[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 49 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Chief Over-Engineer
 
OCDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: England
Posts: 600
Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
The Devastator has been on the cart there since the beginning. That cart was for sure a must have this build. I've turned it around hundreds of times, and even rolled it out into the back yard for pictures from time to time. @iamjanco is using one of these carts now too.

The 750D case I carried down stairs from my office. It's heavy but I can still carry it up and down the stairs. Not a chance I can move the Devastator by myself. A two man job for sure!

I’m speechless. Looking back through the pictures – all this time, how on earth have I not noticed that?

You seriously did this entire build with that huge case - on casters and full of heavy, expensive, painstakingly assembled gear - perched on top of a working height movable cart that is only a little wider than it is? And then just casually wheeled the whole thing around, outside, for photos? I recall the odd set of outdoor pics but assumed that you’d bubble wrapped and boxed it. You’re a lot braver than I am - with Beast that far off the ground I’d have had a heart attack going anywhere near! That was assembled and photographed entirely in this room – it, and me, sitting firmly on the floor (indeed lying on the floor a lot of the time) – and it damn well stayed there! I’ve never moved it further than the adjacent room, with kid gloves and a nervous expression every time…


Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.


The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
OCDesign is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM
In lurking mode
 
iamjanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vacationing on Magrathea
Posts: 1,849
Rep: 78 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
I’m speechless. Looking back through the pictures – all this time, how on earth have I not noticed that?

You seriously did this entire build with that huge case - on casters and full of heavy, expensive, painstakingly assembled gear - perched on top of a working height movable cart that is only a little wider than it is? And then just casually wheeled the whole thing around, outside, for photos? I recall the odd set of outdoor pics but assumed that you’d bubble wrapped and boxed it. You’re a lot braver than I am - with Beast that far off the ground I’d have had a heart attack going anywhere near! That was assembled and photographed entirely in this room – it, and me, sitting firmly on the floor (indeed lying on the floor a lot of the time) – and it damn well stayed there! I’ve never moved it further than the adjacent room, with kid gloves and a nervous expression every time…
Having used the cart myself for a few days now I have to admit it's a godsend. I don't have a lot of room where I'm currently at, and have been wheeling it around (and turning it in every direction) effortlessly, with what amounts to at least 100lbs of weight on it. It really is rock stable.

Just make sure if you decide to get one that you've also got a rubber mallet on hand. While the cart pretty much came assembled and was shipped in a huge box, you'll definitely need that mallet when installing the casters. The only other assembly required was attaching the outlet strip to it (the cabling is heavy gauge, the strip itself somewhat cheap), and positioning the upper section of the cart onto the lower section to set the height of the cart, then bolting those two sections together.

Given what's available today for the same amount of money, it gets a 4.5 (out of 5) from me. Took a half a star off for one cracked plastic bushing used to seat the casters, but I was able to work around that. Packaging could have been better too; but it was what it was.

@Barefooter ...and thanks for the plugs, BF!


iamjanco is online now  
post #483 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
emsj86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 3,272
Rep: 83 (Unique: 65)
Loving how the build is turning out. I think I went thru 6 different re builds in the time this has been going together. Its nice to see the detail and patience you are having to make this great

emsj86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Chief Over-Engineer
 
OCDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: England
Posts: 600
Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
Having used the cart myself for a few days now I have to admit it's a godsend. I don't have a lot of room where I'm currently at, and have been wheeling it around (and turning it in every direction) effortlessly, with what amounts to at least 100lbs of weight on it. It really is rock stable.

Just make sure if you decide to get one that you've also got a rubber mallet on hand. While the cart pretty much came assembled and was shipped in a huge box, you'll definitely need that mallet when installing the casters. The only other assembly required was attaching the outlet strip to it (the cabling is heavy gauge, the strip itself somewhat cheap), and positioning the upper section of the cart onto the lower section to set the height of the cart, then bolting those two sections together.

Given what's available today for the same amount of money, it gets a 4.5 (out of 5) from me. Took a half a star off for one cracked plastic bushing used to seat the casters, but I was able to work around that. Packaging could have been better too; but it was what it was.

@Barefooter ...and thanks for the plugs, BF!

Glad it’s less precarious than it looks! How are the casters on it? In my experience good quality stuff is so often badly let down by being fitted with cheap plastic casters, which seem fine…right up to the moment they don’t. And with the centre of gravity so high up it only takes one to send a lot of money very quickly to the ground.


