[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #31 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

No, there is no practical reason for six radiators. I certainly could have just dropped a pair of 480s in the top and that would be plenty of cooling power.

But "because I can" biggrin.gif, and because my theme is "Max Rads - Max Fans", I'm putting as much radiator as I can into this case. Plus I want the lowest water/ambient delta as possible all while running the fans at very low RPMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post

My plan in my TH10A is to have two 480's and two 240's all for a single loop full cover MB/CPU block plus one GPU. My thinking is that I hope to end up with a nearly silent rig. With a huge amount of rad space, I should only have to waft air through the rads at fairly low fan speeds. So even overclocked and under load I hope to have little or no noise.

The 'Max Rads' theme certainly gets my endorsement - it’ll look amazing if nothing else - and to judge by recent experience with my own modest little beast (i.e. half as many radiators, all half as thick, and in the equivalent 120mm fan sizes) I'd say this thing isn’t ever going to break a sweat, no matter how silent you want to run it!

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 114 (Unique: 96)
Here's the fan order... 45 lbs. shipping weight.
I'll be stuffing as many of these fans into the build as I can!

Next up is radiator fitting.

post #33 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 35)
Subscribed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Hey since you're throwing money away I was wondering if I could have some lol!

post #35 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksux View Post

Hey since you're throwing money away I was wondering if I could have some lol!

It's never throwing money away building in a Case Labs case, although my wallet would disagree with my recent build.

Subbed, nice tutorial.

"The computer is incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid. Man is incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant. The marriage of the two is a force beyond calculation."
post #36 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0451 View Post

Subscribed
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumppjr96 View Post

Subbed, nice tutorial.
Thanks! Glad to have you subscribe.

I just made Post #2 a Build Log Index with Links.

Not a lot of links yet, but I'm going to try to keep that updated as the build moves forward.

post #37 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Radiator Selection Criteria

This case is very big and will be very heavy. I'm designing it so that I can easily fill, drain, and purge the air out of the system hopefully with just minor tilting of the case. Since I wanted radiators in the bottom of the case, and bottom radiators can be a challenge to drain, the first criteria was that "multi-port" was a must have for me.

Secondly, I wanted to use 140mm fans, this immediately narrowed the field of radiators to just two brands Alpacool and Hardware Labs. If EK made a multi-port radiator in the 560 and 280 size, I certainly would have considered them as well, maybe @Akira749 can pass that along to the EK team.

I made actual size card board cut outs of the Alphacool UT60 and the Hardware Labs SR2 in both the 560s and 280s to see how they would fit in the case. Remember the plan is two 560s in the top, two 560s in the bottom, and two 280s in front. Both of these radiators are 60mm thick which I think is the perfect thickness for this case.

The Alphacool radiators are longer and narrower than the Hardware Labs radiators.

Alphacool UT60 560 is 607mm long vs. 592mm for the Hardware Labs SR2

Alphacool UT60 280 is 324mm long vs. 312mm for the Hardware Labs SR2

Decision made! The Alphcool radiators are too long, the front 280s simply will not fit. The Hardware Labs SR2 Multi-port radiators are the only ones that will fit in the configuration I want.

Hardware Labs SR2 Multi-Port Radiator Pros and Cons

For an awesome review of this radiator you can visit ThermalBench here's a link to the review

My thoughts on these radiators: first they are packaged well, except they could really use some plastic protecting the sides, or a thin piece of foam on each side of the radiator because you could tell the radiators slide back and forth during shipping. The side of the radiators had the paint worn down to the point you could see through the paint to the metal.

On three of the 560s only one side was worn through, so since they are multi-port, you could position the worn side to the back of the case and it would not show, but one of the 560s the paint was worn down on both sides. Plus the paint is a flat black, and it appears to be very thinly applied. I was not planning on painting these radiators, but will have to now. I'll probably go with a semi-gloss black.

Now that the radiators are out of the box... they are very well made! They are heavy, all the fins are nice with no bent fins on any of the radiators. They also have screw shields to prevent you from putting too long of a screw in and damaging the core.

Speaking of screws, they come with 28mm screws which are too short if you are going through a fan and a mount. So a good chance you will have to buy more screws.

