Designers Log: Engineering my future caseconcept - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Designers Log: Engineering my future caseconcept

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
Hello,

Scoobydoobydoo is going to design and engineer his own m-itx case. The case can be used for aircoolers, heatsinks and maybe LN2, watercooling and phasechange will not be possible. I personally think that radiators aren't that sexy, i rather look at a nice looking motherboard, aircooler and heatsinks whole day;)

- The mobo+coolingparts must be visible from every angle through a transparent hood (or bell-glass);
- The cpu cooler height must atleast be 180 mm or higher. The best and biggest aircoolers should fit in this case;
- The mobo must be fully accessible from every position, when i want it too be accessible (i like to exchange coolingsystems alot);
- The motherboard must be mounted horizontally;
- I do not want to see harddisks, casefans, psu or ssd's;
- The filtertechniques and airflow idea's that i will use should be refreshing and hopefully alot better then what is currently standard practise in the cases we buy every day;
- I hope the total build is going to be silent enough for my taste;

I will try to post progress pictures of sub assemblies and conceptdrawings when i actually have something to show you guys and girls. Maybe some lonely user find some concepts that i am trying to incorporate in my case intriguing enough to post a reply, suggestion, flame, opinion or even spam. All comments are welcome here, even dirty comments:D

That is about it, so lets just start with the first small update people will might have some interest in.

Escher's Airintake Assembly

Today I engineered the first steps towards basic concept of my triangular airintake assembly which i wanted to share.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

I named this multiple filterconcept after the artist Escher, who made these complicated drawings. This because the feeling i get when watching his pictures, resembles quite well how challenging designing this small concept felt like (alot of nooks and crannies believe me). This airintake should grant each fan 284.5% more filterarea then a standard flat fanfilter assembly. I am also engineering a square intakeassembly which has about 803% more flatfilter surface area (if my calculations are correct, i believe so), but that one will not be used in this computercase as it is quite a bit larger then the assembly shown in this update.

I doubled the filter area per intakefan and used cassettefilters, this increased the the total effective filterarea to such a large amount that i could reach 284.5% more surface area for the air to travel through. I assume my design will grant a lower pressuredrop and airspeed over the airfilters, which should result in less noise and alot more airflow per fan (if you compare it to, lets say, a standard dmce flatfilter). In this way i assume that I will need less fans or could use higher quality filters preventing even smaller dustparticles from entering my case. I thought that the design could maybe spark others to try different and better filter or airflow designs, then the suppliers offer us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
As much as I adore every effort in making something different from the crowd, kudos for that, I suspect that your design won't work as you might think. Pressure spreads equally across all the surface, so the more surface you have - the more pressue you'll require to push through it. Imagine it the same way as snowshoes work. That's why by increasing surface area you'll require either fan to spin faster or a fan with higher static pressure value. Same thing occurs with water cooling radiators, the more density they have - the more pressure they require to operate.
I may be worng or didn't get your concept completely, apologize in advance and best regards.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhilin View Post

As much as I adore every effort in making something different from the crowd, kudos for that, I suspect that your design won't work as you might think. Pressure spreads equally across all the surface, so the more surface you have - the more pressue you'll require to push through it. Imagine it the same way as snowshoes work. That's why by increasing surface area you'll require either fan to spin faster or a fan with higher static pressure value. Same thing occurs with water cooling radiators, the more density they have - the more pressure they require to operate.
I may be worng or didn't get your concept completely, apologize in advance and best regards.

Your interpretation is not the way pressure/flow/speed relationship has been taught to me (or i interpreted the classes in a wrong way, which is possible). AFAIK, the more speed generated over a section of a filter, the bigger the pressuredrop will be. If i have install more filterarea for the same amount of airflow, i will get less pressuredrop over the filterassembly as whole (this is not linear). Maybe i am wrong about this and you are correct, either way we are going to find out soon enough. Atleast I have anough room to alter setups so i think it will turn out fine in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update 1: Bellglass V6

I named my future case concept the Belglass V6, no explanations needed i guess. I changed the mobo format to ATX. This is the top of the case, there will be a transparant belglass which will go over the assembly mounted on the topplate as a whole. As I want to see and be able to access all the heatsinks and fans! So, the assembly you see here will be a nice example of what we can expect when the concept is finished, although i will probably use alot nicer heatsinks, fans and colour-schemes. Below the topplate will be the filtersection, psu and the storage assembly. The psu and storage assembly will probably be mounted on "ikearails" for easier access (excessive use of luxuries while I am at it). The hardware mounted on the topplate is just an example, colours and components used will probably vary alot in real life (i.e. i do not own an AC Power mobo or a white gpu).

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

The hardware components i downloaded from grabcad.com and added to my assembly. Alot of grabcad-users draw hardwarecomponents and share these (thanks for that). Gotta keep grinding those idea's!thumb.gif My next update will be posted alot sooner.

Grtz!

