[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 20 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #191 of 528 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpxchg8b View Post

Well, the original 6000 x 4000 pictures are always available upon clicking on the previews, so I'd say stick to the smaller previews... my 2c, anyway.

This build is... wow! Mad skillz. thumb.gif
Definitely worth the time it's taking.
Thanks for your input. Yeah I think I'll just keep the pictures the same as I've been doing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultDweller View Post

Subbing along for the ride. Better late than never.

Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join OCN. Planning a build on the THW10 also.

Great job so far. thumb.gif
Welcome to OCN and the build log! Never too late, still a ways to go here.

I've been working on custom length Aquabus cables. For those not familiar with the Aquaero fan controllers, the Aquabus cables allow the Aquaero to control pumps, flow meters, Farbwerks, and/or fill level sensors. The cables are basically just four pin fan cables with a fan connector on each end. This control protocol is limited to four devices.

I'll be using a Splitty9 splitter as an Aquabus splitter. The four devices I'll be using are two pumps, a fill level sensor in one of the reservoirs, and a flow meter. Plus a cable from each Aquaero for a total of six cables. I have them all done except for the flow meter which I still have to install.

For the shorter cables I merely shortened and sleeved some of the Aquabus cables that came with the products. The ones to the pumps I made from scratch.
Here is the longest one, it's 46" long. It will run from the farthest pump, behind the lower and front radiators and over to the Aquabus Splitty9 above the reservoir.

Here you can see the two Aquabus cables from the Aquaeros plugged into the Aquabus Splitty9.

Next up is making the power cables for all of the four fan Splitty9s.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 528 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 8)
I feel your pain smile.gif

I'm exactly at the same stage, producing cables like crazy (2 pumps, 1 res, 1 flow sensor, 1 AQ6 = tons of cable, especially as I dual connect them with USB too)

For the Splitty9 : you don't power the fans from the AQ6 ?
post #193 of 528 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Barefooter, what a wonderful thread!

As an amateur custom watercooler compared to you, after reading this thread I don't feel quite as bad about being a radiator geek since I own a MO-Ra3 Pro for one rig and 3 XSPC RX480 rads for another.

TMI is @25 miles from where I live, and I think at it's hottest point you have enough radiator capacity to keep it cool!smile.gif

Excited to watch this build take the next step to motherboard and cpu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 528 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Barefooter, same person as guskline above (foul up in passwords so I had alternate e-mail to access).

Dual D5s really increase pressure and flow rate. I have 2 D5s in series in an XSPC Twin D5 pump/res combo and WOW it really pushes the coolant.

They only have to contend with 3 480 rads, a cpu block and a gpu block.

You have a lot more restrictions.

9900k-5.0-Kraken X72|Asrock Z390 Taichi|16g-DDR4-3200 FlareX|EVGA GTX 2080TI Black| Corsair MP500-480g||PC P&C 950W|Thermaltake V51|Acer ET430k|Win10-64 home
5960x-4.4-EK WB|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2400|Gigabyte GTX1080TI WB |2-500gb ssds|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|3 XSPC RX480 |Dell UM3514W | Win 10-64 home
2700x stock H100i v2 240 AIO|Gigabyte 470|16g-DDR4-3200 Flare-X|Asrock Radeon VII |3-500g ssds|Antec 750W|Crsr 100R|BenQ3200+Oculus Rift
post #195 of 528 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guskline View Post

Barefooter, what a wonderful thread!

As an amateur custom watercooler compared to you, after reading this thread I don't feel quite as bad about being a radiator geek since I own a MO-Ra3 Pro for one rig and 3 XSPC RX480 rads for another.

TMI is @25 miles from where I live, and I think at it's hottest point you have enough radiator capacity to keep it cool!smile.gif

Excited to watch this build take the next step to motherboard and cpu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skline00 View Post

Barefooter, same person as guskline above (foul up in passwords so I had alternate e-mail to access).

Dual D5s really increase pressure and flow rate. I have 2 D5s in series in an XSPC Twin D5 pump/res combo and WOW it really pushes the coolant.

They only have to contend with 3 480 rads, a cpu block and a gpu block.

You have a lot more restrictions.
Welcome along for the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubijub View Post

I feel your pain smile.gif

I'm exactly at the same stage, producing cables like crazy (2 pumps, 1 res, 1 flow sensor, 1 AQ6 = tons of cable, especially as I dual connect them with USB too)

For the Splitty9 : you don't power the fans from the AQ6 ?
Originally I was planning to power the Splitty9s from the Aquaero XT which would have certainly been much easier. However, back when I was doing my fan testing, I found that eight of the EK Vardar fans per channel was more than the Aquaero XT could handle. It could do six fans per channel, but not eight without an over-current warning coming on.

