[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 17 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #161 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 35)
I'd be disappointed if this build had anything less than a threadripper 16 core.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Caught up on yours today! Looking great.....keep it going!

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
post #163 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

If you don't need 10 cores, the 8 core 1900X Threadripper CPU from AMD with the full 64 PCIE lanes might interest you. Price is going to be around $550, add around $350 for the X399 motherboard and it will be less than the cost of a single i9-7900X. The 1900X will have a higher base clock of 3.8GHz compared to the 12 core (1920X) and 16 core (1950X) units. Suspect the power demand for Threadripper to be around 180W and you've got plenty of radiators to dissipate that heat.

Interesting times ahead for those going into HEDT builds as AMD is offering solid options while Intel has been sitting on it's laurels for far too long.

As you're willing to wait until end of the year to decide, there will be plenty of reviews comparing Threadripper to Intel's i9. Suspect the value award is going to be with AMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0451 View Post

I'd be disappointed if this build had anything less than a threadripper 16 core.
To all the AMD fans out there... yes I will be giving Threadripper a serious look! The ROG Zenith Extreme motherboard looks great and we should be seeing the reviews coming out shortly thinking.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

Caught up on yours today! Looking great.....keep it going!
Welcome and great to have you following along Chris! I spent many hours drooling over the pictures on your BBBB build log which is still my favorite build log of all time thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Testing the Bitspower BP-EML16 fittings for 16mm hard tubing

I like builds that use all straight tubing with fittings, and I also like builds that use just tubing with bends. I still have not decided if I'm going to use all fittings, or mostly fittings with some bends only where there is an external 90 degree bend.

What I mean by external 90 is like this mock up I did while working on the pump brackets. I want to make sure that the 90 degree fitting hanging out there won't pop off and spray water everywhere (yes I'm slightly paranoid tongue.gif)

When I was first looking into these fittings I found a great "mini-guide" on this post by @Costas I used this as a starting point while playing around with these fittings.

Here's the Bitspower BP-EML16 fittings.

Let's take one out of the packet. It comes out of the bag with the collar on, and a secondary o-ring already inside. It looks like it comes with an extra o-ring thinking.gif

No there are two different sizes of O-rings.

I couldn't find any information on which one to use. Measuring eight different packets of fittings with a digital caliper the smaller o-ring on the left varied between 2.08mm and 2.12 mm, and the larger O-rings measured between 2.34 and 2.40 mm.

Here's the fitting as it comes out of the packet. Notice the o-ring isn't really pushed all the way into the groove.

Costas used a fat felt pen to push the o-ring all the way into the goove. I used the end of my xacto knive.

Just roll it around a few times.

This picture is from Costa's post, I put a dab of silicon grease on the o-ring with a toothpick. After my testing was completed I decided that I'll be skipping this step.

Then take a small piece of tubing with a nicely sanded edge and push it into the fitting once. Now the o-ring is as far in as possible and will be easier to install the tubing.

Here's with the two sizes of secondary O-rings, smaller one on the left.

With the collars screwed down you can see the left one with the smaller o-ring screws down a little more than the right one with the larger o-ring.

For the testing I decided to put two tubes, with four of the EML16 fittings and a 90 degree fitting under pressure to see how much pressure these fittings can take before a fitting pops off. Now keep in mind this is not a fancy scientific test like you would see from @fast_fate or @geggeg , just a workbench test for my own peace of mind.

The first test I did was using the smaller secondary O-rings and the O-rings inside the fittings lubed with silicon grease. I slowly pumped pressure in. One of the fittings would always pop off with less than 8 psi. Plus they did not feel very secure.

I swapped out the smaller secondary O-rings for the larger size O-rings, still using the fittings with silicon grease on them. Now I could get to about 8.5 to 9 psi before a fitting would pop off.

Next I opened up four new packets of the EML16 fittings and skipped putting any silicon grease on the O-rings. I still used the xacto knife and pushed a piece of tubing into the fitting first to seat the o-ring.

Using the larger secondary O-rings and pressure it up again. Now this test set-up can hold 11 psi and the fittings feel much better! It would take somewhere between 11 and 12 psi before a fitting would come off.

I finished that testing several weeks back and realized that I did not test the smaller secondary O-rings with the fittings without any silicon grease, so I ran the test again with just a straight tube and two fittings.

Surprisingly I found that both the large and small secondary O-rings would both hold 11 psi and could not hold 12 psi before popping off.

My conclusion is that I will not be putting any silicon grease in the O-rings. I found the tubing went into the fittings just fine without it anyway. If anything just dip the end of your tubing in some water before inserting it into the fittings.

If your tubing run is like this one where there is a fitting on each side that cannot be pushed off then it would be fine to use some silicon grease if you wanted to.

So I will be using the larger size secondary O-rings and no silicon grease.

Coming up next will be the final pictures of the pump set-up. I just have to finish the sleeving... it looks awesome!

post #165 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Snip

Unless things have changed there spare O-Rings. The smaller one is for the inside of the fitting if you need to replace it. Some forget to edge the sides of the tubing before inserting the tubing. They just tear the o ring apart when they do that.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon
post #166 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 105)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

I still have not decided if I'm going to use all fittings

Shouldn't that line read... "I still have not decided how empty my wallet will be" ....biggrin.gif

In regards to your pressure testing - In practice your loop's working pressure build up is way less than your lowest figure of 8 PSI (unless you have a serious restriction present) so you have plenty of headroom to play with.

You will also find that over time (a week or two), the O-rings will actually 'stick' to the tubing and will be much more difficult to remove which was another reason why I chose to add a small amount grease to them.

At the end of the day it won't make too much of a difference either way...

Looking forward to see you build completed...thumb.gif
post #167 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

Shouldn't that line read... "I still have not decided how empty my wallet will be" ....biggrin.gif

It’s only a little bankrupting…

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
post #168 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
How did you decide to finish the pump brackets?

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
post #169 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

No kidding, I could have built a fairly decent secondary rig with the fittings cost alone... LOL! thumb.gif

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
post #170 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 06:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Subbed... I am interested in the pumps as well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in