[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 12 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #111 of 535 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

I am quite happy with these reservoirs, and prefer how they look compared with the Heatkiller Tube reservoirs which is why I choose them thumb.gif

I'm the complete opposite as you can see in my THW10 build(I really like the style of Watercool HeatKiller tubes, It's a bit different then the normal boring basic tube). I find WaterCool products much higher quality compared to what other companies offer. EK GPU waterblocks feels like cheap plastic when you compare them to Watercool.

I just brought it up for those who do mount theirs side by side. The 1mm can cause issues for people who have theirs side by side, still the tubes should have been exact same size.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 535 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 116 (Unique: 97)
The First Tube - More cutting on the case

Originally I was planning to connect the top two radiators together from inside the case, through the rear pass though of the case. I keep a fairly decent supply of fittings on hand, and after trying many different combinations of various 90 degree fittings, extensions, snakes fittings, and whatever else I had, I realized that it was not going to be easy to connect the top radiators from the inside. There is not much room there to put a pass through or even a hole for a tube to got through, so I did not want to go that route either.

So I decided to connect them from the top. This is one of the reasons why I insisted on using multi-port radiators! Remember previously I made rounded cut-outs for fill ports. Now I'm going to change this to connect the two middle ports, and I'll use one of the outer ports for a fill port on one side, and an air bleeder valve on the other side.

The single rotary fitting on the left is too short, the dual rotary in the center is a little too tall, and the top panel of the case won't fit, it just rocks on top of the fittings. The other style 90 degree fitting on the right is a little shorter than the dual rotary and should work. Of course I didn't not have any of those, so I had to make another fitting order.

I need to cut a little more out of the top of the case so the fittings on this first tube will fit. Part of the fittings will be below the top of the case. Now I get out my saber saw... haven't used this tool on this project yet biggrin.gif

I removed the 40 screws to take out all six radiators again! Strip the case back down, mask it off, and mark where I want to cut.

Make the cuts just inside the line, so I can finish it up with a file.

File it smooth.

Here we are back together with the first tube in place thumb.gif

The tube just barely clears the top of the case. You can just see light under it.

I still had to put an extra small washer under the ball studs on the top outer panel to raise the top outer panel just a smidge. The top panel now fits. This first tube is in and I'm currently air pressure testing the top rads together. I think that is the last time that I'll have to cut on the case... never know though.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #113 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 27)
looking good!

Caselabs S8
With pedestal

Asus Maximus formula vII
Dual gtx 980tis
16gb gskillz ram ddr 1866
4790k 4ghz

Full ek nickel Cpu gpu ram blocks
Dual loop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM
post #115 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trestles126 View Post

looking good!
Thank you. Did you buy that used TH10A you were looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne View Post

I seem to be late doh.gif

I didn't know you built??!! Im here footer. thumb.gif

TCO
It's never too late my friend! Yes I build, I've just never done a log before. I've always enjoyed following your build logs, glad to have you along!

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #116 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Installing Reservoir LEDS and Wiring the Fans

While I had everything apart again to cut more on the case, I figured now is a good time to install the LEDs into the bottom of the reservoirs. There is six holes in the bottom for up to six LEDs, I am only going to use four LEDs per reservoir. I started with Darkside White 12v LEDs, I cut the little two pin connectors off and removed the sleeving. I put the LEDs all the way into the holes, then bend the wiring around the channels. One piece of heat shrink on each side near the LEDs just to hold it together. Here is the Aqualis Pro reservoir without the fill level sensor.

Here is the Aqualis XT with the fill level sensor.

Now I take two red wires from each side and two black wires each side and crimp them onto one fan pin terminal each, and then sleeve them together. So two LEDs per sleeve, two sleeved cables coming out of each reservoir. I am going to plug these fan connectors into a Splitty to power all the LEDs.

Here's the Aqualis XT, I shortened these wires. Be careful, there is a resistor in there. If you cut that out you will smoke the LED as soon as you power it up.

