[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 24 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #231 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 111 (Unique: 94)
Up and running on the Test Bench - Windows installed

It's time to get the test bench set up. One really nice thing about the CaseLabs cases is that you can pull the motherboard tray out and convert it into a test bench. The case comes with rubber feet that screw onto the backside of the motherboard tray. Here I have the first one installed in the upper left.

All four rubber feet installed.

Motherboard mounted up.

From this angle you can see the lighting traces through the armor.

The armor looks "chrome like" from this angle. Asus calls it "Indium-plated ROG armor"

Here's the CPU i9-7900X

To complete my "ghetto test bench" I'm going to use a spare power supply, a Corsair H110 280mm all in one cooler, the Intel Optane 900P SSD, and an old but trusty GTX690 video card. I sold off all of my unused Nvidia cards, I borrowed this card from one of my buddies so I can test the rest of the hardware here.

Bottom of the CPU

No bent pins thumb.gif

CPU and cooler installed.

With the GTX690 and the Intel 900P SSD installed.

RAM installed

All the necessary power cables connected. Now to fire it up band.gif

The motherboard and RAM light up like a Christmas tree as soon as it turns on.

I updated the bios to 1004, installed Windows 10 Pro, did all the windows updates, updated all the chipset and misc. Asus software. It seems to run fine. Now to run HCI memtest and verify I've got good sticks of RAM before doing anything else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Computer Art

Rep: 304 (Unique: 206)
Love that about the case labs! Glad everything is up and running good thumb.gif

post-flame-small.gifTEARS IN RAIN A Blade Runner inspired build (2017)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM WARFARE An Advanced Warfare themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM TITANFALL A Titanfall themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifROBOCOP A Robocop themed 900D build (2013/14)post-flame-small.gif

post #233 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Testing the RAM with HCI Memtest

To test the memory I turned the XMP profile on in the bios, then I ran HCI Memtest from a disc. It boots from the disk without loading Windows so you can test all of the RAM at once. Normally if you run the test to 500% with zero errors the memory is probably ok. It took 15.6 hours to perform that.

At 1500% you are for sure good to go. It took 47 hours to get to 1500% still with no errors.

I really didn't have time to work on anything else, so I just let it run... after almost six days or 141 hours the test got to over 4500% with zero errors thumb.gif

I have updated the OP hardware section. I decided to leave the original "Proposed Hardware at the start of build log" section there since it was over 10 months ago that I put that list together. I added a new "Actual Hardware Used" section so you can see what I have already and compare with what I originally planned to use.

Now to do some basic overclocking to see how this CPU performs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 23)
post #235 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Computer Art

Rep: 304 (Unique: 206)
Holy cow that's thorough thumb.gif

post-flame-small.gifTEARS IN RAIN A Blade Runner inspired build (2017)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM WARFARE An Advanced Warfare themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM TITANFALL A Titanfall themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifROBOCOP A Robocop themed 900D build (2013/14)post-flame-small.gif

post #236 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)

Now that’s a test! If only everything else in the world was checked to such rigorous standards…

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
post #237 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taowulf View Post

Now that is some thorough RAM testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswalt1 View Post

Holy cow that's thorough thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post

Now that’s a test! If only everything else in the world was checked to such rigorous standards…

Yes way over-kill on the memory testing. I was really just planning on going to 1500%, but at that point I didn't have time to work on anything else, so I decided to just let it run.

By the time I got back to the test bench it had been running for almost six days since I started the test. At least I know the RAM is good biggrin.gif

post #238 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

The Quick and Dirty 5 GHz Over-Clock

While the test bench is setup I wanted to do some quick over clocking. This i9 7900X CPU is from Silicon Lottery, it is de-lidded and binned at 4.7 GHz which was the top bin available at the time I made my purchase.

They use a triple 360 all in one cooler for their testing. I just have a 280 double here on the test bench. I just wanted to make sure the CPU would at least do what it is binned for.

