(Scratch Build) Half Wood Giant - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Scratch Build) Half Wood Giant

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
unfortunately I lost the design file in a hard drive crash. Most of the build once parts got involved was: pull out a part, take some measurements, cut something and then put the part on the new bit o case and mark drill locations.

The external dimensions going by memory are 24" x 24" x 11". It had to be very large to accommodate the radiators and ssi-eeb board. The cords coming out vertically are nice, but added to the height as well. I thought I was over estimating the distance between the cards and the fans, but it was a bit closer than I would have liked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After many moons, I am going to finally update this tired cpu/ram/mb combo.

The MSI G7/6700k has forced a downclock a few months back. I was up to 4.6ghz, now down to 4.5ghz. It was showing overclock failed screens and causing os reboots. The problem with a system like this is the requirement to justify the expense of watercooling. So, will need a monoblock again because overclocking without vrm cooling just seems silly when the rest is water cooled.

So, heres the slated changes:
(already purchased)
-MSI x470 Pro Carbon (couldnt find a m7 at a reasonable price)
-GSkill Ripjaw 2x16gb 3200 cas14
-EKWB monoblock for the Pro Carbon.

(slated for purchase)
AMD 3900x (I focus on multithread programming, so I can actually use the cores)

Everything is running well.
(changes made since last update)
Samsung 960evo 1tb for daily use drive
Scrapped 500gb hhd
now using 500gb ssd for secondary daily use drive
added 6tb for secondary long term storage
2x1440p 24" ips 60hz
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

System Update: (not that anyone cares)

New:
- MSI x470 Pro Carbon
- EK Monoblock
- AMD 3900X overclocked to 4.3Ghz at 1.32v
- G.Skill Ripjaw 2x16gb 3200 c14 overclocked to 3600c14-15-15-15-30 (Ryzen DRAM Calc 1.5.1 'safe' settings)

Max CPU temps seen was around 70c with air temp around 25c. Games were around 45 to 55c I could drop the vcore a little, but cant be bothered to try. Have some more testing to do, so I will try and get more info on that.

On one benchmark I wrote, this CPU has 3.5 times (490mcps vs 136mcps) higher processing rate than the 6700k at 4.5ghz it replaced. In my prime calc programs, it was a significant decrease in required time (24.9s vs 34.3s). Its an impressive chip. Hopefully I can keep it busy enough to justify it.

Things in the lineup for changes:
- redo tubing and loop order: I hate the location of the drain and the way the tube comes from the pump to the video card. Puts a extra pressure on the PCIe slot doesn't look very good.
- EK heat spreader for the NVME drive, mostly because I don't like the look of the drive under the GPU block.
- Alphacool Eisschicht 14w/mk for VRMs. (Just because)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Overclocking update:

I started playing around with more settings in the bios to try and get RAM and FCLK over 1800 (at 1:1) I could get the FCLK to boot with 1867, but I could not keep anything running over 1800mhz. Got into windows with 1867, but keep losing USB and then blue screen when doing anything with RAM.

Something odd I found is that the current bios for the board will lock up completely as soon as the SOC voltage is increased above 1.1v. Not after rebooting, just as soon as it was typed in and press enter. Perhaps this was part of the problem with the FCLK?

After that failure after failure even at 1833mhz, I returned to 1800 and everything is working great again. I tweaked the timings for the RAM based on the DRAM calc 1.6.0.1 1600 fast settings. Which is working quite well. I tried reducing primaries to 15-15-15-30 without any problem, but no notable performance improvements. My limited knowledge on secondary timings is confused how 16-16-16-32 is faster and lower latency than 14-15-15-30 from previous...but thats what happens when people are subjected to assumptions about RAM based on old tech.

Also reduced CPU voltage to 1.285v with same 4.3ghz overclock (PBO is also disabled)

Final settings for the day:
CPU: 4.3Ghz @ 1.285v (multiplier only)
RAM: 3600mhz 16-16-16-32 with DRAM calc 3600 fast @ 1.41v

Cinebench20: 7679 and reached 67.4c (ambient is ~23c)
Mem: read=57022MBs, Write=54335MBs, Copy=60690MBs, Latency=65.6ns
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Had a bit of a problem with the EK 390x waterblock.

Cleaned out the complete system 2 months ago and found that the nickel plating was wearing away and exposing the copper. Odd thing is that it was in the non-channel areas. The main effected areas are where the block butts up with the plexiglass. Some of the fins also had the same problem. These were the fins lowest in the case (the board has a 90deg rotation so vid card is vertical). So...had to pull this out before more coating wore away and caused problems with the rest of the system.

So, replaced the vid card with a reference 5700XT and new EK block. I also replaced all the tubing in the system, pulled the silver coil, and replaced with new tubing. Now using distilled with Mayhams Inhibiter+ and Biocide+. The new tubing layout is far easier to bleed and looks more interesting to me. Order: res -> pump -> T-section for drain -> front rad -> back rad -> cpu -> gpu. The problem before was getting air out of the rads after clearing the blocks. Now rads clear up, then I can clear the blocks. Much easier.

GPU temps: (no overclock needed)

Furmark 1440p vulkan: 70c junction.
AoTS 1440p vulkan: 69c junction and topped at 2.2+ ghz

Game fps:
Doom 1440p w/o anti aliasing but everything else at ultra: normally capped at 200fps, some drops to 150+
With the 390x and slightly lower settings, Doom stayed between 90 and 120fps.

Me happy.

Maybe I should turn on eyefinity and dual monitor more games just to justify this gpu on 60hz 1440p monitors.

Last edited by PhillyB; 08-24-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in