For myself having the machine up on a cart is probably of limited advantage. Doubtless it would be more convenient to work on at that height, but the Ironbeast rig was always intended to go on the floor and the new build will almost certainly do likewise (fitting into a sort of ‘docking bay’ in the side of my new desk, whenever I actually finish making it). The custom roller-base on the smooth wood in here lets me easily slide it around with a finger in much the same way as the cart, and an awkward staircase means in practice it’s never really going anywhere else but here. The rather uncomfortable sprawling on the floor to deal with lower pipework and PSU cables may be undignified, but I can live with that.


Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.


The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
OCDesign is offline  
post #485 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 PM
In lurking mode
 
iamjanco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vacationing on Magrathea
Posts: 1,849
Rep: 78 (Unique: 50)
Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
Glad it’s less precarious than it looks! How are the casters on it? In my experience good quality stuff is so often badly let down by being fitted with cheap plastic casters, which seem fine…right up to the moment they don’t. And with the centre of gravity so high up it only takes one to send a lot of money very quickly to the ground.

For myself having the machine up on a cart is probably of limited advantage. Doubtless it would be more convenient to work on at that height, but the Ironbeast rig was always intended to go on the floor and the new build will almost certainly do likewise (fitting into a sort of ‘docking bay’ in the side of my new desk, whenever I actually finish making it). The custom roller-base on the smooth wood in here lets me easily slide it around with a finger in much the same way as the cart, and an awkward staircase means in practice it’s never really going anywhere else but here. The rather uncomfortable sprawling on the floor to deal with lower pipework and PSU cables may be undignified, but I can live with that.
^oops, missed this one the other day (been a few hectic couple of days).

I wouldn't necessary call the casters impervious to damage, but I think they'll hold up well given my use case. Looking at them from where I sit now I'd say they're about 3" tall, and maybe 0.75" wide, made of hard material. As I mentioned earlier on though, the weakest part of the product are the plastic bushings that are inserted into the frame, one of which arrived with the topmost rim where it seats against the frame broken off (found it in the box, believe it or not). I chalk that one up to handling during shipping, but I wouldn't necessarily blame FedEx who dropped it off at my door. It ships in such a large and flimsy, thin cardboard box that it could have happened anywhere along the way from the factory.

Again, the frame itself is definitely sturdy once assembled. Not sure I'd go soap box derby racing down a steep hill riding it, but I I'm pretty sure it hold up otherwise.


iamjanco is online now  
post #486 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker
 
Barefooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,283
Rep: 104 (Unique: 88)
Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
I’m speechless. Looking back through the pictures – all this time, how on earth have I not noticed that?

You seriously did this entire build with that huge case - on casters and full of heavy, expensive, painstakingly assembled gear - perched on top of a working height movable cart that is only a little wider than it is? And then just casually wheeled the whole thing around, outside, for photos? I recall the odd set of outdoor pics but assumed that you’d bubble wrapped and boxed it. You’re a lot braver than I am - with Beast that far off the ground I’d have had a heart attack going anywhere near! That was assembled and photographed entirely in this room – it, and me, sitting firmly on the floor (indeed lying on the floor a lot of the time) – and it damn well stayed there! I’ve never moved it further than the adjacent room, with kid gloves and a nervous expression every time…

Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
Having used the cart myself for a few days now I have to admit it's a godsend. I don't have a lot of room where I'm currently at, and have been wheeling it around (and turning it in every direction) effortlessly, with what amounts to at least 100lbs of weight on it. It really is rock stable.

Just make sure if you decide to get one that you've also got a rubber mallet on hand. While the cart pretty much came assembled and was shipped in a huge box, you'll definitely need that mallet when installing the casters. The only other assembly required was attaching the outlet strip to it (the cabling is heavy gauge, the strip itself somewhat cheap), and positioning the upper section of the cart onto the lower section to set the height of the cart, then bolting those two sections together.

Given what's available today for the same amount of money, it gets a 4.5 (out of 5) from me. Took a half a star off for one cracked plastic bushing used to seat the casters, but I was able to work around that. Packaging could have been better too; but it was what it was.

@Barefooter ...and thanks for the plugs, BF!

Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
Glad it’s less precarious than it looks! How are the casters on it? In my experience good quality stuff is so often badly let down by being fitted with cheap plastic casters, which seem fine…right up to the moment they don’t. And with the centre of gravity so high up it only takes one to send a lot of money very quickly to the ground.


For myself having the machine up on a cart is probably of limited advantage. Doubtless it would be more convenient to work on at that height, but the Ironbeast rig was always intended to go on the floor and the new build will almost certainly do likewise (fitting into a sort of ‘docking bay’ in the side of my new desk, whenever I actually finish making it). The custom roller-base on the smooth wood in here lets me easily slide it around with a finger in much the same way as the cart, and an awkward staircase means in practice it’s never really going anywhere else but here. The rather uncomfortable sprawling on the floor to deal with lower pipework and PSU cables may be undignified, but I can live with that.

Quote: Originally Posted by iamjanco View Post
^oops, missed this one the other day (been a few hectic couple of days).

I wouldn't necessary call the casters impervious to damage, but I think they'll hold up well given my use case. Looking at them from where I sit now I'd say they're about 3" tall, and maybe 0.75" wide, made of hard material. As I mentioned earlier on though, the weakest part of the product are the plastic bushings that are inserted into the frame, one of which arrived with the topmost rim where it seats against the frame broken off (found it in the box, believe it or not). I chalk that one up to handling during shipping, but I wouldn't necessarily blame FedEx who dropped it off at my door. It ships in such a large and flimsy, thin cardboard box that it could have happened anywhere along the way from the factory.

Again, the frame itself is definitely sturdy once assembled. Not sure I'd go soap box derby racing down a steep hill riding it, but I I'm pretty sure it hold up otherwise.
Before I purchased the cart I was looking into getting a hydraulic table cart, where I could raise and lower the build to different heights, but they were much more expensive and I didn't want the handle/jack portion to be in my way. So I went with this cart. It is not much larger than the build dimensions which is what I wanted. There is a version without the keyboard tray too, although I've mostly used the keyboard tray for tools or parts at times

As @iamjanco mentioned the cart is quite sturdy! It is called an "A/V Cart" so it's made for heavy equipment. In fact it's rated for up to 300lbs. My case is on casters, but all four casters are locked down and it really doesn't budge. There is a nice raised lip around the top of the cart too.

Here's a product link The storage shelves come in quite handy as well. I've had four 2.5 gallon distilled water containers on the bottom at one time.

I mostly just turn it around or move it only a few feet at a time on a smooth concrete floor. When I roll it out into the back yard for photos it's probably less than 30 feet away, but I do roll it very carefully then, and it goes over my paver patio just fine.

You can also leave to top leg pieces off and just put the top on the lower leg pieces for a strong short table like this.




Quote: Originally Posted by emsj86 View Post
Loving how the build is turning out. I think I went thru 6 different re builds in the time this has been going together. Its nice to see the detail and patience you are having to make this great
Thanks man! Yes, I'm certainly not setting any speed records here, but the end is getting close now

As one of my first subscribers thank you for following along!



.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cart short.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	840.6 KB
ID:	259562  



Barefooter is online now  
post #487 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker
 
Barefooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,283
Rep: 104 (Unique: 88)
Modding the NVLink Bridge... again

As soon as I had the first video card waterblock installed, I reached over to my NVLink bridge to see how it fits… and it doesn’t fit! The pointed ends hit the terminal blocks of the video cards. Well I never saw that coming!

Obviously I was not happy about that! I immediately took out my Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, and cut the tips of the NVLink bridge off. I figured if it doesn’t work I’ll have to buy a different NVLink bridge anyway.

I did take the bridge apart before cutting off the tips, and then filed it down flat.




It does fit on the video cards with the tips cut down like this. I’ll have to admit that I did consider just leaving this edge like it was because it hardly shows… but I just can’t do that.




I picked up some J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Epoxy Putty. I have used J-B Weld before with great success, but this is the first time I’ve used this particular product. It is more of a putty consistency rather than liquid.

You just cut a piece off the end, the outer layer is blue and the inside is white, and then mix it together until it's all one color. This is how much I mixed up to use.




I just formed a piece on each end, and let it harden 24 hours.






Then I just used a file, and sandpaper to smooth it out to match the bridge.









