[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 26 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #251 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
It looks like you are having a ton of fun with this build. Keep up the posts smile.gif.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 02:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hey Barefooter ...
Loving your posts ... and for a relative newbie like me - this is were I'm getting my education - So, thanks!

Quick question on DIMM utilization ...and apologies if I missed it ...

Can you share your thoughts on what you see drives peak memory hits and how deep (GB) you have seen that go ?

Cheers!

Remember - "No matter where you go . . . there you are"
post #253 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 03:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
ah yeah ... and,

in the above ssd comp - was that also SATA vs pci-e ?

Remember - "No matter where you go . . . there you are"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Barefooter,

Wonder if you're interested in the Skylake-X Direct Die Frame by der8auer on overclocking your Intel 7900x CPU?

Might help you get to that stretch goal of 5.1GHz that you're wanting to reach...
post #255 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 116 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post
It looks like you are having a ton of fun with this build. Keep up the posts .
Yes ruffhi having lots of fun with this build!

Quote: Originally Posted by SpikeV View Post
Hey Barefooter ...
Loving your posts ... and for a relative newbie like me - this is were I'm getting my education - So, thanks!

Quick question on DIMM utilization ...and apologies if I missed it ...

Can you share your thoughts on what you see drives peak memory hits and how deep (GB) you have seen that go ?

Cheers!
Glad you are enjoying my posts! As for the ram, I have only ran it through HCI Memtest, so I can't really comment any further than that right now.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpikeV View Post
ah yeah ... and,

in the above ssd comp - was that also SATA vs pci-e ?
Yes the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks are comparing sata SSDs using the AHCI protocol to the Intel Optane 900P which is a PCI-e drive using the NVMe protocol.

Quote: Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Barefooter,

Wonder if you're interested in the Skylake-X Direct Die Frame by der8auer on overclocking your Intel 7900x CPU?

Might help you get to that stretch goal of 5.1GHz that you're wanting to reach...
Thanks for the link, however I'm not a real hardcore benchmark guy, so I am fine with going as far as I can with a stock mount and a good water block. Once this build is done and in my office, it will not be easy to work on, and unlike many people here on OCN, once I'm done with a build I rarely change anything. I just want to use it and blow the dust out of it on occasion.

Site Migration Rant

I don't rant very often, but I feel it's justified here. I was not even aware that Huddler was going away, and the site was going to be migrated to another platform. The site was down for the better part of two days for me, once I could get back on I could hardly believe what I was seeing. I then went to this build log, and all of my over 600 images were all missing! Talk about freaking out. I won't even tell you what was going through my mind at that moment.

What a complete disaster! It's hard to believe that a web site run by computer enthusiasts, for and about computer enthusiasts, would be handled this poorly!

I won't get into all the issues, you can check out the Punch List to see all the issues they are tying to iron out it you haven't seen it already. My biggest gripe left at this point is the way photos or images are placed in a post. Before it was very easy to upload pictures, now there's the stupid little thumb nails. I've seen the work around to post full size images, but it is a total PITA!

Some of the long posts with lots of images that I've done on this build log take a long time to put together. With the current image posting method it will take much longer. I am very unhappy about this

End of Rant

Meanwhile I have made more progress on the build, and I do have more pictures to share with you, however I plan to wait awhile longer to see if they can get the picture upload situation fixed.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #256 of 535 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 678 (Unique: 347)
The easiest way to put pics in a post efficiently is to open a duplicate tab after you have the thumbs already posted, (use the "manage attachments" dialog to add up to 8 or 10 at a time) that way you can open the thumbs in one tab, right click, & " copy shortcut " and then paste it into the edit panel "add image" in the second, (duplicate) tab and the process goes pretty quickly, even for a lot of pics.
post #257 of 535 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post
The easiest way to put pics in a post efficiently is to open a duplicate tab after you have the thumbs already posted, (use the "manage attachments" dialog to add up to 8 or 10 at a time) that way you can open the thumbs in one tab, right click, & " copy shortcut " and then paste it into the edit panel "add image" in the second, (duplicate) tab and the process goes pretty quickly, even for a lot of pics.
Yeah I used the "Manage Attachments" dialog box on another thread a few day ago, but I was using Internet Explorer. I was using the right click menu, and it only has a "view source" option, then copying and pasting the address into the "insert image" box, but it added extra characters at the beginning and end that I had to remove which was a pain.

I switched to Chrome and it has "Copy Image Address" in the right click menu which is much easier to use. The last couple of days the "Manage Attachments" has not worked for me at all in either browser, it shows the pictures are uploading, but then I get a "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing" warning and nothing happens. The drag and drop box is working, so I am using that for now. I still much preferred the old way of uploading pictures, it was really a much easier and better way in my opinion. I sure hope the Devs on this new platform will be able to bring that back!

