(In Win 901) Asteria II: Rearmoured - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(In Win 901) Asteria II: Rearmoured

post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Hi all, I have a little update for you.

It took a while to get the sheet bender repeatedly accurate and get the bend radius of my aluminium work down to where it should be, but now it's good to go!

So I've folded some plastic instead

I/O shroud shape, cut by hand in 1.5mm PETG sheet

Took a while to get that I will admit. Looks like my wrist is still a bit wonky to get accurate cuts with a coping saw, so I went for never-ending score, cut and snap with a sharp knife. Got there in the end though.

After a bit of cleanup, I did a quick frosting job on a portion of what will be the top face for an experiment I'll mention shortly

It's not perfect, but will only have tiny amount of it showing so should be fine. Circular motions with 100 grit paper for a few minutes on both sides of the piece, then another couple of minutes with 400 grit to smooth it up. Didn't bother to wet sand this as it's only small.

Then got the heat gun out and folded it all up. The front face was put into my sheet bender for a nice, tight edge, and the curved ends were done over the handle of an exacto knife for a 5mm radius, or thereabouts.

Took a few attempts to get it all correct and relatively straight, but I got so excited at finishing it I didn't take a picture of the untreated item and went straight into a quick test wrap.

Brushed black aluminium effect. I wanted to replicate the hairline brushing on EVGA's shrouds, but wasn't sure if it'd be too much against the matte black I've used on the motherboard...

Now THAT is a Black Edition motherboard. Excuse the wonky placement and the dodge Alphacool M3 copper screws!

Not too bad for me hand-cutting, but the wrap covers a multitude of sins. Plus it'll be painted to cover any exposed PETG when the wrap is done properly.

Hopefully my little enhancement will pan out: backlit logo 

Thanks for looking!

ASTERIA II: Rearmoured. Watercooled In Win 901
Build log

Last edited by LePhuronn; 01-24-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Updated image linking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Looks amazing!
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinreay View Post

Looks amazing!

Thanks! I'm pleased so far, although I may go back and redo that shroud. Did some measuring after grinding down the screw holes a bit more and the back edge isn't straight which exaggerates the wonky placement. It may not be noticeable once it's properly screwed into place and the back is hidden (the 901 has a weird lip thing where the I/O back plate goes), but it'll bug me if I don't try to correct it.

The next update won't be so filled with success and fun lol

Build log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm sorry to say that this project is on hold for the time being.

I'm in the process of rescuing a number of abused rats and their babies and will need the spare room to house them all, so no space to get any work done.

Hopefully be back soon!

Build log
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Ladies, One at a Time

Rep: 311 (Unique: 188)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePhuronn View Post

Thanks! I'm pleased so far, although I may go back and redo that shroud. Did some measuring after grinding down the screw holes a bit more and the back edge isn't straight which exaggerates the wonky placement. It may not be noticeable once it's properly screwed into place and the back is hidden (the 901 has a weird lip thing where the I/O back plate goes), but it'll bug me if I don't try to correct it.

The next update won't be so filled with success and fun lol

If you choose to redo the shroud, I will buy the existing shroud from you for the Same board I am going to use. I would need it wrapped in White Viynl.

TCO
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne View Post

If you choose to redo the shroud, I will buy the existing shroud from you for the Same board I am going to use. I would need it wrapped in White Viynl.

TCO

That's a major compliment, thank you, but you don't want it ;)

I checked last night doing some other bits and it's not just a wonky placement, I've actually warped the thing slightly so the back edge isn't straight. Not sure if it's fixable or if I'm going to do it again.

If I can refine my technique and be more consistent I'm happy to make you one once this rat situation is resolved.

Cheers TCO

Build log
post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:51 AM
Ladies, One at a Time

Quote:

That's a major compliment, thank you, but you don't want it wink.gif

I checked last night doing some other bits and it's not just a wonky placement, I've actually warped the thing slightly so the back edge isn't straight. Not sure if it's fixable or if I'm going to do it again.

If I can refine my technique and be more consistent I'm happy to make you one once this rat situation is resolved.

Cheers TCO

As far as wanting it, and or taking a file to make it fit, I could go either way. The piece you have created for the board is spectacular. I would love to place that in my S3 and Give Credit to your work! Keep me abreast of the situation, I am nearing paint process for my build and am trying to gather pieces that will come together nicely in the end.

TCO
post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just had a look over your log for Reine de Blanche and it looks mint - I'd be honoured to have my name associated with that, even in the smallest way. I'll see what I can do. At the very least I can give you the Illustrator file for the flat template if you want to cut one yourself in my absence.

Build log
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 AM
Ladies, One at a Time

Quote:

Just had a look over your log for Reine de Blanche and it looks mint - I'd be honoured to have my name associated with that, even in the smallest way. I'll see what I can do. At the very least I can give you the Illustrator file for the flat template if you want to cut one yourself in my absence.

As my "Skills" are not associated with bending acrylic sheets, I will leave that profession to you. My Patience is beyond most, so I can await your absence. Just let me know. thumb.gif

TCO
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Greetings to you all! I hope your Christmas was gluttonous and your New Year will be debauched and decadent; I think we all could use some cheer given 2016's death tally

Well, the ratty rescue situation is more or less under control so I have some time and space to work again. Unfortunately my sheet bender has proven to be largely useless, so the planned case work has to wait while I sort an alternative. Instead I've done some GPU stuff and, since it's been so long, thought I'd share what I have.

GPU block
Originally I'd planned to use an EK block for the Titan since I like full PCB coverage and no fuss, even if it'll be facing down in the build. Unfortunately, the FC Terminal block pushed the total height about 3mm too much to fit inside the case and put the sides back on. After a bit of reading around I found Watercool's Heatkiller GPU-X3 blocks would fit nicely and scored this B-Grade from Aqua Tuning.

Great condition, and that stainless steel plate is so very shiny. Double win is that this LT variant doesn't have any unnecessary cruft on it like the other X3 Titan editions, just a sleek, smooth appearance.

Shame about the copper though...oh wait

Let's strip it down then...

I'll be honest though, I know this is B-Grade, but I wouldn't expect B-Grade to be quite this filthy, and I have no idea how the INSIDE is quite that mucky. Looks like the previous owner used cherry-aid for coolant too.

After lots of soaking in vinegar solution, rubbing, scrubbing and pickling of skin, we get one nice and shiny copper block.

Won't last long

Masked up and hit with primer

And now the black

Reassembled and cleaned up!

One Heatkiller GPU-X3 Titan LT Black Edition ready to rumble.

It might be changing to silver/nickel though, we'll see...

Build log

Last edited by LePhuronn; 01-23-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Updated image linking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in