My original plan for the fan wiring was to make custom fan harnesses that would have all plugged into the Aquaeros. The main reason I wanted to do this was to try to keep the fan wiring as clean as possible. Because I am only able to power six of these 140mm fans per channel, I would have had to use six channels and made six custom fan harnesses. I have made custom fan harnesses before, and they are a major pain in the neck to make! That was one thing on this build that I was not looking forward to doing.

After much contemplation, I have decided to go the route that @ruffhi and @ITDiva suggested earlier and use Slitty9 splitters and power them from the power supply, sending just the RPM and PWM wires to the Aquaero for control. I have found a layout for the Splittys I like that will still keep the fan wiring fairly well hidden. Another benefit is that I will only need four channels to control all the radiator fans, as I have plans for the other four channels.

Here is the lay out of all the Splittys. Starting in the upper left that will be for the six upper radiator pull fans, to the right will be for the eight upper radiator push fans. The next one is going to be an Aquabus splitter, next to that is a Hubby to split all the USB cabling to all the Aquaero devices. The Farbwerk in the upper right is for RGB strip lighting control. The bottom row of Splittys starting on the left is for the eight bottom radiator fans, the middle is for the LEDs in the Reservoirs and other blocks. Finally the on the right will be for the eight front radiator fans.

I re-sleeved all the fan wire harnesses using Titanium Grey MDPC, it is a very close match for the Gunmetal Caselabs color. I used Titanium Grey on all the fan wiring because I want that wiring to blend into the background as much as possible. I'm also going to tuck as much of the fan wiring behind radiators and fans as I can. You can see that I'm only sleeving up to the fan frame and not all the way to the fan motor. I've sleeved all the way to the fan motors before, but the problem with that is that usually the sleeved part sticks up from the fan frame and if it's mounted in push against the radiator that fan doesn't sit flat and rocks on the sleeved harness.

On most of my fans that side will not show anyway, and I actually like the nice flat black harness that comes on the fans. I just picked up this black table cloth, it's a little better than the ugly green table biggrin.gif

The way the Splittys are laid out, the eight top radiator push fans were the perfect length, so I just re-sleeved those. The top radiator pull fans I had to shorten five of the fans wires, and make one short extension a few inches long that you can't see because it's behind the radiator. The bottom radiators I had to shorten three of the eight fans wires, and just two of the front eight radiators fans. The rest I was able to use as they were, just take the connector off, re-sleeve, put the connector on and some heat shrink.

Here's the top row of splitters. I've been testing each channel of fans as I go. I had one of the top pull fans wouldn't turn on, so I took it out to test the connections. I thought I had a bad fan terminal crimp, I put new fan pin terminals on, still did not work. It turned out to be a bad solder joint at the motor, one wire just hanging on, sometimes it had connection and sometimes it didn't. Anyway I painted two extra fans when I did all the fan painting, so I just set that one aside and grabbed another one. Out of around 35 fans, one was noisy and one had a bad solder connection.

You can see I have some of the Aquabus cables done too.

Here's the bottom row of splitters.

I'm going to have a cluster of cables from the bottom that go up to the top splitters and/or the Aquaeros, and will be secured to the back wall of the case behind the front radiator.

Looking through the back of the case with the Motherboard tray out.

Here's the reservoir on the other side with the LED wiring in place. You can see I have the tube in place connecting the two front radiators together.

This is a 38" extension I made to go to the rear exhaust fan. It will have it's own channel. I also have the 120mm fan in the hard drive cage re-sleeved and on it's own Aquaero channel also.

The fan wiring is pretty much done. I have the RPM/PWM harnesses that go from the Splittys to the Aquaero channels done, with a temporary molex power terminal on the power side just so I could power up and test each channel as I went along. All fans have been powered up with the Aquaero. I'll finish up the power side of the harness after I get the power supply.

