[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 16 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #151 of 528 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 20)
I second the Italia Red and would personally try the EK fluid this time around to see how it compares with Mayhems. Nono on the pastel like you mentioned.

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 528 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
I like the Italia red also, It's a nice shade in between the coolant and your paint color.
post #153 of 528 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge180SX View Post

Italian Red for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi View Post

I second the Italia Red and would personally try the EK fluid this time around to see how it compares with Mayhems. Nono on the pastel like you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever2stacks View Post

I like the Italia red also, It's a nice shade in between the coolant and your paint color.

Thanks for the feedback guys! By the time I was done taking those pictures, I too was pretty much convinced that the Italian red was the way to go, so that's what I'll use thumb.gif

I can live with the EK CryoFuel Blood Red coolant if I have too, but I would really prefer a lighter colored clear red coolant, or a true red pastel would be fine too. I know that EK is working on a new pastel line, and Mayhems is working on some new coolants too, as usual. So I'll wait until closer to the time when the build is done, and get some samples of whatever reds are available then.

A quick recap and look forward

We're more that half way through 2017 so I am going to quickly recap what I've got done so far, and take a look forward to the plan for the rest of the year. I received the case over the Thanksgiving weekend last year, started ordering parts in December, and then finally got the build log started in February.

When I started this build there were many "unknowns", like I did not know who was going to do the powder coating, and what it was going to turn out like. I wasn't sure if I was really going to be able to fit six radiators in the case. I have laughed many times while working on this build, how many times I've had to drill, cut, file, or grind to make something fit even though it is such a giant case.

All things considered I'm very happy with the progress I've made so far, as I said in the opening post, it was planned to be a project that took a year or more. We had record rainfall here this last Winter, and I got lucky getting some nice windows of good enough weather in the spring time to get all of the paint work done early. It was a lot of work cleaning, painting and mounting all the radiators, and painting/modding all the fans. Glad to have all that part done smile.gif

Speaking of weather, we recently had an eight day hot spell with the temperatures between the upper 90s and low 100s. My work shop has been so hot! It's been over 100 degrees, so I haven't been in there much lately, and haven't gotten much done lately either.

Besides the fact that at times it's just too hot in the work shop, I spend every Saturday between May and Thanksgiving weekend (weather permitting in November) at this private lake barefoot water skiing.
This is from standing on my friends dock.

This is looking right from the same spot... heaven on earth!

I also have a fairly large rose garden that takes a lot of my time this time of year. I'll be very busy from now until around Thanksgiving, so I'll have limited time to work on the build. I still have a fairly long list of small things to do that take time.

Here's a partial list:
  • Finish the pumps, sleeving the power cables and LEDs.
  • Make Aquabus cables for the two pumps, level sensor and flow meter.
  • Shorten and sleeve the USB cables to Aquaero LT, Farbwerk, both pumps, level sensor and flow meter.
  • Sleeve the temp sensors.
  • Make power cables for both Aquaeros, the SSD hot swap bays, and HDDs.
  • Finish power cables to the Splittys
  • Install all the tubing that I can

I have plenty to work on over the next few months! So I'll be giving small updates as I chip away at this list, weather and time permitting. Meanwhile it's still going to take several more months until we see all the X299 motherboards, and they become widely available. It's also going to take a few more months for the water blocks to come out.

I also want to see what Tread Ripper will be like. When I started this build I would have never considered AMD, but their Ryzen CPUs have done quite well, so I won't rule AMD out completely, but at this point I'm looking at the i9 7900X as my most likely choice of CPUs. I probably won't start acquiring hardware until at least the November-December time frame.

The biggest unknown for me right now it the Volta Titan release date. It might not be until Q1 of 2018 before we see those, hopefully sooner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 528 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got the leaking 90 degree fitting replaced connecting the top two radiators.

Passed the leak test this time thumb.gif

I now have the top two radiators connected as well as the front two radiators, and air pressure testing good.
Here's a shot without the front pull fans, so you can see the tube connecting the front two radiators.

From the other side.

I've been doing some testing on these Bitspower EML16 fittings for the 16mm hard tube. They come with two different size O-rings for the secondary seal. I need a few more pictures and then I'll share the results.

post #155 of 528 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 03:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Glad you got the leaky fitting sorted out, I'm really excited to see this beast in all of it's glory!!!!

