[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 31 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #301 of 538 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:40 AM
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
That was a great read. I especially liked your use of the aluminum angle mounted with the fan screws and the need to clear those extra screw heads and how you solved for that. You're also obviously a master heat shrinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 117 (Unique: 98)
Quote: Originally Posted by Master Chicken View Post
That was a great read. I especially liked your use of the aluminum angle mounted with the fan screws and the need to clear those extra screw heads and how you solved for that. You're also obviously a master heat shrinker.
Thanks Master Chicken! I always wondered how you came up with that handle

Late last week I saw this on Tom's Hardware Alphacool Releases Full Cover Water Block for Intel Optane SSD 900P

Ever since EK released their water block for the Intel 750 SSD, I thought how cool would that be to have a water cooled PCI-e SSD

I talked about that back when I first got the 900P SSD for this build. At this point, I had pretty much given up on anybody making water block for it.

Here's a picture of it from Alphacool. Unlike the EK block for the 750 SSD... this one is acrylic

Click image for larger version

Name:	900P WATER BLOCK.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	172705

Here's a link to Alphcool's product page.

I have been in contact with EK, Watercool, and Aquacomputer, none of these companies plan to make a block for the 900P SSD.

So it's either use the Alphacool block or stick with the stock heat sink. It's actually a really nice looking block... I think I'll just have to pick one of these up.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #303 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 PM
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
Master Chicken, as seen in my avatar, is from Kung Fu Panda 3. His part was short but awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Barefoot ... I need some advice. Am I right in thinking that you are using MDPC-X sleeving? If I have this wrong, then my specific MDPC-X questions below are probably mis-placed .

I have just finished my basement and my 75" TV is mounted on the wall. I have picked up some polk speakers for a 5.1 surround sound experience and I am at the state of sleeving my speaker wires (everyone does this ... right?).

I was originally going to use paracord ... but the 550 I picked up is way too small at 4mm. 650 is 6mm and BattleCord (who knew that was a thing?) is 6mm. My speaker cable is 7mm side to side and 3.5 top to bottom (link).

So ... that brings me to PC cable sleeving. I have never really liked SATA sleeving so I was looking at round sleeving.

MDPC FP Sleeve covers a diameter range from ~4.0 mm to ~13.0 mm (link) while their SATA sleeving covers a diameter range from ~5.0mm to ~14.5mm (link).

The downside of the special diameter sleeving is that is extremely color restricted (black, white, sand). That isn't a huge deal as I was planning on going with the deep blue anyway.

Questions ...
1) your thoughts on sleeving speaker cables?
2) paracord (or similar) v MDPC-X?
3) special diameter v SATA?

Thanks,

Ruff

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #305 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Case ***der

Rep: 452 (Unique: 305)
What kind of speaker wire? Be aware that sleeving is going to make the wire extremely stiff. Unless you install the sleeving loosely on the wire, the bend radius will be pretty bad.
post #306 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 04:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Just some stuff from Amazon ... High Performance 16 Gauge Speaker Wire, Oxygen Free Pure Copper - UL Listed Class 2 (100 Feet Spool)

The longest runs are 9 feet from the receiver to the front left / right speakers. I was planning on something on the loose side ... just going for looks, no need to train them .

Thanks for the comment.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #307 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hey Barefooter . . . thanks for these updates - great stuff . . . have had to do some catching up recently - otherwise been engaged in similar activities !!!

Your recent challenges ring all too familiar - so - very interesting to walk through your solutions with you !

Quick note on gettin those LEDs to stick . . . in addition to your double-sided tape solution, I have had some success with using a small bead of clear silicone applied along the edge of the strip (after using the original tape to hold it in place) . . . for the 'pro' finish ... spray some window cleaner on your finger, then smooth out the bead . . . been working quite well - even stickin' to the acrylic case !