I left the XMP profile on, set the AVX to -3 and the AVX512 to -5 as Silicon Lottery does. I set the vcore to 1.25v and turned the multiplier to 47. For a quick and dirty over-clock I just run the XTU benchmark and the RealBench benchmark. If it passes both of those I can make changes from there.

It breezed through the 4.7 GHz, and then passed 4.8 GHz with max temps at 66°. The workshop is cool now, somewhere in the low to mid 50s Fahrenheit. After moving up to 4.9 GHz it passed that as well, just one degree up at 67°.

Now I'm feeling pretty good about this CPU! I take it up to 5.0 GHz on all 10 cores, if fails at the 1.25v vcore, I bumped it up to 1.30v and still failed. Then another bump up to 1.32v. Here it passed both XTU and RealBench benchmarks, and a six hour stress test on XTU. It did not make it through a RealBench stress test however, and now the temps got up to 78° C.

That's all I'm going to do at this point with just a 280 AIO for cooling. Once it's under the full custom loop with some tweaking and fine tuning, I have a good chance to be able to run this rig at 5.0 GHz on all 10 cores 24/7 and I'm confident I'll be able to run it at least 4.9 GHz 24/7. I'll bet I'll even be able to at get a GPU-Z validation and screen shot at 5.1 GHz!

After the preliminary testing here I am happy with the CPU, and I would much prefer 10 cores at 5.0 GHz than an 18 core CPU at 4.4 to 4.5 GHz which is the max I've been seeing the i9 7980XE CPUs get on water cooling.

I'll be doing some serious overclocking and fine turning once it's under the full custom loop thumb.gif

post #239 of 517 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 53)
Hows the Motherboard running? I know there's allot of horror stories about it. It's one reason I've been sticking with X99 plus it doesn't have allot of sata ports.

Not sure if you have any experience with 960 Pro's or not. I was wondering how it compared to 900p? I know 900p is faster, Just wondering if you can tell if it's faster or not.

It looks like THW10 now has a pedestal just in case you want to add even more radiators.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon
post #240 of 517 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

How to use Rep+ to your advantage

Happy New Year!

I've been really busy with all of the holidays and family stuff going on, so I haven't got much done on the build lately. I did just get my second flame though, so I thought I'd share a tip on how to use the Rep+ button to your advantage. It's against the rules to ask for Rep, and it seems like it's a taboo subject to even discuss Rep, but since I just got my second flame and it's my build log I think it's ok.

It does make you feel good when someone takes the time to click on the Rep+ button to acknowledge you for something, however even if there was no Rep system here on OCN, I would still be doing this build log and still spending time here and helping out where I can.

It seems to me that Rep should be given out far more than it actually is on OCN, so I make sure to give out way more Rep than I receive. Here's how you can use Rep+ to your advantage. Whenever you see something that you may want to refer back to, or a cool idea that you can use at a later time, a guide, anything like that, make sure you give that person Rep+ on that post. If you are thinking that way then they deserve the Rep+ anyway.

Here's the important part, when you click the Rep+ button and the little dialog box pops up that allows you to leave a note, don't just click the next button leaving the comments blank, make sure to leave a couple of sentences about the post that you want to refer back to. Make your note with something that will remind you of that post and then this becomes a "bookmark" for you to refer back to at a later time.

Whenever you want to refer to your "bookmarks", click on your Avatar on the top right of the OCN page, then click on the "Rep" button in the column on the left side of the page. Now all the Rep you have received is displayed, then click on the tab to the right "your username gave" which now shows all of the Rep you have given out and all the comments are there. You can then scroll down to find the comment reminding you of the post that you want to refer back to, and the link to that post is right next to your comment!

I have used this many times and it comes in very handy especially if your bookmarked post is deep in a large thread. Also at the end of your comments make sure that you leave your OCN username so the person you are Repping knows who gave it to them!

So thanks to all who have given me Rep in the past, and whoever gave me my 100th Rep since I do not know who gave it to me. I've been on OCN almost five years now which means I'm on target to get my third flame sometime in the year 2025 biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in