Lever
post #156 of 528 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
MSI has released a video on how to install AMD's new threadripper (16C/32thread) CPU here:
Looks pretty straight forward for an experienced system builder such as Barefooter.
post #157 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 8)
question about your pump placement vs the reservoir :

the port entry for your pump assembly is slightly higher than your pump outlet, won't this be a problem ?
(I am building my first loop and I want to make sure I don't make it wrong)
post #158 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever2stacks View Post

Glad you got the leaky fitting sorted out, I'm really excited to see this beast in all of it's glory!!!!

Lever
Yes I'm looking forward to seeing it "in all it's glory" too! Still have a ways to go though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

MSI has released a video on how to install AMD's new threadripper (16C/32thread) CPU here:
Looks pretty straight forward for an experienced system builder such as Barefooter.
I saw that video already. Man that chip is humongous!

I am going to take a series look at Threadripper! I've never used AMD cpus before, but right now I'm really not happy with Intel. We all know they have been gouging the HEDT users for years due to no competition. It seems like now they are getting "off track" while AMD is making all the right moves.

In order to get 44 lanes to the CPU with Intel you have to pony up $1000 for the i9-7900x cpu. I don't really need 10 cores, and would have been fine purchasing the 8 core 7820x, however with only 28 lanes it really cripples the motherboard and limits your hardware options. In that case I might as well just buy a Z270 motherboard mad.gif

I'm still several months away from buying hardware, so I'm going to wait for all the reviews on Threadripper and the associated motherboards. Also wanting to see some reviews on the other Intel CPUs coming out for the X299 chipset before making a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubijub View Post

question about your pump placement vs the reservoir :

the port entry for your pump assembly is slightly higher than your pump outlet, won't this be a problem ?
(I am building my first loop and I want to make sure I don't make it wrong)
Assuming you meant "pump assembly is slightly higher than the reservoir outlet"

As long as the water level in the reservoir is higher than the pump inlet it should be fine. I'll have the reservoir filled to the top so I don't foresee any problems.

After the loop is mostly finished and before hardware goes in, I'll put a bypass hose where the hardware is, fill it up and give it a test run just to be sure.

post #159 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Assuming you meant "pump assembly is slightly higher than the reservoir outlet"

As long as the water level in the reservoir is higher than the pump inlet it should be fine. I'll have the reservoir filled to the top so I don't foresee any problems.

After the loop is mostly finished and before hardware goes in, I'll put a bypass hose where the hardware is, fill it up and give it a test run just to be sure.

Thanks, you've answered my question perfectly. I indeed meant pump higher than reservoir outlet.
post #160 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

I am going to take a series look at Threadripper! I've never used AMD cpus before, but right now I'm really not happy with Intel. We all know they have been gouging the HEDT users for years due to no competition. It seems like now they are getting "off track" while AMD is making all the right moves.

In order to get 44 lanes to the CPU with Intel you have to pony up $1000 for the i9-7900x cpu. I don't really need 10 cores, and would have been fine purchasing the 8 core 7820x, however with only 28 lanes it really cripples the motherboard and limits your hardware options. In that case I might as well just buy a Z270 motherboard mad.gif

I'm still several months away from buying hardware, so I'm going to wait for all the reviews on Threadripper and the associated motherboards. Also wanting to see some reviews on the other Intel CPUs coming out for the X299 chipset before making a decision.

If you don't need 10 cores, the 8 core 1900X Threadripper CPU from AMD with the full 64 PCIE lanes might interest you. Price is going to be around $550, add around $350 for the X399 motherboard and it will be less than the cost of a single i9-7900X. The 1900X will have a higher base clock of 3.8GHz compared to the 12 core (1920X) and 16 core (1950X) units. Suspect the power demand for Threadripper to be around 180W and you've got plenty of radiators to dissipate that heat.

Interesting times ahead for those going into HEDT builds as AMD is offering solid options while Intel has been sitting on it's laurels for far too long.

As you're willing to wait until end of the year to decide, there will be plenty of reviews comparing Threadripper to Intel's i9. Suspect the value award is going to be with AMD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in