Also right now there's no way to change the size of the pictures, they are all huge or small thumb nails. So we'll go with huge then

Back Side Tubing Complete

If you remember awhile back when I was working on the tubing I ran out of the EML16 hardline fittings. This order came in while I was playing around with the test bench. I estimated needing 21 more of those, so I ordered 24 more. Also ordered three more 90s, a few more extensions, a temperature sensor, and some sata cables.

There's just one more tube to install on the back side, and it will be the longest tube in the build. Before I do that there's one more tool I did not show you the last time I was working on the tubing. If you like your tubing nice and level and vertical like I do, then a level really helps. You can "eyeball" it pretty good without one, but with a level there's no doubt if it's level or vertically plumb. Here's a link where I bought mine from Swanson Tool Magnetic Torpedo Level

It has 30°, 45°, 90°, and 0° bubbles and magnets along the bottom edge. The magnets won't do you much good with a CaseLabs case though

If you flip the level over, there's a "vee" for putting on corners, which turns out to work really well putting this edge against the tubing. It's much easier to hold the level in place compared with the flat side. It also comes with a thumb screw if you wanted to attach the end to something.

This tube is connecting the bottom radiator to the front radiator on this side. These two radiators do not align because of the case design. The front radiator mounts are centered on each side of the case, while the bottom radiator mounts are offset closer to the center of the case. I'm sure it's due to the location of the mounting holes for the casters, there simply isn't room to center the radiator mounts in the bottom.

Remember back when I mounted the bottom radiators I relocated the mounting holes forward for clearance in the back, but I also shifted them outwards slightly, as much as I could to better align with the front radiators. I used a dual rotary fitting at the front radiator for the offset.

Nice and level.

Uh-oh, this isn't going to work, it's not parallel to the other tubing, the bottom radiator, or the case like this.

To start with I had the dual rotary fitting in the front radiator level, so I rolled that up to get the tube parallel.

The problem I had then was the dual rotary fitting was in the way of mounting the front radiator bottom pull fan. I have left the four inside front radiator pull fans off to make it easier to work on the wiring and tubing. So I added a 15mm extension to the dual rotory, and cut 15mm off the end of the tube. I also had a 25mm extender coming out of the bottom radiator and had to swap it out for a 30mm extender because after rolling the tube up it was not level anymore. This is exactly why I try to keep at least two of each size of extender in my own personal stock.

Now I'm happy with it

Here's some more shots after I moved it out into the sun. The tubing is now completely finished on this side.

That's all for now. The preview looks good, hope this comes out ok after I hit the "submit" button!

Edit: It did not work perfect. I started by putting all 17 pictures in the thumb nails section, then half way through making this post all of the thumb nails just disappeared. I re-pasted the last ten back in and everything looked good on the preview, but the first seven pictures would not show in internet explorer after submitting. Anyway I put them back in I hope the all the pictures show in whatever browser you are using. If not please let me know and I'll try to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0439.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	71169  

Name:	DSC_0441.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	71185  

Name:	DSC_0620.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	71193  

Name:	DSC_0630.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	71201  

Name:	DSC_0621.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	71209  

Name:	DSC_0628.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	71217  

Name:	DSC_0626.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	71225  

Name:	DSC_0624.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	71233  

Name:	DSC_0688.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	71241  

Name:	DSC_0622.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	71249  

Name:	DSC_0414.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	71369  

Name:	DSC_0275.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	71377  

Name:	DSC_0276.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	71385  

Name:	DSC_0433.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	71393  

Name:	DSC_0434.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	71401  

Name:	DSC_0438.jpg
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	71409  

Name:	DSC_0449.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	71417  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 02-03-2018 at 09:42 AM.
post #258 of 535 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
They all look good to me (Chrome). And another Barefooter update that I always look forward to. Good job on getting that level (in more ways than one).

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #259 of 535 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post
They all look good to me (Chrome). And another Barefooter update that I always look forward to. Good job on getting that level (in more ways than one).
Ok here's another update. The "Manage Attachment" feature still is not working for uploading pictures!

Here's the error message I get:
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing. If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

The "Drag and Drop" box is working though, so here we go.

Main Side Tubing & Loop Details

I put the return line on the right side of this reservoir awhile back, and then ran out of fittings. Here is the feed line on the left side of the reservoir to the pass through.

Next is another long tube from the front radiator connecting to the bottom radiator.

As you can see I added a flow indicator into the middle of this run. Once this rig is sitting in it's final resting place in my office, it will sit on the floor to my left side under an "L" shaped desk. This way I can just glance down through the window and see the flow indicator.

