[Build Logs] A two-for ... HTPC and NAS (not to mention running Ethernet for my house) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Logs] A two-for ... HTPC and NAS (not to mention running Ethernet for my house)

post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Over the past few years, I have been trying to get the TV that I record on my PC (via a ceton InfiniTV PCIe card) watchable upstairs on my Samsung Smart TV. I recorded some wtv files to a more generic form (MP4), established a wireless connection between my TV and my Computer ... but it just wasn't working for me. The sound was off, it was choppy. Bad all the way around.

Later I tried a ceton extender and it worked. BUT! It required an Ethernet connection and neither the Wife or I were too thrilled with a blue Ethernet cable running from the study to the TV room. I also wasn't too happy with using my gaming PC as a HTPC and for storage. Time for a dedicated HTPC and a NAS.

But before that, I Ethernet'ed my house. This adventure in research, discussion, floating ideas, being criticized, etc, etc is poorly documented on my web site.

It was all coming together, Ethernet, edge router, patch panel, switch, etc, etc ... but then we decided to move from New York to Boston. We've found a beautiful house ... but it doesn't have an Ethernet wired network (so I will have to do all of that hard work again). But, I can reuse my equipment.

Now to the PC fun part ... deciding on the type of HTPC and the NAS. This build log will document the planning, thinking, researching, hacking, modding and build for these two PCs.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

HTPC Index
  1. Initial Thoughts for the HTPC ... centering on the case
  2. PSU and cable thoughts following a comment about the HTPC build
  3. A fun time with coolers - trying to get the Cryorig C1 to fit on my preferred motherboard
  4. An (almost final) parts list
  5. $5 for me after a price drop
  6. Order update #1 - PSU
  7. Order update #2 - CPU
  8. Some parts have started to arrive (ram, mobo, cooler) ... and some dremel work on the case
  9. Build and initial cable management
  10. Quiz re cooler fan
  11. Final pictures
  12. CPU Temperature Testing
  13. Trying the C1 cooler with a 25mm fan

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

NAS Index
  1. Initial Thoughts for the NAS
  2. Very early PSU considerations
  3. The case journey is quick and one day ahead of expectations
  4. The Case is revealed
  5. PSU selected
  6. Initial fan placement selected
  7. Just how tall is a Define R5 5-HDD bay?
  8. 5 or 6 fans ... but how to power them?

NAS Components and Build Options

Green is purchased, red is decided but not purchased.

Everything has now been purchased. Excluding the HDDs, the cost is $664. The HDDs cost me $600. There are a couple of extracts that need to be thrown in (R5 5 HDD cage, some sleeved PSU cables, couple of cans of spray paint) but they should be well covered by $100.

Here are some ready made options ...

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OTHER Index
  1. Chat with NewEgg over a recent order

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

HTPC

My initial thinking on a HTPC was to go super minimal. Get a case such as ...

In fact, every time I google for small computer cases, I come across one that I want to use ...

The main fascination here was small, quiet(!) and not too ugly. I even found one that had a raised motherboard tray so that you could run your cabling behind it. I tried any number of ways of setting this up and using the PSU supplied with the case (the best way of keeping it small and quiet) but all of my configurations ended up blowing the wattage allowance.

From this, I moved onto a bigger footprint, in particular, the Silverstone GD10 ...

That looks much more like a desktop computer, 120mm fans on both sides, a pair of 80mm exhaust fans at the back, etc, etc.

I finally settled on the Silverstone ML07B ...

This HTPC has exactly the same internals as the Raven RVZ01. I didn't like the external look of the Raven so I went with the Milo instead. It is sitting downstairs in the basement waiting for parts.

I am pretty settled on my build specs but I remain challenged on the CPU cooler and the PSU. Silverstone continues their development and is releasing new PSUs for this form factor. It seems that they are changing the size and location of the PSU fan and semi-invalidating the air intake in their cases. The Raven case has been through 2 changes and the current version is 1.3. The Milo that I own has the smaller 80mm, offset PSU intake which makes it hard for me to move onto their newer PSU ... or I could just cut a steaming big hole in my case.

Not only that, they continue to develop external shells for this internal chassis. Here is their latest, the Fortress ...

The benefit to me is that it looks much nicer (to me) than the Milo and, it appears, that the external shell comes off. The Raven's sides came off, the Milo's don't ... and there are cable routing options between the internal and external shells that I want to use.

Edit: The milo sides do come off. There are some plastic clips that you can push / unclip and remove the sides. Just be careful as those clips are only plastic and can be broken off.

So ... do I tank the Milo and buy a Fortress? Gaaaa - Silverstone ... stop developing nice looking stuff.

Edit2: and then there is the Fractal Design Node 605 ... yum.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

We've found a beautiful house ... but it doesn't have an Ethernet wired network (so I will have to do all of that hard work again). But, I can reuse my equipment.

Good job thumb.gif. I will be following this. I will probably end up etherneting my brother's newly built house as the developers wanted to "nickel and dime" him on putting that package in, even though they put the CAT5e lines in for phones. A simple afternoon of re-patching some of these runs should clear most of that up. You did not have that luxury with your more established home, which makes it somewhat more difficult but also more fulfilling. When I finally get a house, I will definitely do some projects like this.

I honestly try not to be condescending (which means "to talk down to") . . .

