[Build Log] 'Set and Forget' ... a NAS in a CaseLabs Nova X2M running FreeNAS - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] 'Set and Forget' ... a NAS in a CaseLabs Nova X2M running FreeNAS

post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
'Set and Forget'
A NAS in a CaseLabs Nova X2M running FreeNAS
web_logo1_1408390597__35960.png

This build log covers an update / upgrade for my home NAS that was described as one of the builds I had going over Christmas / New Year earlier this year.

Originally, my NAS was housed in a Cooler Master 915R with a HDD cage from a Fractal Design R5. I've never been 100% happy with it ... as evident with me continuing to google NAS computer cases, hot swap bays, etc. These searches always seemed to lead me back to the CaseLabs options (S3, S5, the new X2M). I finally settled on the X2M, ordered it on July 17th and then had to wait the 6 (+1) weeks for shipping. During that time, I have been able to catch up on lots of other CaseLab build logs (I will scatter references through out this build but also include them in post #3).

So ... Nova X2M with 2 CaseLabs HDD cages (plus fans) at the front. What about liquid cooling? What about color combination? What about cable sleeving? What about LED lights?

Bah ... stuff all of that junk ... this isn't eye candy ... this is a repository for pictures, movies, music, etc as well as an entertainment hub. It hides in the basement and will be as ugly as it gets. There will be function and anything that supports that function (ie clean airflow). Other stuff is out the window, not going to happen, banned from this build, not in my back yard, etc.

Also ... a huge big NO to stupid LED.

I did, at one stage, think about trying to make the ugliest build ever ... a horrible mixture of fans, cabling, etc ... but I am not (currently) heading in that direction. I will be using what I have available so that may (or may not) result in a 'not too unpleasant to the eye' result.

For example, my motherboard (with integrated CPU and passive cooling) is blue and white on a green carpet and doesn't leave much options for color matching and highlighting. The ram is black blotches on a different shade of green carpet. The HDDs are black with red trim. Please tell me which way (if any) the color scheme should go?

At lease the case is Black (purchased at a time when that was the only option ... as in ... 'you can have what ever color you like, as long as it is black'). The 120mm fans are black and white. The 140mm fans are white blades with a black housing. So black and white won't go wrong in this build.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Forum Post Index

'Things to Come' Index

• Fan filter for PSU air in-take?
  • Fan filter for front grill / HDD cages?
  • Cover / sheet to separate PSU section from motherboard / HDD section?
  • Sound insulation?
  • Which 120mm fan will I end up using ... and what do I need to to to help me decide?
  • What to do with the Fan power cables?
  • What to do with the HDD power cables?
  • What to do with the HDD data cables?
  • What will the main (24-pin) power cable end up looking like?
  • Will there be the need for additional cable holes?
  • What about cable management?
  • How will I label the HDD data cables?
  • Where is the NAS going?
    • Does it have the appropriate ethernet wiring?
    • How dust proof is it?

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Build Summary ... All Done ... sans new fan cables

Here is the NAS ... sitting on its own special perspex (acrylic) to keep the dust down ... with its own UPS. This motherboard has 3 network ports and I will be using all three of them. I only have two in play at the moment as I ran out of Ethernet cable frown.gif.

I think this looks pretty good. More information (and fun) in the Build Log.

NAS-0124s.jpg

Inside of the NAS. This isn't how it looks now ... I've fiddled around with the cable management a little bit more, swapped the power cable over for a flat version and moved the fan controller.

Speaking of the fan controller - you can see it attached to the inner front panel and facing forward.

NAS-0106s.jpg

Rear shot of the Fan controller mount ... had to drill new holes in the case and used some small M3 screws / nuts.

NAS-0103s.jpg

And the front shot. Not too happy with this as a) it isn't level and b) there is a gap at the bottom. That said, you can't see it when the outer shell is on and it does control the speed of the fans.

In the end, I moved it (see below).

NAS-0105s.jpg

HDD cage cabling ... the build log has a bunch more information about this process including a DIY connector holder.

NAS-0121s.jpg

And finally, the current fan controller mount ... below the HDD cages, facing the side and angled just enough so that I can get to the knobs if I need to (Note: Need to remove the side panel to actually get to the knobs).

NAS-0133s.jpg

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Parts List ... mostly carried over from old build

Parts List ... new for this build

Looking at other X2M builds highlights some things that I like, and others that I don't like.

For example, this build log from Wiz766 includes a good profile shot. It also shows how cramped my build could be once I shove 2 x HDD cages in the front. However, Wiz' PSU (EVGA 120-G2-1300-XR if I am reading and googling that correctly) is 200mm / 7.9" deep ... while mine (see above) is only 140mm / 5.5" deep. That means that I will have about 60mm / 2.5" of additional room.

