[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 23 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #221 of 520 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 111 (Unique: 94)
Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB Unboxing

I really liked the Intel 750 SSD series when they were released about three years ago, and I especially liked the fact that EK made a water block for it.

I was really hoping the successor to that drive would come out in time for me to use it in this build. Plus the Optane memory itself is quite a revolutionary technology in my opinion.

You can check out some of the reviews and charts that show just how fast the random read and write speeds are. In this category it just smokes all other SSDs, including all the Samsung SSDs. It also has very high endurance, and will maintain high performance even as the drive fills up, unlike normal SSDs.

Needless to say, I am very excited about this piece of hardware! Let's get to the unboxing.
This is the back side of the outer box, sealed up with tape on the bottom. This was shipped in an even larger box.

Opening the outer box there is a plastic bag covering the actual product box.

Here's the fancy product box with the Star Citizen promotion. I don't play Star Citizen, I just want the drive.

Flipping the box over, it too is sealed with tape.

It sits nicely packed in foam and there's a half height bracket included as well.

Let's take this bad boy out of the box.

The heat sink on top is very nice. There is no fan inside, it just vents out the rear.

Here it is laying next to a GTX690 so you can get a better size reference.

Since I'm doing a reverse build and putting this SSD in the last slot it will sit like this above the second video card. You will still be able to see the video card block nicely.

I will be using this drive mainly for Windows and programs. I am really hoping that EK or some company will make a water block for this, because if they do I will for sure put one on thumb.gif

Either way this Intel 900P SSD will make this build as snappy as possible!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 520 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 228 (Unique: 158)
Lol...I want one of those also. We will have nearly identical builds after my next update.

Signature Worthy Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathik7 go_quote.gif

if it annoys you so much please refrain from seeing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis24 go_quote.gif

Ok so here is my report....IT AIN"T HAPPENING!
post #223 of 520 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Let's take this bad boy out of the box.

oh oh ... you have a problem. It isn't red frown.gif.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 520 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 20)
I just ordered the Primochill RFB, thanks for the tip Barefooter & ruffi! I've gone through 4 of those little red deburr tools so I figured ordering one of these can save with ongoing expenses. thumb.gif

Unit 02
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus X Apex
GPU
NVIDIA Titan Xp
RAM
GSkill Trident Z - 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 PRO - 512GB
Power Supply
PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360
Case
Lian Li PC-O11
Monitor
Dell AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 300
Audio
AKG K7XX
▲ hide details ▲
post #225 of 520 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 53)
Quote:

What kind data are you compiling and processing that you need a drive that fast? It's slightly faster then 960Pro, but not worth the price when your only getting 480 GB and only has a small increase over the 960.

as for a waterblock, It's currently not in the pipeline for EK. Who made the last waterblock for the old intel SSD.
Quote:

Working on the Tubing

I also bought this Henco deburrer tool. It's supposed to clean up the end and make it smooth. I could not find this tool anywhere in the States, so I had to order this from someplace in Europe and the shipping was more than the tool cost!

Recently PrimoChill came out with this tool PrimoChill RFB Rigid Tubing Finishing Bit

Highflow.nl charges a flat rate of 25 dollars for shipping + more based on weight and size. It's why it's a good idea to do bulk order when ordering overseas, unless your ordering from places like MDPC-X or Moddiy which is only 9 dollars.

I had Highflow.nl tool for awhile it left marks on all different brands of tubing I had from Bitspower to AlphaCool. It doesn't have a buffer unlike Primochill version, it's why Primochill version is double the price. It's a nice little tool when working with PETG or acrylic(It's useless to me now since I'm working with Glass). The rpm's must remain below 500 or it will start to damage the tubing (Both versions).

I noticed you changed your motherboard. Did you sell your other board/cpu?