I repainted the entire bridge, and let the paint dry for a week. Here’s a look at the bridge before I cut the tips off.




Here’s the new shorter modded version of the NVLink bridge. Looks good to me






Here we go with the NVLink bridge installed. One thing I neglected to mention in my post on installing the waterblocks, I also flipped the terminal blocks over so the “Watercool” logo is right side up on my reverse ATX build. The terminal blocks are symmetrical, and therefore can easily be mounted either way.

I can’t tell you how happy this makes me! If you haven’t noticed it already, I have removed as many labels, logos, and branding as I can on this build. The “Watercool” logos on the terminal blocks are going to be about the only really noticeable logos on the build.




I also swapped out the allen socket stop plugs in the terminal blocks for the Bitspower low profile stop plugs that I have used throughout the build.





.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3602.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	6.22 MB
ID:	259598  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3612.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	6.30 MB
ID:	259600  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3599.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	6.89 MB
ID:	259602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3615.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	6.19 MB
ID:	259604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3617.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	6.79 MB
ID:	259606  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3626.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	6.01 MB
ID:	259608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3627.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	6.87 MB
ID:	259610  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3630.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	6.08 MB
ID:	259612  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3633.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	6.14 MB
ID:	259614  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2890.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	6.16 MB
ID:	259616  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3729.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	7.22 MB
ID:	259618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3735.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	6.34 MB
ID:	259624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3797.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	6.66 MB
ID:	259626  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3798.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	7.03 MB
ID:	259628  



Barefooter is online now  
post #488 of 488 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker
 
Barefooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,283
Rep: 104 (Unique: 88)
Reinstalling the Hard Disk Drives – The Last Bend

After Seagate admitted to messing up my RMA by only sending me one of two hard drives, they did step up to the plate, and shipped me the second one via over-night shipping.
The hardest part of this whole removal and reinstallation of the hard drive cage assembly is going to be plugging the LED connectors back into the Splitty9 under the reservoir on the back side here.

I removed this upper front pull fan for access to the LED wires.




After I removed the waterblocks from the hard drives, you can see that the spindle area makes great contact, but the circuit board area really didn’t make good contact.




I had enough of the 1mm thermal pad material left over to cover the spindle areas of both hard drives, and I purchased a sheet of 1.5mm thermal pad to cover the circuit board area. I had to buy more thermal pad material anyway, and I think this will work a little better.




Waterblocks remounted.




Now to put the LED harnesses back in, and remount the hard drives in the cage.




Zip tied the harnesses around the back side.




Hard drive cage ready to reinstall.






Reinstalled the top tube from the hard drives to the upper radiator on this side.




Time to put the hard drive power cable, and SATA cables in while there is better access without the lower tubing in place.






The Last Bend

I had to dig the bending board out for the last bend for this build. When I originally made the tube from the hard drive waterblocks to the SSD block I was not sure how the tubing was going to exactly work out for the video cards since I did not have them yet.




I had previously made the tube from the hard drives going to the front port on the SSD waterblock, as the instructions actually show the rear port as the input port which would come from the video card blocks. I’m going to redo that tube so that it goes to the rear port because I like the way the tubing from the video card waterblocks blends nicely going into the front port of the SSD waterblock.

Looking at the waterblock here I don’t think it really matters which way the water flows through this block anyway. Especially since the SSD doesn’t even really need to be water cooled. I would suspect there would be less than one degree difference in temperature as to the flow direction, if there is any difference at all.




If I was really thinking ahead I would have made this tube like this to start with then I could have merely shortened it if I needed to. Anyway here is the last tube to complete the loop.








I did not test these hard drives first... just going for it, and hope that they work ok


.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3406-2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	259990  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3805.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.60 MB
ID:	259992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3807.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	5.99 MB
ID:	259994  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3826.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.82 MB
ID:	259996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3828.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	7.23 MB
ID:	259998  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3838.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	5.99 MB
ID:	260000  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3841.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.49 MB
ID:	260002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3845.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.70 MB
ID:	260004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3850.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.79 MB
ID:	260006  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3855.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	7.39 MB
ID:	260008  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3860.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.56 MB
ID:	260010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3862-2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	260012  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2066-2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	260014  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3864-2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	260016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3867.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	6.87 MB
ID:	260018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3875.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	7.20 MB
ID:	260020  



Barefooter is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off