex 170L
Monitor
HP 2311x
Mouse
Logitech MX518
CPU
QX9300
Motherboard
Dell
GPU
Nvidia Quadro FX3700M
RAM
Hynix
Hard Drive
Corsair Force 3
Case
Dell Precision M6400
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
17" WUXGA
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Two-tie belt around the top to old the actual fasteners in. VERY tight. Chose to use 4-pairs of tiny mounting-ties, as I didn't have a size in between the two on hand.

Lots O baby ties on the bottom.

Sweet. Looks good.

Snip snip.

In retrospect I recommend cutting the closing-fasteners that go on the bottom off from their stem FIRST, before doing any tightening. Actually cutting the tails from underneath was hard, as I was scared to accidentally scratch the board. Definitely recommending cutting the tails off prior to tightening the bottom.

Off to sanding/ painting metal and finishing cutting the plastic tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 62)
Looks interesting so far, keep it up thumb.gif
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Clooney View Post

Off to sanding/ painting metal and finishing cutting the plastic tomorrow!

As ghetto as that is, I like it! I might end up doing that tongue.gifthumb.gif
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 12:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Ghetto mounted coolers thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif! I haven't seen many AIO coolers opened up. Can't wait to see the finished mod!

█▓▒█▓♦ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club ♦█▓▒█▓
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sheet aluminum, metal epoxy, and bondo!

Backing

Sanding (100 grit)

BONDOOO

Mock layout with janky risers (need new ones)

Checkin GPU clearance to the PSU. Looks good!

Checking RAM/ CPU clearance to the ceiling radiators. Also Good! (I should be able to get away with much taller risers, which should let me run more wires and even some water tubing behind the board)

A little too much room

Excellent...

I have my PSU at my amplifier repair guy's shop (I love saying "I have an amp guy" :3). He's extending the power cable and switch wiring so I can leave the PSU on the floor and mount them in the middle of the back of the case.

Thanks to my Uncle, friend Chris, and Darrell at Onyx Amplification for all the engineering talks!

CHRIS I GENUINELY PLAN ON PAINTING TOMORROW AFTERNOON I PROMISE
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So... Got a little bit of bits and bumps. Not a lot, but a little. I tried warming up the metal a bit, shook the paint cans well, etc, but I guess that's what I get for painting outdoors in the Northwest in January... :\ Anyway, I think Chris' recommendation of a final clear coat was spot on, and overall I'm happy with how the patching and painting has turned out. Two thin coats of primer, 2-3 thin coats of paint, and 2 thin coats of seal.

Primer! I love you.

Not bad for a newbie smile.gif

Can't recommend Duple Color enough! The stuff is awesome. Found heat-rated paint (up to 500 F) for $7 a can. 1 can primer, 2 cans white, and 1 can clear. The nozzles on these things are really comfortable, easy to press for long periods of time, accurate, and don't spatter (although I still did wipes in between pressing down).

Thanks Chris for the direction on this one! smile.gif

Joel
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Back at Uncle's as he does some plastic cutting. He picked up a special, low friction cutter for his Dremel for plastic, designed to not generate so much heat so the plastic doesn't melt.

Drawin a picture

Uncle measuring...

Cut!

Sanded!

NEXT

BAM?

BAM! Now, this was necessary since I used a really tiny board, where the top graphics slot (and only PCI slot on the Mobo) requires the board be behind where this bar was. We cut the metal out from behind it a while ago.

Cleaned and polished - so classy. The reservoir is going to be mounted to the front wall here, so my hope is with a small LED be able to see the water level through the faceplate.

Measure thrice, cut once!

So all we did was cut out the thin, dark grey plastic. Since the original paneling was so transparent, you could see the speaker and front panel button grating through it! So, they put some solid grey on the bottom front panel to reduce transparency. Removing it should let us see through it. smile.gif

Panelling all done!

I'm going to get the panelling back from Uncle's and the PSU out of the shop in the next few days, so I should be able to install hardware this weekend. smile.gif

Joel
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Clooney View Post

I'm going to get the panelling back from Uncle's and the PSU out of the shop in the next few days, so I should be able to install hardware this weekend. smile.gif

Joel

Looking forward to it been enjoying this build thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in