Lastly this radiator is far more expensive than the Alphacool UT60. I probably would have bought the Alphacool radiators if they would have fit. Also the stop plugs are made out of delrin, and in my opinion they look and feel cheap and cheezy! I'll be replacing them with some quality stop plugs, which will add even more cost. For the price you pay for this radiator, it should come with better quality stop plugs.

So again, I feel the Hardware Labs SR2 radiators are high quality, high performing and would recommend them providing:
You don't mind paying top dollar.
You don't mind possibly having to purchase new screws.
You don't mind living with the thin paint, or painting them yourself.
You like the stop plugs that come with it, or don't minid purchasing new ones.

Enough about these radiators. Next up mounting the bottom radiators.

post #38 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 35)
I had to respray my Hardware Labs and EK radiators, but my Aplhacool radiators had a nice durable coat of paint.

post #39 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Fitting and Mounting the bottom 560mm Hardware Labs SR2 Radiators

Time to mount the lower radiators. The goal here is to have a drain from the bottom of each lower radiator. In order to do that, I'll need to relocate the radiators further towards the front of the case. Here you can see the radiator mount sitting in the stock factory location.

I'm going to move this mount forward up against the caster screw holes in the bottom of the case. This will give me just enough clearance.

The first thing I’m going to have to do is to mod the drop-in radiator mounts. The multi-port plugs on the bottom are blocked on one end by the drop-in mount. I need access to those ports for my drain set up, the radiators would not sit flat even if I just had stop plugs in.

Design Change Request to CaseLabs: The 560 drop-in mount opening is not even as wide as the bottom opening of the case, and there is plenty of room to make the mount longer. My suggestion is to either just make the mount longer as it is, or longer with a couple inches of solid metal on each end, and people could cut holes in it if needed. @JasonCL could you pass this on for me please. I know that CaseLabs modified the front radiator mounts at one point for this same issue.

So I’m just going to cut a section of the end off. I would prefer to have the frame of the mount go all the way around, but with 16 screws holding the mount to the radiator, I think it will be plenty strong enough. I tried this on just one before cutting the rest, seems good to me.

Here's the mounts all cut, and the first one mounted.

Now to drill new holes the bottom of the case. I'm moving the radiators forward, but also outward just a bit. The openings in the bottom of the case are closer to the center of the case because of the caster mounts. The radiator mounts for the front of the case are centered on each side of the case. So by shifting the lower radiators outward slightly will allow them to align better with the front radiators, and also give me a little more room for lighting and fan wiring harnesses behind the lower radiators. There isn't much room back there. I took the casters off and taped up the bottom.

You can see I used the outer edge of the slots as my center line to move the holes outward. Then using a snap center punch to give me a place to start the drill with. Remember safety glasses, and use a small drill first before moving to a larger size.

I put an extension in there to check the clearance, now I can drill the other side.

All the holes drilled out.

The Drain Set-up
I'm going to use a dual rotary on each radiator with a male quick disconnect fitting. The quick disconnects are coming in my next order, so I just put a couple of extensions in there so you can see approximately the size they will be. Then I'll have two hoses with female disconnects that I can just snap on there to drain the system. Pretty simple really, but I think it will work well.

I've use the Bitspower Mini-Valves before, they look nice, but the handles always break. Seems like they could charge a few more dollars and give you a metal handle. I broke one once, and bought another one to replace it, took it out of the bag, careful to make sure and turn it the correct way... bam handle breaks before I can even use it. Besides I really think the quick disconnects will be easier than reaching down under the case to open a valve.

I would love put some cool custom feet on this case, but remember this computer will eventually end up under my desk. My current computer weighs less than half what this one will end up weighing and it is a real pain to move around, therefore casters are a requirement for me. By the way I wanted to thank @wermad for doing the research on these casters. He posted these on the Case Labs Owners Club awhile back.

I was planning on going push/pull on the lower radiators, but as you can see here that is not going to work with these casters. The only way to have pull fans on the bottom is to put the fans between the mount and the radiator, or use stand-offs under the mount, either way would have interfered with the front radiator mounting, so I decided to scrape the pull fans beneath the lower radiators and just have push fans on top.

The lower radiators mounted with fans.

Next up is mounting the top radiators.

post #40 of 523 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:44 PM
I don't even like Linux

Rep: 96 (Unique: 73)
This:

totally looks like this:

Subbed and eagerly waiting for updates. thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in