Here's how the Aquaero channels will be set up.
Channel 1 - Top Radiator push fans
Channel 2 - Top Radiator pull fans
Channel 3 - Front Radiator fans
Channel 4 - Bottom Radiator fans
Channel 5 - HDD cage fan
Channel 6 - Rear exhaust fan
Channel 7 - LED control
Channel 8 - thinking.gif I wonder what this channel is for...

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #117 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Guru Meditation

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
thumb.gif

CPU
Intel Core i7-8809G (Quad-Core 3.1 GHz / 4.2 GHz Turbo - Cache 8 Mo - TDP 100W)
GPU
AMD Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws Series SO-DIMM 16 Go (2 x 8Go) DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Hard Drive
Intel SSD 760P Series M.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
Intel SSD 760P Series M.2 NVMe
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Gechic 1305H
Keyboard
Cooler Master TKL with Topre switches
Mouse
Logitech M590 silent mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #118 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:

After much contemplation, I have decided to go the route that @ruffhi and @ITDiva suggested earlier and use Slitty9 splitters and power them from the power supply, sending just the RPM and PWM wires to the Aquaero for control. I have found a layout for the Splittys I like that will still keep the fan wiring fairly well hidden. Another benefit is that I will only need four channels to control all the radiator fans, as I have plans for the other four channels.

Here is the lay out of all the Splittys. Starting in the upper left that will be for the six upper radiator pull fans, to the right will be for the eight upper radiator push fans. The next one is going to be an Aquabus splitter, next to that is a Hubby to split all the USB cabling to all the Aquaero devices. The Farbwerk in the upper right is for RGB strip lighting control. The bottom row of Splittys starting on the left is for the eight bottom radiator fans, the middle is for the LEDs in the Reservoirs and other blocks. Finally the on the right will be for the eight front radiator fans.

I re-sleeved all the fan wire harnesses using Titanium Grey MDPC, it is a very close match for the Gunmetal Caselabs color. I used Titanium Grey on all the fan wiring because I want that wiring to blend into the background as much as possible. I'm also going to tuck as much of the fan wiring behind radiators and fans as I can. You can see that I'm only sleeving up to the fan frame and not all the way to the fan motor. I've sleeved all the way to the fan motors before, but the problem with that is that usually the sleeved part sticks up from the fan frame and if it's mounted in push against the radiator that fan doesn't sit flat and rocks on the sleeved harness.

The Splitty9 & Hubby7 are a godsend from AQ.

Also you are aware there is sleeving that will match Gunmetal Color?

Link: https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/14-6mm-darkside-high-density-cable-sleeving-gun-metal/

post #119 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the Splittys and Hubbys are awesome! I was not aware of the Daz Mode "Gunmetal" sleeving. I have always used the MDPC sleeving, so I've never really researched other brands. The Titanium Grey is a real close match to the CaseLabs Gunmetal color, I already had a bunch of it, plus I will be using three different colors of MDPC sleeving for the main cables.

This weekend I'll be able to get some final pictures of what is going to be plugged into Channel 8 of the Aquaeros.
This is something pretty cool that you have not seen yet in this build log.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #120 of 535 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:

Yes the Splittys and Hubbys are awesome! I was not aware of the Daz Mode "Gunmetal" sleeving. I have always used the MDPC sleeving, so I've never really researched other brands. The Titanium Grey is a real close match to the CaseLabs Gunmetal color, I already had a bunch of it, plus I will be using three different colors of MDPC sleeving for the main cables.

This weekend I'll be able to get some final pictures of what is going to be plugged into Channel 8 of the Aquaeros.
This is something pretty cool that you have not seen yet in this build log.

MDPC-X is best sleeving you can work with. Hopefully you got some quality cable combs.

I have one off Brand sleeving for USB 3.0 sleeving, However it's possible to get MDPC-X Sata Sleeving over USB 3.0 just a real PIA to fully sleeve it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in