[ Build Log ] The ROG themed Core X9 ... AND Overclocking help for you guys too!! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[ Build Log ] The ROG themed Core X9 ... AND Overclocking help for you guys too!!

post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 265 (Unique: 168)
This is my build log for the ROG X9

This build is mainly for gaming @ 1440p on my Asus Swift ROG 27" 144hz G-sync Lcd. Also will be hooked up to my Samsung 65" 7150 HDTV for more relaxed gaming with wireless controller. I will not be doing much encoding or rendering really with this pc except for a few Go Pro videos here and there. Mainly a GAMER thumb.gif

So lets get down to the parts list for this build. Note that many parts will be changed out or upgraded as the build goes on. My main build usually doesn't stay the same for very long, but maybe this one will. It's hard to leave it alone as I enjoy the building and custom mods almost just as much as I like to game.

The Pc guts:
1. Asus Maximus VI Formula
2. Intel Core i7 4790K 4ghz / 4.4ghz turbo ( Devils Canyon )
3. Corsair Vengence Pro Red 32gb 2400mhz c11
4. Evga Gtx Titan X
5. Corsair Gold AX1200 psu
6. SSD's: 8x 256gb Liteon Sata 3 6gb/s , 2x 120gb OCZ Vertex 3's
7. Thermaltake Core X9 case
8. Nzxt 6 channel 30w fan controller

Water Cooling parts:
1. 1x Alphacool Monsta Quad 480mm 86mm thick
2. 2x Alphacool XT45 Triple 360mm 45mm thick
3. EK X-res 140 D5 vario
4. EK X-top D5
5. EK 3/8" ID 5/8" OD compression fittings
6. PrimoChill 3/8" ID 5/8" OD Red soft tubing
7. 10x EK Vardar F4-120 2200rpm High Performance fans
8. EK Supreme HF Acetal / Copper
9. EK Titan X full cover Acetal / Nickel with Nickel Back plate

Now for some of the idea's I wanted to do for the build.

Overclocking on the 4790K. Since this is a gaming pc mainly I will have 2 different profiles saved in my Asus bios. One will be with Hyperthreading disabled, and 2nd will be with Hyperthreading enabled. Most games do not benefit from HT and often times it actually hurts performance opposed to having it disabled.

Profile 1: ( HT off ) 5ghz @ 1.300v , 4500mhz Cache Freq @ 1.200v , XMP 2400mhz c11 @ 1.65v , Input Voltage 1.800v
Profile 2: ( HT on ) 5ghz @ 1.350v , 4500mhz Cache Freq @ 1.200v , XMP 2400mhz c11 @ 1.65v , Input Voltage 1.850v
Max temps on Profile 1 is 66c and Profile 2 is 80c , and this is with ambient around 21c (70f)

On both profiles EIST and C-states are disable so the cpu stays at a constant 5ghz at all times with no voltage drop. My preference biggrin.gif
(Overclocking has been stress tested and is fully stable after many hours of testing, and gaming.. No problems here thumb.gif )

For my hard drive setup. I have 6 of the 256gb ssd's in Raid 0 for my main OS / Gaming drive. I have to say " DAME IS IT FAST!! " .. I have tested 2x, 4x, and 6x Raid 0 setups and the 6x is still very worth it as far as benching the drives goes. The max is around 1.65gb/s that the DMI can handle and you can get there with 3x raid 0 just about, but going up to 6x has more of the testing sitting at 1.65gb/s on almost all the tested mb packages. Also this brings the write speeds into the 1.3gb/s and does so across more of the tests as well. Here is a picture of the final benchmark at 6x Raid 0 and I'm quite happy with it.

On to the case. I chose the Thermaltake Core X9 as it has room to do just about anything you want, and at a very reasonable price point. Stock the case is a little plain, but it's something to work with that's for sure. I have taken it apart and painted all the panels red as in the sides, top, and only the mesh on the front panel. I have made a custom panel to fit in front of the motherboard tray on the upper area for mounting the 10x SSD's and my D5 pumps. This panel was painted gloss black to offset some of the matte black across the stock case. I also took the mobo tray out and painted that gloss black as well to match. The painting came out great with no issues at all. No drips, no runs, no orange peeling. Take your time and it pays off.

Here's a few pic's on how the case is stock, and then how it came out after painting.

Before I got my new Alphacool radiators I used some that I had already on hand. I painted these radiators while I had the case apart for painting too. These were just temporary rads, but I'll show them anyways as it's what started the build and I have some pictures of the build up and running with them in. I will get more pictures taken of the build now with the new rads installed as well.

On to the system once it was built and up and running. The fun part biggrin.gif

This picture here is for those that like a nice clean wiring job after everything is done and hooked up. I'm not one for a rat nest of wires all over the place. This is completely wired and wrapped up great.