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon
post #226 of 520 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpachris View Post

Lol...I want one of those also. We will have nearly identical builds after my next update.
Well if we both end up with nearly identical hardware, then we will both have screamin' machines then thumb.gif I have to ask this... is your "next update" an update to the infamous "BBBB" build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

oh oh ... you have a problem. It isn't red frown.gif.
I got a good laugh out of that one ruffhi smile.gif Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody will make a water block with acrylic top and the red coolant will show through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi View Post

I just ordered the Primochill RFB, thanks for the tip Barefooter & ruffi! I've gone through 4 of those little red deburr tools so I figured ordering one of these can save with ongoing expenses. thumb.gif
I think you will like the tool chibi. It should certainly outlast the other type of deburring tool.

post #227 of 520 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

The RAM is here!

When I started this build, I was originally planning on putting 64GB of RAM in it, but that was back before ram prices climbed to the "ludicrous" level. I have always used G.Skill ram and have always had good luck with it. I also have had my eye on their RGB RAM. I'm not a RGB fan at all, but I saw this picture of it on the web all in red and thought I could at least leave it turned to all red and it would match the color theme nicely.

I decided to go with the TridentZ RGB 32GB 3200 14-14-14 kit. This kit has nice tight timings and is actually slightly faster than the 3600 16-16-16 kit. Apparently both kits are binned the same.
32GB of ram is actually plenty of ram for me, and I can easily upgrade to a larger kit down the road if I want too.

With only four sticks of ram it won't be a huge stress on the IMC, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze a little more overclock out of the CPU.

This side has a brushed silver/grey color, a nice match for my color theme.

This side is black another color match. The G.Skill RGB control software is still beta after two years, and is still causing SPD corruption issues for some people. I've read that the Asus Aura software works fine for controlling the RGB on these RAM sticks, so that is what I plan to use.

That is the last "unboxing" for awhile, but now I have enough hardware here to set up the test bench thumb.gif

post #228 of 520 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Quote:

Thanks for posting the links ruffhi thumb.gif

I put the last of my hard line runs in today. Used the miter saw ... perfect for cutting 1/2" OD tubes. Also used the finishing bit manually and it worked perfectly. I think that wet sandpaper is a thing of the past for me now when it comes to hard line tubes.

I picked up 64gb of RAM when I started my build ... glad I got it then. I paid $350 G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ... pcpartpicker has this for over $900. Not as good a return as bitcoin.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #229 of 520 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Computer Art

Rep: 304 (Unique: 206)
Subbed fo sho, better late than never!

post-flame-small.gifTEARS IN RAIN A Blade Runner inspired build (2017)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM WARFARE An Advanced Warfare themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM TITANFALL A Titanfall themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifROBOCOP A Robocop themed 900D build (2013/14)post-flame-small.gif

post #230 of 520 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

I put the last of my hard line runs in today. Used the miter saw ... perfect for cutting 1/2" OD tubes. Also used the finishing bit manually and it worked perfectly. I think that wet sandpaper is a thing of the past for me now when it comes to hard line tubes.

I picked up 64gb of RAM when I started my build ... glad I got it then. I paid $350 G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ... pcpartpicker has this for over $900. Not as good a return as bitcoin.
Glad the tool is working out well for you. There's no going back to the sandpaper now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswalt1 View Post

Subbed fo sho, better late than never!
Welcome glad to have you James. Never to late to join in thumb.gif

While I was waiting for hardware to arrive I was able to make the tubing run from the pump top to the lower radiator. You can see the motherboard tray is removed at the moment.

I could have gone off the top port of the pump top directly over to that rear top port of the lower radiator. It would have saved one 90 degree fitting, but that would have been the only piece of tubing on a diagonal on this side. I like it this way better, all the tubing is horizontal, vertical or perpendicular.

I only have one more tube to install on this side, a long straight tube from the outer top lower radiator port where the extension and 90 degree fitting is over to the dual rotary on the outer port of the front radiator.

You won't believe this... I ran out of the EML16 hardline fittings. I ordered a bunch of fittings early on, and at that point I was not sure if I was going to bend tubing or use all fittings. I originally ordered 30 of those fittings. I'm estimating I'm going to need 21 more, so I ordered 24 more fittings. Once I have those I'll be able to finish up the tubing on this side.

Now to fire up the test bench...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in