I do have an Aquaero XT plus an Aquaero LT as a slave for a total of eight channels, however I need all eight channels, so I decided to power each Splitty9 from the power supply. Plus this way I'm not loading the Aquaeros so much either, and I can group the fans the way I want to.

Fan Channel 1 is eight push fans for both lower radiators.
Fan Channel 2 is eight push/pull fans for both front radiators.
Fan Channel 3 is six pull fans for upper radiators.
Fan Channel 4 is eight push fans for upper radiators.

I have been super busy lately, but did get the power cables for the Splitty9s done. I will end up using most of my Aux ports on the power supply, and will have extra PCI ports. With no need for 5 volts here, I used two PCI ports off of the power supply, each powering two Splitty9s. The red and black cables are the power and ground respectively. I put both the RPM and PWM wires into one grey sleeve and will run those over to the Aquaeros.

post #196 of 528 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Originally I was planning to power the Splitty9s from the Aquaero XT which would have certainly been much easier. However, back when I was doing my fan testing, I found that eight of the EK Vardar fans per channel was more than the Aquaero XT could handle. It could do six fans per channel, but not eight without an over-current warning coming on.

I do have an Aquaero XT plus an Aquaero LT as a slave for a total of eight channels, however I need all eight channels, so I decided to power each Splitty9 from the power supply. Plus this way I'm not loading the Aquaeros so much either, and I can group the fans the way I want to.

Fan Channel 1 is eight push fans for both lower radiators.
Fan Channel 2 is eight push/pull fans for both front radiators.
Fan Channel 3 is six pull fans for upper radiators.
Fan Channel 4 is eight push fans for upper radiators.

I have been super busy lately, but did get the power cables for the Splitty9s done. I will end up using most of my Aux ports on the power supply, and will have extra PCI ports. With no need for 5 volts here, I used two PCI ports off of the power supply, each powering two Splitty9s. The red and black cables are the power and ground respectively. I put both the RPM and PWM wires into one grey sleeve and will run those over to the Aquaeros.

Wow....
how many rads do you have ?
I thought I went big with a 560+480+360, but not, apparently biggrin.gif

Good luck with the sleeving, it took me 1.5 months to sleeve all the USB, Aquabus, PWM, Fans, temp sensors, etc...
I need to do the PSU cables now.
post #197 of 528 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

How to Update the Aquaero Firmware and Flash an Aquaero LT into a Slave unit using another computer

I recently updated the firmware on both of my Aquaeros and reflashed the Aquaero LT into a slave unit using my current daily driver computer. The reason I'm doing this is because I want of get all of the fan and Aquaero wiring finished up, and in order to flash the Aquaero LT into a slave unit to work off of the main Aquaero XT, nothing can be connected to the Aquaero LT unit except for the five pin USB cable.

It will be much easier to take out the Aquaeros now to flash them, rather than wait until later when I would have to disconnect all the wires to the Aquaero LT. This way I can flash it and connect all of my wiring even without the PC up and running yet.

Here's the steps:
The first step is to turn the computer off and either unplug the PSU from the wall or turn the switch off on the back of the PSU, otherwise the USB ports could still have power on. This is important!

I reflashed the firmware on my Aquaero XT first by plugging a five pin USB cable from the Aquaero XT into the motherboard with nothing else connected to the Aquaero. Make sure to plug it in correctly! The pin #1 has an arrow on the connector body and has a red wire to it. You can plug this in backwards. Make sure it's plugged in the correct way on both ends!

Start the computer, Windows 10 recognized the Aquaero and added it, and the "input devices" window popped open and showed the new device.

Next open the Aquasuite software, the device showed up and a warning came up that showed the firmware is out dated and this device will not function with this version of Aquasuite. It had firmware version 2003 on it, I've had this since around January. Press the reflash button and it took about one minute to update to firmware version 2009.

Then turn off the computer, and unplug the power cord from the wall. I then removed the Aquaero XT and plugged in the Aquaero LT. Again nothing else plugged into the Aquaero LT.

After restarting the computer the Aquasuite did not start properly, I was not able to see the Aquaero LT and I got a "expansion device not recognized" warning. I'm not sure what happened here, but after a shut down and restart it worked perfectly the second time.

