[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 18 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #171 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post

Unless things have changed there spare O-Rings. The smaller one is for the inside of the fitting if you need to replace it. Some forget to edge the sides of the tubing before inserting the tubing. They just tear the o ring apart when they do that.
I pulled an inside o-ring out and it is indeed the same size as the smaller o-ring. I would think if that was intended as a spare, then the larger one would come pre-installed in the collar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

Shouldn't that line read... "I still have not decided how empty my wallet will be" ....biggrin.gif

In regards to your pressure testing - In practice your loop's working pressure build up is way less than your lowest figure of 8 PSI (unless you have a serious restriction present) so you have plenty of headroom to play with.

You will also find that over time (a week or two), the O-rings will actually 'stick' to the tubing and will be much more difficult to remove which was another reason why I chose to add a small amount grease to them.

At the end of the day it won't make too much of a difference either way...

Looking forward to see you build completed...thumb.gif
Good to know the o-rings will stick better with time. Yes using all fittings is definitely more expensive!

Plus as you know using the larger 16mm tubing actually requires three fittings to make a 90, unlike the smaller size where you can get a single fitting like this.

I really liked the fitting spread sheet you did on your 'DownUnder' SMA8 Build - Déjà vu build. I've referenced that several times and may do one here too once the loop is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post

It’s only a little bankrupting…
You of all people should know wink.gif Your IronBeast build has to have the title of "Most fittings in one build"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

How did you decide to finish the pump brackets?
The pump brackets are complete and I am thrilled with how they came out! However... I am going to keep you in suspense until I get the final pump pictures done tongue.gif

While sleeving the pumps, as I reached for my bottle of Krazy glue I found that it had solidified. My extra bottle was bad too. So I ordered more with two day shipping like 10 days ago and still have not received it yet. Hopefully I will have some nice shots for you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi View Post

No kidding, I could have built a fairly decent secondary rig with the fittings cost alone... LOL! thumb.gif
I hear you. Fortunately I bought all the fitting I thought I needed awhile back. Of course as it turns out while installing the reservoirs and the first tube, I needed fittings that I did not have rolleyes.gif

Bags of EML16s and 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndb3nd3r View Post

Subbed... I am interested in the pumps as well...
Welcome aboard!

I am hoping to have the final pump pictures up here in the next few days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

The pump brackets are complete and I am thrilled with how they came out! However... I am going to keep you in suspense until I get the final pump pictures done tongue.gif

Such a tease......lol. All options would look fantastic, but I'm secretly rooting for the chrome plating.

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
post #173 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
+1 tor chrome plated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

Of course as it turns out while installing the reservoirs and the first tube, I needed fittings that I did not have rolleyes.gif

I'm doing my first WC build, and just realized today I need some 45s and male x male rotaries. Good to hear that the pros do this too lol smile.gif
post #175 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 53)
Quote:

I pulled an inside o-ring out and it is indeed the same size as the smaller o-ring. I would think if that was intended as a spare, then the larger one would come pre-installed in the collar.

Plus as you know using the larger 16mm tubing actually requires three fittings to make a 90, unlike the smaller size where you can get a single fitting like this.

The smaller one fits around most tubing just fine if you know what your doing.

I always use whats pre-installed (Both O-Rings). The other two are moot for me. Always remember to get the o-ring wet before trying to install tubing & have the edges of the tubing properly curved so o-ring does not get ripped apart.

That is only true with Bitspower other companies make 90, 45, etc... for 16mm OD. Unless your working with glass, it's easier just to bend the tubing to create 90 or 45 degree bends. Plus you can save a bit of money on fittings & to that money toward something else.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon
post #176 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

Such a tease......lol. All options would look fantastic, but I'm secretly rooting for the chrome plating.
Sorting through all the pics now... photo bomb soon thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndb3nd3r View Post

+1 tor chrome plated...
I think you'll be happy biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomuffins View Post

I'm doing my first WC build, and just realized today I need some 45s and male x male rotaries. Good to hear that the pros do this too lol smile.gif
Welcome and yes even with careful planning there is always something else needed it seems like.

post #177 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Pump set-up finished

When I was first thinking of how I wanted to finish the pump mounting brackets, I must admit that I was feeling a little lazy at the time. "I'll just paint these real quick and be done with them" is what I was thinking. But after some thought, I decided that they just must be chrome plated!

On a sad side note, the chrome shop I've been using that has been family run for generations, and many decades was forced to shut it's doors due to ever increasing rules and regulations mad.gif

I had to talk the owner into doing this last project for me because they were closing in just a few weeks, I said "please it's the last pieces I need chrome plated for this build". He's always been interested in what I bring in because I'm the only person that brought computer parts in for plating, so he agreed to do it. They are closed now and this is the final job they did for me.

To recap what you are looking at here:
  • Dual Aquacomputer D5 Pumps with Aquabus Interface to be controlled from an Aquaero
  • Bitspower Dual D5 Top - Acrylic version - hand polished for 10 plus hours
  • Bitspower low profile stop plugs in chrome
  • Dual Bitspower D5 mod kits - modded to fit the Aquacomputer D5 pumps then chrome plated
  • Custom made pump brackets - chrome plated
  • Custom made acrylic spacer between the pump top and brackets
  • MDPC-X sleeving - Italian Red, Black and Platinum Grey
  • Darkside 3mm white LEDs custom sleeved with fan connector
  • Isolate It! Sorbothane Vibration Damping material under the brackets

This is the back side. I sleeved the power cable using the classic red for power and black for ground. That cable will plug directly into the power supply which is right above where the pumps mount.

I unsleeved the stock Darkside 3mm LEDs and joined them together with MDPC-X sleeving and put a fan connector on the end that will plug into the Splitty I'm using as a LED power distribution block.

Front view

I still have the protective plastic on the bottom of the vibration damping material. I'll peel that off before the final mounting. It's sticky but not too sticky.

I took these pictures outside with overcast skies

Let's see how it looks in the dark with the LEDs on.

Here is with some red coolant in the top. That's distilled water with some red dye.

You can see the overcast is burning off in the middle of my photo session.

Now the overcast is burned off completely.

I like the reflection of the connector on the chrome pump bracket here.

Finally dark shots with red coolant and the LEDs on.

I have a tremendous amount of time invested here, but I'm very happy with how this pump set-up turned out thumb.gif

I will get some more pictures once the pumps are actually mounted in the case. I had to take the reservoirs back out which I'll cover in the next update.

post #178 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:43 PM
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
Well, that is just awesome. Sorry to hear about the chrome shop though.

I'm thinking of a dual D5 serial top but I'm unsure of which to pursue if any. I want to run D5 Strongs at higher voltage but suspect that many of the aftermarket top makers were lazy in their volute design compared to the original Laing volutes. A fully driven D5 Strong may lift the impeller in an aftermarket top with a mediocre volute that would otherwise be fine for a normal D5. I think Martin of MLL had this issue.

Obviously, you'll be fine like this. The lighting looks great with the red liquid.

In fact, this vertical mount may be the best way to go for my situation. Inspiring.
post #179 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Beautiful pump setup. Beautiful.

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
post #180 of 528 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
I know that “Ooooh, shiny!” is not the most professional of comments, but honestly it’s all I can think of looking at that…

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in