[Build Log] Steam Machine with a Dell Optiplex case - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Steam Machine with a Dell Optiplex case

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 66)
Just a few weeks ago, I had a water cooled build in a small case, but the GPU went on the fritz recently so I had decided to downsize to a simpler build. Also, still keeping with a small form factor, I was curious about making a small build out of a Dell Optiplex SFF computer case. Most of the parts from the last build will be re-used on this one, so there won't be a lot of money spent.

The goal here is for a decent budget rig in a Steam Machine-like form factor. Also giving it a sleeper look would be interesting, hence the choice of this case. I've been researching various other cases to use, and out of those the Optiplex 3010 case in its small form was the best in terms of accessibility and adaptability for standard PC components. I still need to do a fair amount of modding to it, but it is not hard to work with.

Here's how it will compare in terms of size with other similarly shaped cases that can hold higher-end hardware.

Silverstone RVZ01 - 14 L
Fractal Design Node 202 - 10.2 L
Valve Steam Machine - 7.2 L
Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF - 8.4L

Not bad, I think, and it's pretty close to the Steam Machine in size even if it's not exactly the same.

When the build is done it will hold a mini ITX board, a standard length GPU, and a SFX power supply that should support almost every single GPU card that is out right now. Seeing as I'm on a budget, though, it won't be the latest and greatest graphics card, but a Fury Nano or 980 Ti is theoretically possible biggrin.gif

My parts list

Motherboard: Asus Z97I-Plus
CPU: Pentium G3258
CPU cooler: (maybe) Cooler Master GeminII M4
RAM: 2x4GB Samsung "wonder" Green DDR3-1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 760
Power: Silverstone ST45SF-G 450W
SSD: SanDisk X110 m.2 128GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
Case: Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF

The only hardware I haven't bought yet is the CPU cooler and riser for the graphics card. I'm currently waiting for the graphics card to arrive.

So right now here's the main attraction- the case itself.

It was bought brand new, probably unused stock. It even has the protective wrapping on the front. The front bezel looks really nice. I thought it would be a bright silver color, but it is darker when you actually see it, closer to gunmetal color.

All the front I/O and fixtures for holding hardware are with the case. This includes the 2-in-1 hard drive and ODD caddy, and front 80mm fan holder with an included fan. Too bad the caddy can't be used with this build.

Here is the top inside of the case with the caddy removed. Note that despite being designed for a proprietary motherboard, 4 of the screw holes are in the exact locations to mount any mini ITX board.

Bottom inside view showing I/O cables and front fan. The tall standoff props up the caddy, and it can simply be un-screwed from the base. That fan is in a good spot to blow fresh air into the GPU and hard drive, especially since the my GPU has a blower-style cooler.

A closer look shows that the fan is mounted with rubber vibration-dampening screws.

Build starts here

I already started the modding process, so let's get down to it!

I started with some easy stuff- removing the 4 posts that secure the CPU bracket on the Dell motherboard. They will interfere with the board and PSU that I will install.

The motherboard can't be installed yet, though. Now to remove the stock I/O shield. This one is integrated as part of the case.

I thought the foam padding was glued on, but it's just held by two small metal tabs and came off easily.

Now to cut a hole so that the motherboard I/O can fit in!

The stock I/O shield is actually smaller than a standard one. If I cut any further it will cut right through the rear vent, which I'm not sure if I want to do, so I'm just going to leave it as an open hole for now.

But what matters is that the motherboard fits! (CPU cooler is temporary)

Next, I will work on fitting in the power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 AM
Overclock Failed...

Rep: 1249 (Unique: 969)
Interesting. Subscribed.

I'm in the process of upgrading and watercooling an Dell Optiplex 755 desktop.

CPU: Q9400
Memory: 4 x 1 Gig Samsung
Video: Nvidia GeForce 210 1 GB
HDDs: 1 x 250 Gig WD, 1 x 1TB Seagate
Rad: 2 x 120 I had laying around
Res: Custom
Pump:Ehein 1048
Blocks: CPU and Northbridge I had laying around

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
....and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 11:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 77)
subbed!
i remember when you mentioned about this case wink.gif

thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Interesting. Subscribed.

Thanks, and that sounds like a interesting project too. Will you be putting all the water cooling parts inside? Your case looks bigger than mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by korruptedkaos View Post

subbed!
i remember when you mentioned about this case wink.gif

thumb.gif

Thanks!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 38 (Unique: 38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccRicers View Post

Note that despite being designed for a proprietary motherboard, 4 of the screw holes are in the exact locations to mount any mini ITX board.
Was curious about this. That's pretty cool, though thumb.gif Interesting build for sure...subbed.

Gaming Rig 1
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB
Power Supply
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W
Case
NZXT Switch 810
Monitor
ASUS MG278Q
Keyboard
DuckyShine
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 PM
Overclock Failed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccRicers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Interesting. Subscribed.

Thanks, and that sounds like a interesting project too. Will you be putting all the water cooling parts inside? Your case looks bigger than mine.
Haven't decided yet. I have 2 of them one desktop and one SFF. This is the SFF:

One will be a music server (SFF) and one (Desktop) will be for my workshop. The workshop computer will be watercooled, but it may be in the case or it may be a "wall Computer" - haven't decided which yet.

https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club https://www.overclock.net/images/smil...lame-small.gifMisinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 22)
I'm on board, Dell really knows their way with SFF and Optiplex builds are always fun to watch! How small is that puppy again?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Overclock Failed...

There's were 4 different sizes.
I have a Desktop and a SFF. The USFFs are pretty limited as for what can be upgraded.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post

Was curious about this. That's pretty cool, though thumb.gif Interesting build for sure...subbed.

Thanks smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFreilicht View Post

I'm on board, Dell really knows their way with SFF and Optiplex builds are always fun to watch! How small is that puppy again?

The one I have in particular is 8.41 liters in size. Exact measurements are 29 x 9.3 x 31.2 cm.

The cases @billbartuska showed are the rounded clamshell designs but Dell also made ones with a more square chassis.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in