[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #41 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

The Drain Set-up
I'm going to use a dual rotary on each radiator with a male quick disconnect fitting. The quick disconnects are coming in my next order, so I just put a couple of extensions in there so you can see approximately the size they will be. Then I'll have two hoses with female disconnects that I can just snap on there to drain the system. Pretty simple really, but I think it will work well.

I've use the Bitspower Mini-Valves before, they look nice, but the handles always break. Seems like they could charge a few more dollars and give you a metal handle. I broke one once, and bought another one to replace it, took it out of the bag, careful to make sure and turn it the correct way... bam handle breaks before I can even use it. Besides I really think the quick disconnects will be easier than reaching down under the case to open a valve.

Intriguing.

Up to now I've been trying to work out a way to route the lowest part of my loop between the two bottom radiators, using the bottom ports and using the space provided by the bottom set of fans and the gap between the rad in the MB side of the case and the mid wall. I was going to have a junction off that link with a tap leading to a pass-through on the front wall of the case (but behind the front cover). I think there's just enough space, but it is tight and part of the tightness was figuring out how to fit it when finger access is so restricted. However, I had come up with a solution of sorts, subject to final measurements.

To get round the dodgy Bitspower plastic handle issue, I was looking at the metal handled Barrow valves. (Why the ... heck ... doesn't Bitspower do metal handles, even if they were to only fit them to a premium version of their mini valves? Everything else they do screams quality. Having the best quality is their whole unique selling point, so why skimp on their valve handles? It's baffling.)

What you've done is to solve that whole problem by simply having your drains separate and coming out the bottom of the case as QDCs, which I shall now look at as a solution. It could simplify things for me considerably. However it does mean that I would have to use the wheels instead of the feet. Mine is actually going on my desktop (don't worry, it's a proper sturdy desk).

One question though, exactly what parts have you used for those bottom drains please? Do you have the model numbers for the various fittings please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 110 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0451 View Post

I had to respray my Hardware Labs and EK radiators, but my Aplhacool radiators had a nice durable coat of paint.
Yeah I think a couple of nice coats of semi-gloss black and the radiators will look much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpxchg8b View Post

This:

totally looks like this:

Subbed and eagerly waiting for updates. thumb.gif
That is so funny because that is exactly what I was thinking when I took those pictures... "looks like a couple of exhaust pipes". They are exhaust pipes really... at least during a drain biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post

Intriguing.

Up to now I've been trying to work out a way to route the lowest part of my loop between the two bottom radiators, using the bottom ports and using the space provided by the bottom set of fans and the gap between the rad in the MB side of the case and the mid wall. I was going to have a junction off that link with a tap leading to a pass-through on the front wall of the case (but behind the front cover). I think there's just enough space, but it is tight and part of the tightness was figuring out how to fit it when finger access is so restricted. However, I had come up with a solution of sorts, subject to final measurements.

To get round the dodgy Bitspower plastic handle issue, I was looking at the metal handled Barrow valves. (Why the ... heck ... doesn't Bitspower do metal handles, even if they were to only fit them to a premium version of their mini valves? Everything else they do screams quality. Having the best quality is their whole unique selling point, so why skimp on their valve handles? It's baffling.)

What you've done is to solve that whole problem by simply having your drains separate and coming out the bottom of the case as QDCs, which I shall now look at as a solution. It could simplify things for me considerably. However it does mean that I would have to use the wheels instead of the feet. Mine is actually going on my desktop (don't worry, it's a proper sturdy desk).

One question though, exactly what parts have you used for those bottom drains please? Do you have the model numbers for the various fittings please?

I am using two of each:
Bitspower G 1/4" Silver Shiny Dual Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter Model: BP-90R2

Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling Male Threaded G 1/4 BSPP Model: QD3-MSG4

Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Female Panel Barb for ID 13mm (1/2in) Model: QD3-FS13-P

Then add a length of clear 1/2" hose to the female QDCs and I'll just store those until I'm ready to drain.

post #43 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Fitting and Mounting the Top 560mm Hardware Labs SR2 Radiators

For the top radiators I still need to move them further forward than the factory drop-in mount screw slots will allow. I can't move them quite as far forward as I did with the bottom radiators because the top push fans will hit the top of the case opening.