Loop Details

Most of the tubing is done now except for the section going in and out of the hardware. I'll detail the loop here just in case you haven't already figured it out.

It is one large loop, with two pumps in series, six radiators, and two reservoirs. The second reservoir on the back side is completely unnecessary, but it will fill out the one somewhat empty space that would have been there without it. Plus I really like the way it looks and I've never seen a set-up like this before, so it's different.

Here's the loop order starting with the reservoir on the main side. The tube on the right side of the reservoir is the return line, the tube on the left going to the pass through is the feed line.

Moving to the back side of the case the second reservoir the feed line on the right connects the two reservoirs.

Then the feed line tube goes to the two pumps, out to the bottom radiator, through the long tube to the front radiator, and then through the case opening to the front radiator on the main side.

Looking at the main side again, on the left is the tube connecting the two front radiators, and through the long tube with the flow indicator into the bottom radiator. From here the rear top port of the bottom radiator will connect to the CPU block, and then into the video cards.

Out of the video cards the tubing will run up to the outer port on the top radiator.

The left top radiator then goes into the right top radiator from the upper inside ports. The extension on the left outer port has an air bleed on the top of it. You can just push down the spring loaded top to bleed air out. The extension with the stop plug on the right outer port will serve as the fill port.

The fill port is right above the extension coming out of the top radiator on the back side here. A nice long straight line for the flow meter, and then the final line tees back into both reservoirs.

There's the loop. It should look much better once there's some nice red coolant flowing through it

Edit: I come back 20 minutes later and all of these pictures and all the thumb nails are just gone! I had to upload them again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0615.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	75217  

Name:	DSC_0659.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	665.9 KB
ID:	75225  

Name:	DSC_0667.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	615.7 KB
ID:	75233  

Name:	DSC_0660.jpg
Size:	644.4 KB
ID:	75241  

Name:	DSC_0691.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	569.1 KB
ID:	75249  

Name:	DSC_0692.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	75257  

Name:	DSC_0693.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	75265  

Name:	DSC_0694.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	714.6 KB
ID:	75273  

Name:	DSC_0695.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	75281  

Name:	DSC_0696.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	607.9 KB
ID:	75289  

Name:	DSC_0697.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	716.0 KB
ID:	75297  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 02-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.
post #260 of 535 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Picking a Pattern for the 24 pin Cable

It's time to start working on the power cables for the motherboard. I have four to make all together, an eight pin power cable, a four pin power cable, a molex power cable, and of course the 24 pin cable.

I'm using three colors of sleeving all MDPC-X. Italian Red, Titanium-Grey, and Black, for simplicity I'll just call them red, grey, and black. Today I'm playing around with different color combinations for the 24 pin cable. I've got 10 different versions below so you can help me decide which pattern to go with.

There's only two criteria, first I want the cable to be mostly red with just a little grey and black. Secondly it has to be a symmetrical pattern, or it would drive me crazy. These all use eight red wires, two grey wires, and two black wires. I'm just putting twelve wires in the connector so we can look at the color patterns.

Pattern #1

The first one has four red cables on the outside with the grey and black in the center.

Pattern #2
This is the same except with the grey and black reversed.

Pattern #3
Three red wires on the outside with two red wires down the center.

Pattern #4
This is the same as the previous one except for reversing the grey and black again. I really like this one!

Pattern #5
Two red wires on the outsides now.

Pattern #6
Again two red wires on the outside with four running in the middle. This is probably my favorite one!

Pattern #7
Switched the grey and black from the previous one.

Pattern #8
The next three are variations with one red wire on the outsides.

Pattern #9

Pattern #10

Finally here's a look with it plugged into the motherboard. That is my favorite pattern so far Pattern #6, but I haven't made my mind up yet. So make a quick post below and let me know which Pattern # that you would go with.

I'm going to wait a week or so before I decide. Meanwhile I'll start on the eight and four pin motherboard power cables.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 Red outside 2.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	6.48 MB
ID:	81329  

Name:	4 Red outside 1.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	7.18 MB
ID:	81337  

Name:	3 Red outside 2.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	7.05 MB
ID:	81345  

Name:	3 Red outside 1.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	6.34 MB
ID:	81353  

Name:	2 Red outside 3.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	7.28 MB
ID:	81361  

Name:	2 Red outside 2.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	7.12 MB
ID:	81369  

Name:	2 Red outside 1.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	7.15 MB
ID:	81377  

Name:	1 Red outside 3.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	7.25 MB
ID:	81385  

Name:	1 Red outside 2.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	7.11 MB
ID:	81393  

Name:	1 Red outside 1.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	7.30 MB
ID:	81401  

Name:	DSC_0865.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	7.23 MB
ID:	81409  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in