Scoobydoobydoo!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 03:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobydoobydoo View Post

Your interpretation is not the way pressure/flow/speed relationship has been taught to me (or i interpreted the classes in a wrong way, which is possible). AFAIK, the more speed generated over a section of a filter, the bigger the pressuredrop will be. If i have install more filterarea for the same amount of airflow, i will get less pressuredrop over the filterassembly as whole (this is not linear). Maybe i am wrong about this and you are correct, either way we are going to find out soon enough. Atleast I have anough room to alter setups so i think it will turn out fine in the end.
I would be more than happy to be wrong on this, looking forward for your tests smile.gif
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhilin View Post

I would be more than happy to be wrong on this, looking forward for your tests smile.gif

This is the pressuredrop/airflow diagram of an airfilter.

Example A, 1 blue filter for 4000 m3/h = 70 pascal
Example B, 2 blue filters (twice the filterarea), 2000 m3/h each @ 25 Pascal

My conclusion: Using more filterarea on the same airflow, or running less airflow through the same filterassembly decreases the pressuredrop of the total filterassembly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 19)
I'm actually in the process of not-so-scientifically designing a vertically hanging, fortress-style case with an air filter in the bottom, using dual 140mm high static pressure fans to pull air through it and a single 120mm on top for exhaust, hopefully to achieve a positive pressure inside the case and to nearly eliminate dust going inside.

I want to have a completely passively cooled system inside, but I'll probably implement fans kicking on close to tjmax of the cpus/gpus, to keep them from melting biggrin.gif

I'm subbed, keeping a close eye on this one, looks goiod so far. thumb.gif

hail sithis!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

We gonna change the world of CCAF greywarden (computer - case - air - filtration) my brother, 1 for all and all for one! thumb.gif And it will also boost the airquality in the room so many people with breathingproblems could benefit. To quote John F. Kennedy on this matter:

We choose to raise the quality of the airflow in computercases and offices! ... We choose to raise the quality of the airflow in computercases and offices in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; Because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win ... biggrin.gif

Do you have a link to your project, i am curious what sub-assemblies and solutions you might come up with or even implement in your design-concept.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have made some slight progress so...

Update 2: Belglass V6, moving forward!

The more i move forward in the process of finalising my initial idea's, the more the concepts have shifted (slightly). For me, the hardest part of engineering this case, is making sure i can produce most of the parts myself with minimal amount of equipment, tools and minimal costs. Therefore, I have chosen to engineer the case based on:

- Ordering some lasecut sheets (i am trying to keep the number down as much as possible);
- Shear (scissors for cutting steel and aluminium, which i guess is called a shear, right?);
- Drills and flowdrills;
- Magnabending machine (most simple, save and affordable way of bending sheet-metal by hand, but the designs must be kept more straight forward then when you have a press brake at your disposal;
- Weldingequipment for thin sheetmetal if needed;
- Fasteners ofcourse;
- Vacuumforming techniques if possible or i buy a hand made real bell-glass (this will be the last step of the build, going to need some favors, time or alot of money);
- Last but not least, i will probably have 5 or less small components that i would like to have 3D printed for a nice custom made storage asembly ( I try very hard to keep this number down aswell because it costs alot just like lasercutting sheetmetal).

Now for a small update with pictures.

Belglass & casing
I have been working on the simple transparant belglass and blackpainted sheetmetal casing. You can clearly see where the airfilter assembly is going to be mounted mainly below the intakefans (my goal is snapfittings). I will mount perforated sheet-metal or mesh on both sides for symmetry.

PSU Drawer
Started designing the concept of a subassembly for mounting and exchanging psu's without having to disassemble the case or motherboard. PSU is in "pink" and the "drawer-rails" for the psu drawer are displayed as rectangular beams for now (simple blocks uses alot less memory then highly detailed parts). A PSU with a depth of about 225 mm probably fits in there (=1500 Watt psu).

I changed the colours of the fans towards the noctua colour-pallet for now. I have not decided yet if ledfans, normal, weird colour-combinations or redux (grey) fans are more desirable. With so many fans, ledfans could be "overdoing" it a little. So, for now i am leaning more towards normal standard casefans of the same manufacturer and the same colour as the fans on the cpu-cooler I am going to install. Maybe standard simple grey redux fans could be nice, as i do not see many people installing redux fans in their builds often. In a black open case, it could look quite nice.

Very slowly grinding my way to the finish-line, next update in a couple of days.

Edit:: Small reminder that English/Muricanlish is not my native language, if i misspelled some, my apologies.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I needed some motivation to continue so i rendered a photo impression of how far the design is today. It took 65 minutes (dualcore & 8GB RAM) to render this image (1584*913 pixels, maximum quality). It still misses perforated casing parts under the fans but you atleast get a better impression of the possible endresult.

I think i will stick in the black/grey/white spectrum for the fans and casing, I think it looks nice.wink.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in