There is no need to move the radiators more outward. So I’ll be extending the current 12 slots on the top.

The top taped up and ready to work on.

First I want to drill a hole right in front of the existing slots. Using a snap center punch again to mark the place to drill.

Again use a smaller size drill first, then a drill just smaller than the width of the slot.

After drilling I peeled the tape off so I could see better. Now using a small round file to file the little piece between the hole and the slot, then a flat file to flatten the sides.

Came out pretty good.

Here’s getting ready to do the center six slots.

All 12 slots elongated now. They started out 9.5mm in length, and are all now 15mm long.

Mounted the top radiators and used an extra stop plug to mark the four areas I need to cut out for the fill ports.

A Dremel tool and a file… yes you can make it fit biggrin.gif

Cut close to the lines and then finish up with a file.

I used the square just to be sure that all four are the same depth

I put a stop plug up there several times while fine tuning the last little bit with the file.

All drilling, cutting, and filing complete.

The top radiators mounted.

The Fill Port Set-up

I’ll have two fill ports, one on the inside port of each top radiator, and two air bleeder valves on the top outside ports. I’m not sure how useful the air bleeder ports are going to be, but I’m going to try them out. I can always swap them out for stop plugs if I want to.

As you can see, I only have one air bleeder at the moment.

Four down, and two to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Very nice work. I like the flex-bay screws you are using to hold the radiator mounts.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #45 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm hopping on the sub train for this awesome build!!
post #46 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

Very nice work. I like the flex-bay screws you are using to hold the radiator mounts.
Thank you. Yes the flex bay screws work great, hold the radiator/fan pack with one hand and use the thumb screws on top. The radiator mounts are called "drop-in" mounts, well that may be true for the bottom radiators, but for the top radiators "push-up" mount would be more correct, since they get pushed up from the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugatronix View Post

I'm hopping on the sub train for this awesome build!!
Welcome aboard!

post #47 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Fitting and Mounting the Front 280mm Hardware Labs SR2 Radiators

Here’s the stock 280mm CaseLabs flex-bay mount. These originally did not have the square cuts in them until CaseLabs added these because of the Alphacool multi-port radiators. I don’t think these Hardware Labs SR2 radiators with multi-port were out when they were revised, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, you can see the Alphacool radiator ports are closer together than they are on the Hardware Labs. I actually could use these mounts on these radiators without modification, but I would have no up or down adjustment available.

Here the radiator is all the way down in the slots of the mount.

I loosened the stop plugs to let the radiator slide up so you can see how much adjustment is available with the existing slots in the mount.

I’ll fix that! Tape it up.

In the vise, I just used a file here.

It looks kind of funky, a part round cut-out, and part square one. But this will not show at all, so no big deal.

The one on the left is adjusted all the way up, and the right side is all the way down.

I’ll figure out later exactly where the best height will be. At least I have some adjustment available here.

All six radiators fitted and mounted now thumb.gif

post #48 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:44 PM

^I did the exact same thing to my S8S 360 x2 top mount. On similar HWLabs rads too, lol.
post #49 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-e View Post

^I did the exact same thing to my S8S 360 x2 top mount. On similar HWLabs rads too, lol.

I really like how you've done the plumbing on your build, it looks awesome!

I wanted to use the 16mm tubing on my build too, because it's a big case, so must use large tubing thumb.gif

This is my first time using the hard tubing, and I'm really looking forward to it! I bought the Monsoon bending kit, but I still haven't decided if I'm actually going to have any bends, or just use fittings.

I like the look of builds that have all bends, and also like the ones with all fittings. The ones with all fittings seem to look more "heavy duty" or "industrial" like to me. I am planning to use either all fittings, or mostly fittings with just a few bends, similar to what MR-e has done.

post #50 of 517 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

All six radiators mounted

Now to put all the "rad-packs" back it the case frame to see how it looks.
The upper left two are the top radiators with push/pull fans.
The upper right two are the bottom radiators with push fans.

I'll spin the case around so you can see from multiple angles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in