[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 15 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #141 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 108 (Unique: 91)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trestles126 View Post

Looks amazing dig the double doors
Thanks! Yes two big doors on this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post

I'm picking up a heck of a lot of tips off your build.

I ordered Barrow matt black low profile stop plugs for the same purpose; to replace all those dodgy stops that came with the rads.

Virtually identical, no emblems, Less than half the price of the Bitspower equivalents in my part of the world.

I am using a similar drain solution to yours, except I'm also coming outside the (TH10A) case to link the left and right rads (a bit like you did to link your top rads) and I'm having a single quick disconnect come off that link. So mine will only have a single 'tailpipe'. I'll do pics when I finally think of a name and start a build log.

Yeah wish mine did not have emblems on them.

You keep talking about starting a build log... just do it! I'll be one of your first subscribers thumb.gif

I'll be posting my pump set up next... hopefully I'll have it posted later today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mounting Dual Aquacomputer D5 Pumps with Aquabus Interface – Custom Mounting Brackets

I want to be able to control the speed of the pumps through the Aquabus interface on the Aquaero 6 which is why I selected these pumps. No need to use up a fan channel this way and no fooling around with a little red knob on the bottom either.

I know many people just set their pump speeds then never adjust it again, but I want to be able to play with the pump speeds so I can chart out flow rate and temperature differences at different pump speeds.

The pump top I chose is the Bitspower Dual D5 Top - Acrylic version Model # BP-2D5TOPAC-BK. I chose this top strictly because I really like how it looks! This top was unavailable for about six months, not sure why, but it's back available again now.

Then I picked up a pair of Bitspower D5 mod kits to cover the pumps with. I really wanted to get them in chrome or “silver shining” as Bitspower calls it, but either they don’t make them anymore or nobody on the planet had them in stock when I needed them. So I ordered them in matte black instead.

Also these mod kits are designed for regular D5 pumps and not the Aquacomputer ones with USB and Aquabus connections. There are four additional plugs on the bottom of the pumps, so I cut a square hole out on the bottom plate of the mod kits.

Here’s the Bitspower mounting brackets for this pump top. It’s designed for mounting on the bottom of a case, not over a radiator with fans like I am doing. There would not be enough clearance underneath to plug in the USB and Aquabus connectors, plus they would have to bend in somewhat to get them to line up with the mounting brackets on the two fans.

You can also see here that I took the mod kits to the chrome shop. The bottom plate is polished and the pump covers were chrome plated.

I also had one of these style pump brackets laying around, this one is too low as well, and I really don’t like how the bracket sticks out over the edges of the pump top.

So… I decided to make some brackets that will fit my needs better. I bought a 6” x 10” scrap piece of 1/8" 5052 Aluminum Sheet on ebay, took it over to my Dad’s house and had him cut it into four pieces on his table saw. This gave me three pieces the right width to match the pump top, plus one piece that's slightly too narrow, but I'll use that one to make a practice bend with.

I bought a mini brake that fits into a vise. Whenever I have needed to bend metal in the past, I just put it in the vise and hammer it over, but I’m looking for a cleaner bend here.

Make sure to get the piece straight in the vise or you’ll end up with a crooked bracket. I used a small level on the side. Here’s half way bent.

Fully bent here. I'm a pretty strong guy and I could barely complete this bend! 1/8" sheet is certainly the max thickness that can be bent by hand in a vise.

It came out with a nice 90 degree bend.

The brackets looked kind of plain with straight sides, so I decided to cut some curves into the brackets similar to how the Bitspower brackets were. Using a jig saw, some files and sand paper here’s how they look now.

The pump covers stick out beyond the edges of the pump top. There is a Tap Plastics close to me, I had them make the small pieces that will serve as spacers between the pump top and the brackets.

Here is the back side of the pump top, there is two holes for 3mm LEDs. I’ll put two white LEDs in there. The second plate holds the wiring in place.

Here I have two Darkside 3mm LEDs installed so I can check the length. I'll resleeve these and put them on one three pin fan connector like I did for the reservoirs.

