[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #21 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Subbed! Top notch hardware thumb.gif

Intel i7-8700K @HK4 - EVGA Z370 FTW - EVGA 1080SC @HK4 - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX100 512GB - be quiet SP11 750W - TJ07 - Radical 480 + MoRa 360
Official SilverStone TJ07 Owners Club | [Official] Silverstone FT03 Owners Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
drool.gif

I admit it I am jealous. wink.gif Will that resivour fit on a duel EK D5 pump top?

As an aside I am up to post 745 of 9,387 on the Aquero thread you recommended. A rather long winded way of saying thanks for the idea and I am reading everything and googling when I get stuck. Thank you and + Rep.

Cheers,

Mad Monk
post #23 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 117 (Unique: 98)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trestles126 View Post

Love me some aquacomputer goodies
Yes! Aquacomputer definitely makes great "goodies" thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizztly View Post

Subbed! Top notch hardware thumb.gif
Welcome to the build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monk View Post

drool.gif

I admit it I am jealous. wink.gif Will that resivour fit on a duel EK D5 pump top?

As an aside I am up to post 745 of 9,387 on the Aquero thread you recommended. A rather long winded way of saying thanks for the idea and I am reading everything and googling when I get stuck. Thank you and + Rep.

Cheers,

Mad Monk
Aquacomputer makes a reservoir with a pump top built in. My pumps will be separate, so I went with these.

Oh man... I did not mean for you to read then entire Aquaero thread. Just subscribe and follow from this point forward is what I was thinking. Anyway I'm sure you're learning by reading all the posts. Thanks for the rep thumb.gif

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

MAX OVER KILL RADIATOR CLEANING & FLUSHING GUIDE

Here I will show you how to "Max Over Kill" clean and flush your radiators. This is way over kill for most people. Before putting radiators in your new rig you should at the very least fill them with distilled water, shake it up a bit, dump it out, rinse and repeat at least three times. For many people this is all you need to do.

I plan to run a red colored coolant which are known to discolor if your radiators are not clean enough. I'll be using Mayhems Blitz part 1 and part 2. This is basically using Mayhems instructions with my own twist to it. In other words a few more steps. I have the time now, and want to be sure my radiators are as clean as possible.

Here's the Mayhems Blitz kit. I've used this product before and been very happy with the results.

The first step is to flush the radiators with hot water from the faucet. I used the utility sink in my garage.
I have an adapter hooked to the faucet with a "Y" so that I can flush two radiators at a time.
Just crack the faucet enough to get good water flow, run the hot water for 30 minutes on all radiators.
This will get the bulk of any residual flux, and the big chunks out.

WARNING: Do NOT turn the water on full blast or you could damage your radiators!

Now fill the radiators with Blitz part 1. I used three bottles and had to dilute it just slightly more than the directions to fill all six rads.
Notice I have the port ends raised to help purge the air out completely. Also that funnel screws into a G1/4 port, and works great to pour the Blitz in with. Put the plugs in and let sit for 12 hours. You can shake them several times if you'd like to. I set this up in the evening and let them sit over night.

Now the next morning, back to the sink and dump the Blitz part 1 down the drain. Hook the radiators back up to the faucet and rinse for five minutes with hot water to get all the Blitz part 1 out. Here's a shot of the two 280s.

Here's my cheapo flush machine that I put together on my last build. It's just a water filter purchased at Home Depot and a pond/fountain pump.

I tried running all six radiators together, but the pump was not strong enough, so I did three radiators at a time. Mix up the Blitz part 2 and pour into the bucket, and just let the Blitz part 2 run thought the radiators and filter. I did six hours per three radiators, you could go up to 12 hours no problem if you wanted to.

The second batch of three rads.

Now take the radiators back to the sink, dump out the Blitz part 2 and flush another five minutes of hot water to get all the residual Blitz part 2 out.

Finally the last step is to fill the radiators with distilled water, shake and empty out. Three total runs of fill with distilled water, shake and empty.

Here you go... you can't tell from the outside, but these radiators are as clean as they can be on the inside, and my coolant should stay beautiful thumb.gif

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #25 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
subbed~!
post #26 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Also subbed.

I'm doing a similar build in a TH10A. Reverse layout. Heatkiller IV GPU block. Four 120mm based SR-2 rads instead of your six 140mm ones.

One area I'm still trying to work out is a drain solution. Given your rad layouts are similar to mine (minus the front ones), it would be handy to know what your thoughts are on the drain for your rig.
post #27 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
Out of curiosity, is there any practical reason behind needing all that cooling power? It seems a massive amount of radiator area for the proposed hardware. Have you got something specific in mind for this build, or did you just opt for the classic ‘because I can!’ principle? (Of which I have absolutely no personal experience whatsoever, as you well know…)

Regardless having those six SR2s all lined up and ready looks very impressive – deeply envious.

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
post #28 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckool View Post

subbed~!
Welcome to the build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post

Also subbed.

I'm doing a similar build in a TH10A. Reverse layout. Heatkiller IV GPU block. Four 120mm based SR-2 rads instead of your six 140mm ones.

One area I'm still trying to work out is a drain solution. Given your rad layouts are similar to mine (minus the front ones), it would be handy to know what your thoughts are on the drain for your rig.
Glad to have you sub. I have a really slick drain solution that I'll be covering in the next week or so. I will need a slight mod to make it work on my 560s, but it should work without any modifications on your 480s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post

Out of curiosity, is there any practical reason behind needing all that cooling power? It seems a massive amount of radiator area for the proposed hardware. Have you got something specific in mind for this build, or did you just opt for the classic ‘because I can!’ principle? (Of which I have absolutely no personal experience whatsoever, as you well know…)

Regardless having those six SR2s all lined up and ready looks very impressive – deeply envious.

No, there is no practical reason for six radiators. I certainly could have just dropped a pair of 480s in the top and that would be plenty of cooling power.

But "because I can" biggrin.gif, and because my theme is "Max Rads - Max Fans", I'm putting as much radiator as I can into this case. Plus I want the lowest water/ambient delta as possible all while running the fans at very low RPMs.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #29 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 AM
I don't even like Linux

Rep: 96 (Unique: 73)
That's quite a build! thumb.gif

I built something similar (on a smaller scale) 2 years ago - TH10A, four 480 mm rads, quad-GPU.

Those radiator shots make me drool all over my keyboard and want me rebuild something. tongue.gif

post #30 of 538 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post

My plan in my TH10A is to have two 480's and two 240's all for a single loop full cover MB/CPU block plus one GPU. My thinking is that I hope to end up with a nearly silent rig. With a huge amount of rad space, I should only have to waft air through the rads at fairly low fan speeds. So even overclocked and under load I hope to have little or no noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Glad to have you sub. I have a really slick drain solution that I'll be covering in the next week or so. I will need a slight mod to make it work on my 560s, but it should work without any modifications on your 480s.

You tease you. I can't wait.

No. Seriously, I can't wait. Tell me now. tongue.gif

LOL Just kidding. A week isn't too long to wait.

I have one idea for a drain at the lowest part of the loop coming out of the bottom radiator. But space is tight down there and I don't know if I can make it work. I shall be interested to hear any other ideas, especially from people with TH10 and THW10 cases who must have solved this problem already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in