Back in Beige - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Back in Beige

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Hi everyone! biggrin.gif

I've just started my latest computer modding project, first build log on OCN. smile.gif

I have decided to start rebuilding this old dell machine that I acquired about three years ago from a friend in very poor condition. It's been sitting ever since, but after seeing the OCN Beigemodders club https://www.overclock.net/t/1497578/ocn-beigemodders-club-from-trash-to-treasure/310#post_23696737 I felt inspired to have some fun and see what I can do with it.

The machine itself is a dell t450 from about 1998 I think (it still had windows 98 and Pentium III processor stickers on the front when I got it!
Most of the stuff inside is missing/broken and is obsolete so I will be getting rid of pretty much everything other than the case of course.

I am aware that these old dells have a very strange form factor so it will take a little metal work to get everything to fit, the motherboard standoffs will have to be grinded down and new ones installed.

Tonight I just decided to paint the side panel black after testing it on a smaller piece of plastic.
I also started attempting to remove any stickers/marks before I begin the rest of the painting, which I had been struggling to do until someone suggested I try some Wd-40, which just happens to work really well at removing sticky marks (even though it is meant to be an oil as far as I know! biggrin.gif )

My planned mods for it are:
-Mainboard swap

-Extra intake/outake fans to improve airflow.

-Repaint the whole case.

-Add extra hard drive cages.

- bracket for the new PSU to get it to fit.

-Leds

-Maybe a clear side panel later on! biggrin.gif

Should be a bit of fun, though it won't be as high a standard as some of the builds on here as I have fairly limited tools and skills when it comes to painting and metal work. I should be fine with the wiring and all that though! biggrin.gif

Here is the starting point anyway!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Did a bit more work on it over the last few nights... biggrin.gif

Have painted one of the side panels black, though I might give it a second coat as there are a few patchy areas, but not too bad for a $5.00 can of spray paint and looks way better than the old beige! biggrin.gif

Also have been working on the fan mod to get some extra air into the case (only has one fan slot from factory which is why these models apparently had a tendancy to overheat eek.gif )

It basically consists of three fans (two small one found in an old pc and one 80mm one) which will be bolted onto the plastic box. I then will cut a hole into the top of the computer so that the air is pushed by the fans through the box and into the case.
The orange fan is just for testing purposes, I intend on getting some cheap blue led fans as that will suit the black and dark blue colour scheme much better. smile.gif

Also have started painting the drive covers blue, I will probably end up installing some switches on them or something to control the fans, and I think the blue will contrast with the black nicely without being to bright! biggrin.gif

Anyway having fun with it, I'm glad I found the beige modding group here or I would never have felt inspired enough to actually try this! thumb.gif

Will hopefully touch up the painting and get onto the next bit soon (still have the top cover, side panel and front panel to paint! smile.gif

I'm wondering whether or not I should try to remove these plastic panels or whether it would better to just paint it whilst still attatched (although I can remove the front panel easily and will have to anyway or else the buttons will get ruined! biggrin.gif )

Powerg4 biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 29)
It'll be sweet to see this build as it progresses. A few years ago I had the same case but, unfortunately I had to get rid of it because I had no storage space. I remember it being a beast though. It had a ton of space to do some pretty awesome mods to. I'm really diggin the color scheme. +1 buddy.

"wнy ғollow ѕoмeone elѕeѕ paтн, wнen yoυ can rυn ѕcreaмιng тнroυgн тнe woodѕ and мaĸe yoυr own."
-n1

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question then a foolish man can from a wise answer."
-BL

ᗷᑌIᒪᗪᔕ ↴Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Haha thanks alot! biggrin.gif

Will hopefully get a bit more done on it this weekend, it's going to take a while to get it looking nice again! smile.gif

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Another update! biggrin.gif

Managed to remove all the plastic panels, the metal frame on it's own is pretty flimsy haha! tongue.gif
I've been doing a bit more painting as well.
Also used the dremel to grind out the old button so that the new toggle switch will fit.
Done a quick test fit and it fits in fine, though I want to get a momentary type dpdt so that it springs back when you release the toggle. I can then wire one set of contacts to the start pins and the other to the reset pins! biggrin.gif
Only issue is that the electronics shop doesn't sell the pin sockets for the front panel connections so I may have to get some of another case (shouldn't be a problem though, I have loads of old cases.
Also need to start cutting out the top holes for the fans and ducting that needs to go in.

The paint is still a bit rough so I'll give everything a few more coats, though i'm not expecting perfect quality from $5 paint cans, anything to ditch the beige though! thumb.gif

Should be able to get a bit more done over the next few days, though I don't know what I'll do with it when I'm done. I might use it for games as my current computer (modded Powermac) doesn't have a dvd drive which is a bit of a pain to say the least! biggrin.gif

Sorry about the terrible picture quality, I really need to get a decent camera or something, my ipod touch is hopeless! smile.gif

Powerg4

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 61 (Unique: 53)
subbed this is gonna be

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Haha thanks, hopefully it should work out good...biggrin.gif

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 06:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Awesome! I've got a few beige cases sitting around. I would join in on the competition, but I already have one mod in progress, and another in the "serious planning stage". Too many mods, too little time. *rolls eyes*
Anyways, subbed out of interest! biggrin.gif
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 16)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in