Under the brackets I’m putting some pieces of 1/8” Isolate It! Sorbothane Vibration Damping Sheets I found on Amazon. Using my paper hole punch to make the holes for the bolts. Also I put rubber washers between the fans and the mounting brackets that screw onto the fans. Now I have two layers of vibration dampening which I think will work great.

I spent at least nine hours polishing this top! Not all at one time though, I’d work on it for about an hour or so at a time. I’d put a Warriors game on the TV with a piece of glass and all my different grits of sand paper in front of me, and polish away. I ended up sanding right through the Bitspower branding too. I did not set out to remove the branding, but by the time I got the block sanded down enough, it was mostly gone, so I just went a little more to get it all off. I prefer it without the branding anyway so that was a plus. A big thank you to @lowfat for his Acrylic Polishing Guide

Here is the pump assembly mounted in place. I wanted the pump top to be at the correct height so that the input tubing will be perfectly horizontal and level. These brackets took much longer to make than I anticipated!

Here's some close ups out in the sun.

Here’s where I am going to ask everyone for your input. How should I finish these brackets off? I have some of the Cardinal paint that looks just like the CaseLabs black powder coating, right now I’m leaning to just painting them black.

However, since they are aluminum I could have them polished to a chrome like finish, or even have them chrome plated. What do you think?
Please post a reply with paint them, polish them or chrome plate them.

post #143 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Ladies, One at a Time

Rep: 311 (Unique: 188)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Mounting Dual Aquacomputer D5 Pumps with Aquabus Interface – Custom Mounting Brackets
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I want to be able to control the speed of the pumps through the Aquabus interface on the Aquaero 6 which is why I selected these pumps. No need to use up a fan channel this way and no fooling around with a little red knob on the bottom either.

I know many people just set their pump speeds then never adjust it again, but I want to be able to play with the pump speeds so I can chart out flow rate and temperature differences at different pump speeds.

The pump top I chose is the Bitspower Dual D5 Top - Acrylic version Model # BP-2D5TOPAC-BK. I chose this top strictly because I really like how it looks! This top was unavailable for about six months, not sure why, but it's back available again now.

Then I picked up a pair of Bitspower D5 mod kits to cover the pumps with. I really wanted to get them in chrome or “silver shining” as Bitspower calls it, but either they don’t make them anymore or nobody on the planet had them in stock when I needed them. So I ordered them in matte black instead.

Also these mod kits are designed for regular D5 pumps and not the Aquacomputer ones with USB and Aquabus connections. There are four additional plugs on the bottom of the pumps, so I cut a square hole out on the bottom plate of the mod kits.

Here’s the Bitspower mounting brackets for this pump top. It’s designed for mounting on the bottom of a case, not over a radiator with fans like I am doing. There would not be enough clearance underneath to plug in the USB and Aquabus connectors, plus they would have to bend in somewhat to get them to line up with the mounting brackets on the two fans.

You can also see here that I took the mod kits to the chrome shop. The bottom plate is polished and the pump covers were chrome plated.

I also had one of these style pump brackets laying around, this one is too low as well, and I really don’t like how the bracket sticks out over the edges of the pump top.

So… I decided to make some brackets that will fit my needs better. I bought a 6” x 10” scrap piece of 1/8" 5052 Aluminum Sheet on ebay, took it over to my Dad’s house and had him cut it into four pieces on his table saw. This gave me three pieces the right width to match the pump top, plus one piece that's slightly too narrow, but I'll use that one to make a practice bend with.

I bought a mini brake that fits into a vise. Whenever I have needed to bend metal in the past, I just put it in the vise and hammer it over, but I’m looking for a cleaner bend here.

Make sure to get the piece straight in the vise or you’ll end up with a crooked bracket. I used a small level on the side. Here’s half way bent.

Fully bent here. I'm a pretty strong guy and I could barely complete this bend! 1/8" sheet is certainly the max thickness that can be bent by hand in a vise.

It came out with a nice 90 degree bend.

The brackets looked kind of plain with straight sides, so I decided to cut some curves into the brackets similar to how the Bitspower brackets were. Using a saber saw, some files and sand paper here’s how they look now.