Cheers

Remember - "No matter where you go . . . there you are"
post #308 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by Master Chicken View Post
Master Chicken, as seen in my avatar, is from Kung Fu Panda 3. His part was short but awesome.
Ok I've never seen the movie... although now I'm a little curious.

Quote: Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post
Barefoot ... I need some advice. Am I right in thinking that you are using MDPC-X sleeving? If I have this wrong, then my specific MDPC-X questions below are probably mis-placed .

I have just finished my basement and my 75" TV is mounted on the wall. I have picked up some polk speakers for a 5.1 surround sound experience and I am at the state of sleeving my speaker wires (everyone does this ... right?).

I was originally going to use paracord ... but the 550 I picked up is way too small at 4mm. 650 is 6mm and BattleCord (who knew that was a thing?) is 6mm. My speaker cable is 7mm side to side and 3.5 top to bottom (link).

So ... that brings me to PC cable sleeving. I have never really liked SATA sleeving so I was looking at round sleeving.

MDPC FP Sleeve covers a diameter range from ~4.0 mm to ~13.0 mm (link) while their SATA sleeving covers a diameter range from ~5.0mm to ~14.5mm (link).

The downside of the special diameter sleeving is that is extremely color restricted (black, white, sand). That isn't a huge deal as I was planning on going with the deep blue anyway.

Questions ...
1) your thoughts on sleeving speaker cables?
2) paracord (or similar) v MDPC-X?
3) special diameter v SATA?

Thanks,

Ruff

Quote: Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
What kind of speaker wire? Be aware that sleeving is going to make the wire extremely stiff. Unless you install the sleeving loosely on the wire, the bend radius will be pretty bad.

Quote: Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post
Just some stuff from Amazon ... High Performance 16 Gauge Speaker Wire, Oxygen Free Pure Copper - UL Listed Class 2 (100 Feet Spool)

The longest runs are 9 feet from the receiver to the front left / right speakers. I was planning on something on the loose side ... just going for looks, no need to train them .

Thanks for the comment.

Hey Ruff, to answer your questions:
1. I've never sleeved speaker wire before, but if it shows why not. As long as you don't need a tight bend radius as lowfat mentioned.

2. I've never used paracord either. I really don't care for how it looks, so I've always used MDPC-X. There is sure a wide range of colors in paracord, so if you find a color you like go for it.

3. I found a roll of speaker wire on hand that measures 6.25mm x 2.9mm, very close to what you have. Here's a quick sample for you to look at. The top one is regular size MDPC-X sleeve, it goes on fine but does slightly show the speaker wire though the sleeving material. The second one is the FP sleeving this probably fits the best as long as you can go with a color that's available. Also I was able to use regular heat shrink on the FB sleeve after a little stretch with needle nose pliers. The final one is sata sleeve and heat shrink, it does work but is loose on the wire. I think the FB is the best fit, and the regular sleeve will work fine if you need a different color.

Name:	DSC_1525-2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	177513

Quote: Originally Posted by SpikeV View Post
Hey Barefooter . . . thanks for these updates - great stuff . . . have had to do some catching up recently - otherwise been engaged in similar activities !!!

Your recent challenges ring all too familiar - so - very interesting to walk through your solutions with you !

Quick note on gettin those LEDs to stick . . . in addition to your double-sided tape solution, I have had some success with using a small bead of clear silicone applied along the edge of the strip (after using the original tape to hold it in place) . . . for the 'pro' finish ... spray some window cleaner on your finger, then smooth out the bead . . . been working quite well - even stickin' to the acrylic case !

Cheers
Thanks for the tip SpikeV! The only thing about using silicon is that it's much harder to remove compared with double back tape if ever needed.

Edit: I just realized this was my 2,000th post

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 05-06-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #309 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Sound Insulating the Solid Flex Bay Covers

Here’s something you won’t see too often… sound insulating the outer panels. It’s all about water cooling, radiators, and quiet fans right.

Is sound insulating really going to make a big difference? Probably not.