Much more is to come as I take more pictures and add more mods to it. I would like to convert over to Hardline for the main part of the loop going to the cpu block, mobo block, titan x block, and back to the rads. In between the 3 rads and 2 pumps will stay soft tube. Hardline to come soon.

Some other pic's of the build.

The ROG X9 thumb.gif

Ok, you guys have seen the first setup and start up of the build with the rads I had laying around. Now here's some pics with the new stuff that I bought for the build and getting it where I want. New rads, dual pumps, EK Vardar F4-120 fans, drain line, and hardline tubes vs soft tubes. Also got the EK blood red coolant, but mixed it to a more regular red that you can see through vs being so dark and not as clear.

The new Alphacool XT45's and Monsta rads, 360mm x2 and 480mm x1

The Monsta next to the XT45 thickness compared

The Alphacool Monsta quad 480mm installed

EK Vardar F4-120 fans x10 , here's a pic of the top 2 360mm rads with new fans installed

The dual D5 pumps now in series mounted and installed

Since the new rads have 6 ports on them, I installed a drain line of the monsta down at the bottom, and I can crack one of the top XT45's top ports open, or on both up top and then it will drain the whole loop very easily and fast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hardline Water Loop.

I will post pictures of my first bends and the way the hardline tubing gets routed. Lets hope this goes well, LOL. I've watched a LOT of videos on people bending tubes and how they are doing it so I have a pretty good idea. You wont learn too much until you just do it yourself tho thumb.gif

This should make for a fun weekend project.

Cleaning up the ends of a practice tube. Using my mini high speed lathe works well. Gives me a perfect 90 degree edge, then can sand very little for nice ends.

My bending board setup to make things nice and uniformed

I figured I'd start with my longest run from one of my top 360mm rads to the Cpu block. This run is pretty long so I measured about 5 times in different ways biggrin.gif

And here is my first actual tube that was needed for the loop. This came out WAY BETTER than I thought it would, especially for my first time bending a tube. The bending board setup works GREAT thumb.gif , although some people in the youtube videos say if you don't bend by hand you're a (can't say the word) LOL. I'd rather have everything look nice and uniform when it's all said and done, so (can't say the word) them tongue.gif

post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Benchmark
Firestrike ran with +250 core / +250 mem on the Titan X and 4790K @ 5ghz HT on 1.350v

Coming soon

post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well I picked up some Hardline fittings, bend kit, and 3x 36" 3/8" x 1/2" Acrylic tube. I'm going to convert most of the loop over to hardline soon. I haven't done one yet, but this will be the tester biggrin.gif

Went with PrimoChill fittings and tube as I really like the fittings they make.

post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Probably a bad time to be building in a thermaltake case. Anyway, to hell with politics! Subbed and looking forward to the finished results! thumb.gif

"I know enough to know I don't know enough"

"If you truly didn't care then why do you insist on carrying on as if you do?"

It's cute when someone glances at a topic title and then posts without reading anything else. I don't even have to respond to make you look like a fool. Your post does that for me. - DaLagga, steam forum
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTRe-X View Post

Probably a bad time to be building in a thermaltake case. Anyway, to hell with politics! Subbed and looking forward to the finished results! thumb.gif

Why you say that? Is there something going on with Thermaltake that I'm unaware of?? Well if there is, sucks for them lol. I already have my case and if there is an issue, I will make something custom to make it right to my likings thumb.gif

Thanks tho!! It is built as of now, but far from being done. It's just up and running. I just picked up all the PrimoChill fittings I need to do the main part of my loop, Rad > Cpu block, Cpu > Mobo block, Mobo > Gpu block, Gpu > Rad. That will be the main part of the loop that is all going from soft tube to hardline, for now. I may end up doing the dual D5 pumps in hardlines too if this goes well rolleyes.gif haha.

I've seen some of the hardline setups that some OCN users have done and they look AMAZING!! Really made me want to try it out and see what I can come up with. The bending is where I have no experience, but I've bent other acrylic before, just not tubing. I'd rather go with the bent tubes vs using a bunch of 90 degree fittings and straight tubes. Although, 90 degree fittings and straight tubes would be very easy to get done in a day. You can see the picture I posted in post 2 (will be most of the hardline loop pics) on using my mini high speed lathe for truing the ends perfectly. I can cut the tubes to size with a cutoff tool, and then face the ends with a carbide insert and make the tubes very accurate that way. I know it's a little overkill, but it's a lot easier than using a hacksaw and then sanding the tubes every time.

