HAF 912 Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

HAF 912 Build

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 6)
This started as a simple computer I made back in 2012 for Diabo 3. Since then, work has taken over and it plateaued for a good three years. My PSU died on me and I asked a friend what brand he preferred. He had an extra Raidmax 850w and a Titan Black lying around that he gave to me. Having these new toys made me rethink this build and have some fun with it. It originally started as "Let's just add a fan or two..." and grew from there. Below will be my build of my HAF912. I don't have a name for it...yet. If anyone has any comments please feel free to post. If I made a huge error and got lucky I didn't fry any components, please say something. This is my first build.

Specifications:
Case: Coolermaster HAF912
CPU: Intel I5-2500K
MoBo: Asus P8H67-M 3.0
GPU: GeForce Titan Black (originally a GeForce 550Ti
Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1333mhz
Storage: a) 2x64GB SSD RAID[OS] b) 256GB Samsun Evo Pro[Games] c) 1TB WD Caviar Black[Stuff & Things]
Power: Raidmax 850w (originally a Raidmax 630w)
Cooling: Corsair H100i

This was my original system. Simple but effective. Nothing too over the top. Decent cable management. I really enjoy the HAF912.

So around November 2014 my PSU died. I heard a clicking noise while I was playing D3, I crawled under my desk to investigate and heard a loud bang and smelled something burning. I immediately shut everything down and assessed the damage. The fan seized up inside the PSU for some reason. I started shopping around and asked a family member what he prefers. I had in-laws visiting him so on the way back they dropped off a new Raidmax 850w and a Titan Black. I didn't even know what it was...I assumed when he said "I might have a GPU you can have." it would've been something similiar to my 4 year old 550Ti. I was stoked. So then the mod bug bit.

I picked up the Raidmax 850w and the Titan Black. I was contemplating the LED color and decided to sand down the "GeForce GTX" to make it white. I enjoy green but thought that finding components and lighting for a white scheme would be easier.

I thought to myself, "I need more mods to compliment the new mods I just got." I had a few Amazon gift cards lying around so I ordered a fan or two...I picked up 2 Corsair SP120's, 1 Corsair AF140, and 1 BitFenix Spectre 200mm. I couldn't decide which fan I wanted where. I still cant...

Then more fun parts came...I actually think I tricked myself in thinking my stock cooler wasn't working adequately...So had the white LED fans and white GeForce GTX logo...I wanted cooler to match. I originally looked at the Noctua NH-D14 and the Hyper 212 but liked the look of a liquid cooling system but didn't want to hassle with a custom setup. Hello H100i. I liked the look of it, the LED on the pump was a nice touch, it had amazing reviews. The best part was that it was a toss up on if it would fit in the HAF912 without modding. I've seen some amazing workmanship to make it fit and I've seen some people with no patience and tin snips ruin their case. I bought the H100i with the sole purpose of trying to make it fit. Since i'm going to be cutting the case open, I decided to paint the case. So I de-riveted and stripped it down.

I am going to replace the red LED's for the power and HDD with white. (they are 3mm)

I cut two 1" holes that will sit right below my board so I don't have to see the USB/IO wires. (Grommets are attached in later pages. Don't worry.)

The hoses had to drop through top rear of the case. People who didn't de-rivet would take an angle grinder it it but I took a more patient approach.

I originally wanted keep it all in the case with a push setup and possibly add a pull later. The fans used in the "pull" configuration is just for mock-up purposes. I decided I was just going to mount the radiator on the outside of the case. If I left it on the inside I would have to cut up the back panel quite a bit and still didn't know if the hoses would interfere with the motherboard.

This last picture is somewhat scary. At first the hose was touching the base metal. I added some U trim from McMaster Carr but found that the thickness of the trim created some tension on the hose. I eventually bent/pried the back away from the hose. It's hardly noticeable and the hoses are free and clear.

Now with the mock-up complete I could start to paint. I painted over a 2 week course. I manage a warehouse in LA and in between breaks/lunch/deliveries/pickups I would spray a very light coat on all parts. Rustoleum Flat Black. I used the same paint on my truck and its held up very well.

I really like the way the grommets came out. A quick order to McMaster Carr and I will called an hour later. It's awesome having one around the corner from work. I also picked up the U-trim and black rivets.

Next up is putting the case back together. I used black rivets along with a Sharpie "Brush" to darken the inside of the rivet.

Transferring all the components.

Finished

It's not 100% yet. I still need to get the 3mm LEDs as well as put the front USB and audio jacks back in. I need to finish up the cable management as well. When I went to fire it up I got the dreaded DRAM red LED light. I swapped the RAM and that took care of it.

Questions:

Regarding a window. I have all the materials to do it. Including the acrylic. However, I like having the side fan. Which direction would you guys go? At times i want to add a window and other times I don't. Below was my first idea but I instantly thought "Why would I want a window to show the drive bays?"

Any other ideas you guys would like to see? I'm open to all ideas. I plan to test the build and overclock at some point. I will post more pictures as well. Thanks for taking your time and checking out my build.

-Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my MoBo, RAM, and CPU. I need a new computer for work and decided to pull out my current components and replace my components at home. Any thoughts? I really like the look of the Z97 Sabertooth and have also heard great things about the Maximus Hero. I'm leaning towards the Sabertooth partly because the aesthetics go with my build. Any of recommendations you guys would mention?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Not even one response...Man you guys are tough to impress. tongue.gif

I'd still like some input on the window idea (last section in first post)

I think I'm just going to cut out the vent and make a full-sized window on the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Nice build. You should link this to HAF club too. Anyways one of my friends has a maximus hero mobo. Very solid build and I'd say it's a nice buy than the sabertooth. Well in the end it all comes to personal taste smile.gif

I wish if I had a friend who has a Titan around. I'm trying to find a black edition one but still no luck frown.gif

Good luck with modding smile.gif

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you. I keep going back and forth between the Sabertooth and the Hero...Tough choices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in