Is sound insulating going to hurt anygthing? Absolutely not!

Additionally I wanted to keep the red powder coating on the outside, and currently from the inside the only red part that shows is the inside of the flex bays. Plus I think this will actually help with sound deadening, at least a little bit.

I purchased this AcoustiPack Ultimate PC Soundproofing Kit

It is a three layered sound insulation material designed for PCs, and electronic equipment. It is also RoHS compliant, which basically means it’s safe to use in this environment.

It comes in a flat box not rolled up. The white backing comes off, and the adhesive underneath sticks it where you want it to go. Here you can see I used a pen to lay out the first piece to fit inside of a double flex bay cover.

I just used scissors to cut the piece out.

The directions say you can peel it back up and reposition it if necessary, but that each time it will hold less effectively. I did reposition one piece with no problem.

I also did the singe flex bay cover with the USB type C cable.

In total three double flex bay covers and the one single flex bay cover all ready to put back in.

Here’s the single flex bay cover with USB port back installed.

This is the lower one on the same side. Notice the sound insulation material is grey? It matches the interior nicely

The double flex bay on the upper back side here extends down behind the top stealth mount Aquaero LT. You can see the newly installed light bar there too.

Finally the lower double flex bay on the back side.

The sound insulation material was actually easier to work with than I expected. The material used here is 7mm thick, and the one thing I was thinking while doing this, is that I wished it was a little thicker. See how there is still a gap between the case frame and the insulation.

After looking at the Quiet PC web site again, I see that I actually purchased the wrong kit for my needs. What I purchased came with one 7mm thick triple layer sound insulation, and two 4mm dual layer sound insulation sheets. Well I’m not even going to use the 4mm sheets.

Now I see they actually have single sheets in 12mm thickness which I think will work better.

I like this material so much that I am going to buy more so that I can do the inside of the side doors as well. I’ll probably peel off what I’ve done here, and replace it with the 12mm material once it arrives.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1329-2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	177529  

Name:	DSC_1331.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	5.83 MB
ID:	177537  

Name:	DSC_1332.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	7.37 MB
ID:	177545  

Name:	DSC_1333.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	6.46 MB
ID:	177553  

Name:	DSC_1339.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	6.65 MB
ID:	177561  

Name:	DSC_1335.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	5.58 MB
ID:	177569  

Name:	DSC_1349-2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	177577  

Name:	DSC_1352.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	6.77 MB
ID:	177585  

Name:	DSC_1354.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	7.18 MB
ID:	177593  

Name:	DSC_1357.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	6.57 MB
ID:	177601  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #310 of 538 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 02:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
Ok I've never seen the movie... although now I'm a little curious.

Hey Ruff, to answer your questions:
1. I've never sleeved speaker wire before, but if it shows why not. As long as you don't need a tight bend radius as lowfat mentioned.

2. I've never used paracord either. I really don't care for how it looks, so I've always used MDPC-X. There is sure a wide range of colors in paracord, so if you find a color you like go for it.

3. I found a roll of speaker wire on hand that measures 6.25mm x 2.9mm, very close to what you have. Here's a quick sample for you to look at. The top one is regular size MDPC-X sleeve, it goes on fine but does slightly show the speaker wire though the sleeving material. The second one is the FP sleeving this probably fits the best as long as you can go with a color that's available. Also I was able to use regular heat shrink on the FB sleeve after a little stretch with needle nose pliers. The final one is sata sleeve and heat shrink, it does work but is loose on the wire. I think the FB is the best fit, and the regular sleeve will work fine if you need a different color.
Fantastic. Thanks for the demo. I am going to order me some FP black with SATA heat shrink. That (the heat shrink) should tighten up enough ... and I don't want it too tight / too restrictive.

Thanks a bunch for the samples. If only we had a +REP button!!

I put similar sound proofing on the inside (where else?) of my S5 sides (below the windows). I like what you did with the inside of the flex-bays.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in