Circular reasoning works because... circular reasoning works because... circular reasoning works because...
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

NAS

I think I had an easier go of it re the NAS. I didn't have any preconceived thoughts about what I wanted to I spend some time googling various how-to NAS reviews and posts. There are boxes that you can buy but some of the reviews and polls that you see online include the option of building it yourself. There has been one blog that I have been following for a number of years ... by Brian. He wrote an entry about his first NAS back in 2012. He updated it in 2014 as well as peppering in some about economical NASes (is there a plural for NAS?).

Late last year, I decided to add a NAS to my network. I started to pull together parts based on Brian's 2014 version. This is what I came up with (see www.pcpartpicker.com list below). It even had a strong color scheme with the mobo, ram, psu and case all black. I could even swap out the cooler for a cryorig with a black shroud. I even found some cool looking case fans.

NAS2014.jpg

Then Brian threw a huge curve ball at me and changed his plan of attack re NAS with his NAS 2015 blog post. He started with a mobo that had an integrated CPU and was passively cooled. He also moved from 'normal' ram to ECC ram - losing the colored heat spreader.

Check his mobo ...

... and his ram ...

How on earth am I meant to make a black color scheme with that? I just might go the whole hog and make a green, blue, white color scheme. Throw in some suitable case fans, mod the case, etc, etc. It doesn't have to be pretty ... it can be as garish as you possible - it is going to live in the basement in a dark corner and no one will ever see it (except maybe the guy doing the furnace service).

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Definitely interested in seeing your finished builds.
I also enjoyed browsing around on your site.
You and your projects should feel right at home here. That being said, welcome to overclock,net!

I saw that you were undecided on your power supply and cooler for your htpc.
I built my Htpc in a Raven Rvz01. I used a Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W Power Supply with a Silverstone PP05 Short Cable Set .
They both worked great inside the Raven. The power supply has been going strong for over a year now.
For a cooler, I chose a Noctua NH-L9i because of it's small / compact size.
I could not have been happier with my choice.

Again, looking forward to seeing your finished builds.
Welcome to the forums! smile.gif
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilliams01207 View Post

Definitely interested in seeing your finished builds.
I also enjoyed browsing around on your site.
You and your projects should feel right at home here. That being said, welcome to overclock,net!

Thanks.
Quote:
I saw that you were undecided on your power supply and cooler for your htpc.
I built my Htpc in a Raven Rvz01. I used a Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W Power Supply with a Silverstone PP05 Short Cable Set .
They both worked great inside the Raven. The power supply has been going strong for over a year now.

I've been looking at the 45SF-G too. Its fan matches with the holes in my case so that is a plus. The newer models have the ability to go fan-less so that is a plus. Re the Short Cable Set ... the silverstone web site reports that the length of the main power cable that comes with the ST45SF-G is 300mm (about 12") while the length of the main power cable that comes with the PP05 is 350mm (about 14"). So ... the Short Cable Set has longer cables.
Specs for cables in the ST45SF-G (Click to show)
1 x 24 / 20-Pin motherboard connector(300mm)
1 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector(400mm)
1 x 8/6-Pin PCIE connector(400mm)
1 x 6-Pin PCIE connector(400mm / 150mm)
3 x SATA connector(300mm / 220mm / 100mm)
2 x 4-Pin Peripheral connector (300mm / 200mm)
1 x 4-Pin Floppy connector(300mm / 200mm / 200mm)
Specs for cables in the PP05 (Click to show)
1 x 20+4pin ATX adapter (350mm)
1 x EPS/ATX12V 8pin(4+4) connector (350mm)
4 x PCI-E 8pin(6+2) connector (350mm)
1 x two (2) SATA 90˚connectors (350+50mm)
1 x two (2) SATA 180˚connectors (300+150mm)
1 x two (2) 4pin connectors (300+100mm)
1 x two (2) 4pin + floppy connectors (350+100+100mm)

However, other cables are shorter and you get a broader mix. I prefer the round cables to the flat ones but that could be because I haven't used the flat ones.
Quote:
For a cooler, I chose a Noctua NH-L9i because of it's small / compact size.
I could not have been happier with my choice.

That is one of the coolers that I am / did look at. There is a thread here about this chassis design and I've been back and forth over the 3200 or so posts looking at what other owners are using and how that is turning out for them.

Thanks for your input.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

NAS

Re the PSU for the NAS ... I am having as hard a time with this selection as I am with the PSU for the HTPC ... but for different reasons. The case that I have selected (ordered, in fact, but more about that when it arrives) is on the small side. So ... the length of the PSU is a major consideration.

Options ...
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 220-G2-0750-XR - length 7.1" / 180mm
  • Corsair AX760i - length 6.3" / 160mm
  • Seasonic SS-660XP2 - length 6.3" / 160mm
  • Antec EDGE (550, 650 or 750) - length 6.7" / 170mm
  • Thermaltake PS-TPG-0650DPCGUS-G - length 7.1" / 180mm
  • Silverstone ST55F-G - length 5.5" / 140mm

Once the case arrives, I'll mock up a cardboard version of the various PSUs and see what each will look like. I already have a paper version of the motherboard that I am planning to use so I can see the cardboard PSU v the paper motherboard options. I wonder if I connect these two items if I can get it to POST.

If I am going to get custom cables, I need to check which PSUs are supported. Oh dear ... too many considerations and options.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in