The pump covers stick out beyond the edges of the pump top. There is a Tap Plastics close to me, I had them make the small pieces that will serve as spacers between the pump top and the brackets.

Here is the back side of the pump top, there is two holes for 3mm LEDs. I’ll put two white LEDs in there. The second plate holds the wiring in place.

Here I have two Darkside 3mm LEDs installed so I can check the length. I'll resleeve these and put them on one three pin fan connector like I did for the reservoirs.

Under the brackets I’m putting some pieces of 1/8” Isolate It! Sorbothane Vibration Damping Sheets I found on Amazon. Using my paper hole punch to make the holes for the bolts. Also I put rubber washers between the fans and the mounting brackets that screw onto the fans. Now I have two layers of vibration dampening which I think will work great.

I spent at least nine hours polishing this top! Not all at one time though, I’d work on it for about an hour or so at a time. I’d put a Warriors game on the TV with a piece of glass and all my different grits of sand paper in front of me, and polish away. I ended up sanding right through the Bitspower branding too. I did not set out to remove the branding, but by the time I got the block sanded down enough, it was mostly gone, so I just went a little more to get it all off. I prefer it without the branding anyway so that was a plus. A big thank you to @lowfat for his Acrylic Polishing Guide

Here is the pump assembly mounted in place. I wanted the pump top to be at the correct height so that the input tubing will be perfectly horizontal and level. These brackets took much longer to make than I anticipated!

Here's some close ups out in the sun.
[I

Here’s where I am going to ask everyone for your input. How should I finish these brackets off? I have some of the Cardinal paint that looks just like the CaseLabs black powder coating, right now I’m leaning to just painting them black.
However, since they are aluminum I could have them polished to a chrome like finish, or even have them chrome plated. What do you think?
Please post a reply with paint them, polish them or chrome plate them.

Polish them thumb.gif

TCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
What ever you decide, you'll need to do something about the screw heads as they will look out of place. You might want to look at SnapCaps from mon-one.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #145 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne View Post

Polish them
Thanks for your input TCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

What ever you decide, you'll need to do something about the screw heads as they will look out of place. You might want to look at SnapCaps from mon-one.
ruffhi you do not miss a thing my friend. I actually bought those allen head screw to match the other screws I'm using, however those are 16mm in length, and they ended up being too long. I put three washers on each screw so I could tighten everything up and test fit the pumps. I've already ordered some M4 x 14mm screws that should be perfect.

I am going to order some of those screw caps you linked for me the next time I place a Mod One order. I've been all over that site, but never really noticed those screw caps.

I installed the hard line from the pass through to the pump top because I want to be sure that line is level before I finish the brackets.

I'll tee into the tube coming off the pass through/back wall to the reservoir later.

I needed to raise the pumps just slightly, plus I needed a little more clearance from the nuts holding the pump brackets to the fan brackets. They were just a little too close to the fans. I was going to add another rubber washer between the fans and the fan brackets, but once I got the assembly off, I just slightly bent the fan brackets up in the middle. Now I have enough fan clearance, and the tubing is perfectly level thumb.gif

I still have not decided if I'm going to paint the pump brackets or chrome/polish them. TCO was the only one to reply on the feedback I asked for, but I'll decide shortly and get the brackets finished up.

post #146 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

I still have not decided if I'm going to paint the pump brackets or chrome/polish them. TCO was the only one to reply on the feedback I asked for, but I'll decide shortly and get the brackets finished up.

Opinion ... there is not enough red in (IN!) the case. The fans are a nice touch ... maybe red pump supports?

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #147 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
For what it’s worth, I’d say chrome plate the supports to match the pump covers – which look stunning by the way. Red SnapCaps over the screw heads for contrast, perhaps repainted for an exact match with the fans below.

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
post #148 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post

For what it’s worth, I’d say chrome plate the supports to match the pump covers – which look stunning by the way. Red SnapCaps over the screw heads for contrast, perhaps repainted for an exact match with the fans below.
Thank you for your input! I like your idea of the red SnapCaps, that would look good, especially painted to match thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

Opinion ... there is not enough red in (IN!) the case. The fans are a nice touch ... maybe red pump supports?
I had not considered painting the brackets red thinking.gif

This makes me realize that while I've had this build pictured in my mind for a long time now, I've never really explained what I have planned for the inside.