You can also see that Wiz has a fan controller. My wife just got me one of those for my wedding anniversary (what is not to like about that!) but my front flex-bays are all take up with HDDs ... so I will have to think about where to put that controller. I am also looking at adding some other knick-knacks that I will mention later.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Other X2M Builds ...
_____________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________

Other NAS Builds ...

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Talking about others ideas ...
Here is a very interesting option from Trestles126's Midnight Special (right). I think that is aluminium which is outside of my abilities. I can definitely do cardboard biggrin.gif but that would look even too getto for me. I'll have to think about how to put something like this into my build. That said, this is a NAS with no side window and it lives in the basement ... so it doesn't have to look pretty. It just has to be functional.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheGHz View Post

Subbed! thumb.gif

Excellent. Thanks.

I mentioned that my order was placed on July 17th. Six (6) weeks from that date is Aug 28th. I did get the dreaded 'delay' email but it only pushed back my shipping date by a week. It shipped yesterday (Sept 3rd) and will arrive next Friday (Sept 11th). So ... another week of waiting. It isn't as if I could do anything anyway ... as I am away at a conference in Atlanta all of next week (back Sat Sept 12th) ... to a Nova.

Then the fun can really start!

So ... what will I do this week? Watch Fedex move my case across the country and read other's Nova logs for ideas.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 39)
subbed! looking to do a build similar to yours

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
Worth: $2577 ($704 with sales)Games owned: 153Games not played: 73 (48%)Hours on record: 265.2h
post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbyday View Post

subbed! looking to do a build similar to yours

Thanks for subbing.

Interesting Pictures from other threads ...

Firstly, the CaseLabs store ... duh! A pretty obvious link to include.

A couple of quick mock-up pics with a 30mm thick 280 up top. I wish I had a small tube res to mess around with...rolleyes.gif Also I should note that is a 3 slot video card, it's all I had around and had to remove the rear mounting bracket to make it fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_CL View Post

So let's just pretend the 280 up top is a AIO rolleyes.gif The hotswap unit is an Icy Dock (5 3.5'' drives)

The reason for the bit of added space between the mobo and PSU on the X2 and X2M is for two reasons; 1. to allow if extended mITX boards and 2. for 2.5 slot GPUs. Remember the X2M was created for people who wanted a small sever/NAS or more room to play with for water cooling. These hot swap units are not even as deep as some others and they still take up about half the space. Once you get a full size PSU in there and you only have about 2 inches or less between them. I'd say that's a pretty good use of space.

Here are 2 more images with a BEEFY Noctua cooler.

After having a chance to play around with the X2 I think it would be possible to still have a custom loop with a 240 in front and a 280 up top. That MSI card is about a 1/4" longer than my 780. With the MSI card I can barley squeeze a hardware labs stealth gt rad between the fans and the PCB. It does just touch the card, but with a 780 or similar, it will clear.

I got a late start today so I only have these two shots. It took a while to put everything together and set everything up. More photos coming tomorrow biggrin.gif

Big thanks to Heather at AMD for letting us barrow the GPU!

Some of you may notice that all of the cable cut-outs and holes are gone.... rolleyes.gif

Some shots of the quick assembly:

and front flex bay replaced with the gunmetal from Grey Matter (s5)

Here we go as promised - some shots of my NAS build in the white X2M.

This is a small home entertainment NAS running unRAID with six drives - one parity, four data and one cache. Its intended use is serving BDs to one television and acting as a Network Backup drive for my main gaming PC in a watercooled S8.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte H97N-WIFI mITX chosen because it has 6 SATA ports directly on the motherboard. The processor is an Intel i3-4160 at 3.6GHz and even when running parity checks it is only very lightly loaded. I replaced the stock Intel cooler with a Noctua NH-U12S which reduced the load temperatures from 44C to 34C at 22C ambient. There is 16Gb of 1600 RAM and no graphics card because it runs headless. Fans are Noctua NF-P12 PWM behind the drives, the stock NF-P12 PWM on the CPU cooler and a NF-S12A PWM on the rear case. CPU and Case fans are paired off the CPU_FAN header and the two drive fans are paired off the SYS_FAN header under scripted control in unRAID. Power supply is a Corsair RM650 which is silent at this low load.

Drives are arranged with four in the lower cage because there is a cluster of four SATA headers near the PCIe expansion slot. I used 15cm SATA cables on three of those drives and a 30cm cable on the front one since it was just a little too taut with a 15cm cable. The top cage holds the last two drives which attach to the last two SATA headers via 15cm cables.

Because I have no SSD drives in this build, the rear drive plate is blank and makes good anchor points for zip-tying cables out of the way. The back is fairly tidy. Front fans pop out behind the drive plate and go to the SYS_FAN header. There are two SATA power leads serving the drives. The rest is the main 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors.

It was a very straightforward build with no surprises. Since I was not adding any water loops there is a ton of empty space at the top but the case is clean and will be simple to vacuum to clear any dust buildup. All in all, another perfect CaseLabs case which will last me a very long time.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in