If anyone has any tips for bending acrylic tube, feel free to comment please. I'm always up for learning new tricks or hearing from those who have already done this. It will save me many pieces of bent tube that doesn't fit right LOL tongue.gif

post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone07si View Post

Why you say that? Is there something going on with Thermaltake that I'm unaware of?? Well if there is, sucks for them lol. I already have my case and if there is an issue, I will make something custom to make it right to my likings thumb.gif

Thanks tho!! It is built as of now, but far from being done. It's just up and running. I just picked up all the PrimoChill fittings I need to do the main part of my loop, Rad > Cpu block, Cpu > Mobo block, Mobo > Gpu block, Gpu > Rad. That will be the main part of the loop that is all going from soft tube to hardline, for now. I may end up doing the dual D5 pumps in hardlines too if this goes well rolleyes.gif haha.

I've seen some of the hardline setups that some OCN users have done and they look AMAZING!! Really made me want to try it out and see what I can come up with. The bending is where I have no experience, but I've bent other acrylic before, just not tubing. I'd rather go with the bent tubes vs using a bunch of 90 degree fittings and straight tubes. Although, 90 degree fittings and straight tubes would be very easy to get done in a day. You can see the picture I posted in post 2 (will be most of the hardline loop pics) on using my mini high speed lathe for truing the ends perfectly. I can cut the tubes to size with a cutoff tool, and then face the ends with a carbide insert and make the tubes very accurate that way. I know it's a little overkill, but it's a lot easier than using a hacksaw and then sanding the tubes every time.

If anyone has any tips for bending acrylic tube, feel free to comment please. I'm always up for learning new tricks or hearing from those who have already done this. It will save me many pieces of bent tube that doesn't fit right LOL tongue.gif

Nothing I see as overly important, though others seem to disagree.

I'm interested to hear how the hardlining goes in that case. It doesn't look like you have an abundance of space to work in when it comes to the measuring and such. Though I suppose you could pull the mobo tray to do most of it outside of the case.

There is a very comprehensive guide floating around with pages of talk about hard lining a build. I think it is called "Hard line 101" or something like that. If you haven't looked that over I'd suggest giving it a glance. I've haven't done any hard line work myself yet or I'd offer advice. The lathe seems like a good idea and using the cutoff tool seems standard. When you clamp the tube into the lathe are you using some kind of rubber or silicone to sleeve the tube so it doesn't get tool marks on it? If not I'd recommend something like that.

It's cute when someone glances at a topic title and then posts without reading anything else. I don't even have to respond to make you look like a fool. Your post does that for me. - DaLagga, steam forum
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I didn't use anything on the tube when putting in the lathe. I wiped the jaws off good and then just snugged it up so it wouldn't mark it at all. As long as you use high speeds there is barely any resistance from the tool and shouldn't be a problem with plastic really. I didn't get any marks tho that time when facing both ends. Thanks for the tip on the 101. I will look that over as this is my first time with the hard line loop.

Just made my first couple bends to get a feel for how much heat to give before starting the bending. 1st time was way to much heat and the tube deformed some and crinkled in the inside corner. 2nd one I just started to apply pressure and bend as it was heating up and that did A LOT better and looks pretty good for my 2nd bend practicing. It will take a little bit to get the hang of it, but I got time biggrin.gif

Here's the 2nd bend tho on the same piece. I have a run that will need to go 90 right and then 90 up, so I figured I'd give that a try first just to see. Those monsoon bending mandrels look like they would be nice to keep things very uniformed tho. I might buy one, or just make one with a 1/2" ball endmill at work and write a program for the CNC to make the same thing. Might just be easier to buy it tho as it may take more time messing around to make that part lol.

Popped my cherry tho on this lachen.gif

post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 07:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone07si View Post

I didn't use anything on the tube when putting in the lathe. I wiped the jaws off good and then just snugged it up so it wouldn't mark it at all. As long as you use high speeds there is barely any resistance from the tool and shouldn't be a problem with plastic really. I didn't get any marks tho that time when facing both ends. Thanks for the tip on the 101. I will look that over as this is my first time with the hard line loop.

Just made my first couple bends to get a feel for how much heat to give before starting the bending. 1st time was way to much heat and the tube deformed some and crinkled in the inside corner. 2nd one I just started to apply pressure and bend as it was heating up and that did A LOT better and looks pretty good for my 2nd bend practicing. It will take a little bit to get the hang of it, but I got time biggrin.gif

Here's the 2nd bend tho on the same piece. I have a run that will need to go 90 right and then 90 up, so I figured I'd give that a try first just to see. Those monsoon bending mandrels look like they would be nice to keep things very uniformed tho. I might buy one, or just make one with a 1/2" ball endmill at work and write a program for the CNC to make the same thing. Might just be easier to buy it tho as it may take more time messing around to make that part lol.

Popped my cherry tho on this lachen.gif

Yeah, I'd definitely look into getting some kind of guide to keep the bends uniform. I think it kind of defeats the point of using hard line if they are all over the place, but that's me. I've never used a lathe myself but am familiar with how it holds the work pieces so I thought I'd mention it lol. Buying one of those guide kits would likely be easiest though if you enjoy making your own stuff you may be happier making them at work even if it takes more effort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in