The Inside Color Scheme

With the outside all red, and the inside "blank canvas" all gunmetal, my plan is to have red accents with some black mixed in. Since there's a lot of red on the outside, I wanted to be careful not to "over do" the red on the inside. I did even consider painting the radiators red at one point.

Here's the plan starting with the main side, there's red fan blades, the power cables will be mostly red with a little gunmetal and black. I'll also be using red coolant, so the large reservoir will be red too. Remember this in not the motherboard I'll be using in this build, but whatever I go with may have red. Also since this is a reverse ATX build, the acrylic GPU water blocks will show with red coolant, the CPU or mono block will also be acrylic. Finally there is the large 16mm acrylic tubing with red coolant.

For the second side there's red fan blades, power cables, a second reservoir, and tubing like the main side, with the addition of the illuminated polished acrylic pump top that will show the red coolant thumb.gif

I think it will all tie in nicely! I hope you now have a better picture of what it will look like when it is completed. I'm always open to suggestions too, so feel free to post any of your ideas.

Coming up soon I'll be putting some coolant in one of the reservoirs so we can see what it will look like, also to test the LED illumination to see how that looks. I have two different colors of red sleeving I'll be asking your help to decide which one to go with. I'll get some pictures of the sleeving next to the coolant to help us decide which one looks best.
cheers.gif

post #149 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Testing EK CryoFuel Blood Red Coolant - Choosing a red color of sleeving

I picked up some EK CryoFuel Blood Red coolant on my last order so I could see if I like the color. I've used the Mayhem's Pastel Red before and was extremely disappointed in the color of it. I'm sure the quality of the coolant as far as longevity and biocides are concerned is just fine. Mayhems makes great coolants and stands behind his products. I just could not take the color.

First let's look at the advertised picture of the EK CryoFuel Blood Red directly from the EK site.

I just capped off one of the reservoirs and filled it with the EK CryoFuel Blood Red, here's how it looks. These pictures were taken indoors and the fans look slightly orange here. I filled a small piece of tubing too so you could see the color difference between the reservoir and what it will look like in the tubing. Of course that piece of tubing is just resting against the res.

Now here's the advertised color of the Mayhems Pastel Red. I wish I could get some that looked like this!

Now we will see what it really looks like. The right glass is Mayhems Pastel Red. The middle glass is the EK CryoFuel Blood Red. The left glass is Mayhems X1 Red. I only had a small amount of that left which is why there is only a little bit in that glass. It looks a lot like the EK CryoFuel Blood Red.

To me the Mayhems Pastel Red looks like a strawberry Daiquiri! It's really pink and not red at all. I've purchased the Pastel red on three different occasions, three different vendors, concentrated and regular and they all look like this rolleyes.gif

I put the Pastel red in my last build and just could not take it. I flushed the system and put Mayhems X1 Red in instead.

Another shot with the tube of EK CryoFuel Blood red next to the glass with the same coolant.

Which color of red sleeving should I use?

Several years back when you could only buy MDPC-X sleeving from Nils in Europe, I bought a "dumping pack" of red sleeving, which was like 100 meters I think. A big roll for sure. Then I noticed that Mod-one.com listed an "Italian Red" MDPC-X sleeve. Kevin from Mod-One told me that the Italian Red would be replacing the regular red, and that he considered it "a true red". So I bought some of that too. I'm already using the MDPC-X Platinum-Grey which is the "Gunmetal" match for this case, and I'll also be using some black as well. So I need your help to decide which "Red" color to use. The Italian Red is darker than the regular red. Let's see how they both look next to the red coolant, and the red fans.

The Italian Red is the top one.

The Italian Red is the lower one in this picture.

Italian Red back on top.

With the tube of coolant.

Here's the sleeving against a bay drive cover from the front with the Italian Red on top again.

Let me know which Red color of sleeving you would use.
Just post "Red" or "Italian Red" below to vote.

Thanks for voting and coming along for the ride cheers.gif

post #150 of 516 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 103)
Italian Red for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in