I first updated the firmware from 2003 version to the newest 2009 version. Now to flash the Aquaero LT into a slave it's in the same location as the firmware update is, a big red warning box came up describing the operation as a slave and a warning not to have the Aquabus cable connected. Press the "Reprogram Device" button and in about a minute it is flashed into a slave unit.

Another warning states the slave unit will not be recognized by USB any longer and will only work over the Aquabus connected to the main Aquaero XT. Also keep in mind that the only ports that will work on the slave unit are the four fan channels and the temp sensor inputs. All other outputs are now disabled.

If you ever need to change the slave unit back into a normal Aquaero LT, you can do a factory reset, I think you have to jump four temp sensors and power it up to do that.

Now I can hook up everything I need to both Aquaeros and once I get to the point of installing the Aquasuite software I should be good to go thumb.gif

Quote:

Wow....
how many rads do you have ?

I thought I went big with a 560+480+360, but not, apparently biggrin.gif

Good luck with the sleeving, it took me 1.5 months to sleeve all the USB, Aquabus, PWM, Fans, temp sensors, etc...
I need to do the PSU cables now.
Six radiators all together. Two 560s up top, two 560s on the bottom and two 280s in the front. Yes I know it's way more than I need, but part of my theme is "Max Rads - Max Fans" biggrin.gif

post #198 of 528 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

All Fan wiring and Aquaero wiring complete

I've completely finished all the fan wiring and all the wiring to the Aquaeros. Wouldn't you know it right after finishing the wiring up and reflashing the firmware on the Aquaeros, and they come out with an updated Aquasuite software that requires new firmware rolleyes.gif

That's ok there is some great new features in the software and now you can actually have a third Aquaero as a slave unit! Here's a link that describes everything that is new or updated in the Aquasuite software.

At this point I'll just wait and do the updates once I'm up and running. I did fire up the power supply to test all the fans, all thirty 140mm fans, both 120mm fans, and the two little fans in the SSD hot sway bay are working fine. I have always used the Aquasuite software to make any changes to the Aquaero programming because it's easier that way, but I did spend some time playing around with the touch screen on the Aquaero XT. It takes some time to figure it all out, but you can do a lot from the touch screen.

I have control over the slave Aquaero LT channels now. You can set the fan control to power, RPM or PWM from the touch screen. I had changed it to PWM control awhile back when I was doing all my fan testing, but I was able to go in and rename the fan channels, adjust the speed, and change the screen display pages all from the touch screen.

I shortened and sleeved two ambient temperature sensors. Don't worry if you want to shorten the temperature sensors that come with the Aquaeros. The thermistor is at the end, and the wires have virtually no resistance, so shortening them will not change the value. I used my ohm meter to verify this. Here's the shortened ambient temp sensors.

One ambient sensor is going up top above the top intake fans. I will use the average of both ambient sensors for the actual ambient temperature.

The second ambient sensor I put in front of the left front radiator fans. You can see it through the grill here on the right side.

I also shortened and sleeved this Bitspower water temperature sensor plug.

I put the water temperature sensor in the front of the left front radiator. I'll probably only use one water temperature sensor, but may add another one later. I will set up a fan curve based upon the delta of the ambient temperature and the water temperature.

Here's the molex power cable that powers both Aquaeros and the Farbwerk. I put a clip right behind the reservoir to support the cable. Also the power cables that powers four Splitty9s, two up top and two at the bottom.

I installed the Flow meter here. I put two layers of the Isolate It! Sorbothane Vibration Damping Sheets under the flow meter. This is the same material I used under the pump mounting brackets. This is for support and isolation from the power supply as well.

Custom length USB cable and Aquabus cable installed to flow meter. The new Aquasuite software also requires firmware updates using USB cables, so I'm very glad now that I've made custom length five pin USB cables for both pumps, the fill level sensor in the one reservoir and this flow meter. Now I'm just going to keep the USB cables installed permanently, so it will be easy to update all these components firmware in the future.

Here's with all the wiring hooked up to both Aquaeros. It took a long time to make all these cables!

I also put a little numbered sticker under the fan channel cables, so if and when I have to disconnect anything here it will be easier to get everything plugged back in correctly.

Next on my list is to make the molex power cable for the SSD hot swap bays.

post #199 of 528 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 01:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

post #200 of 528 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

nice wiring Barefooter, very clean.
Thank you Jubijub! I've been enjoying following along with your build too. I see we are using some of the same components thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in