[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 53 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #521 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
Sweet build

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #522 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 153)
No problem with the time spent finishing this incredible build, it was well worth waiting for!

I haven't posted on OCN much lately, but after seeing your build begin some time ago, and spending some time reviewing it further, I felt that it was appropriate to post my approval!

I previously gave a Rep+ for your Aquaero guide, that's going to be very helpful to many of us, it certainly will be for myself.

As for the "Big Red Devastator", what a beauty!
I recall when you had all those panels and parts powder-coated, and it was nice to see what a fine job they did.
Not an easy task stripping the original coating and re-doing it, but it sure came out fantastic.

Excellent build log, quality photography, and the detailed explanations of all the steps along the way.

The selection of parts, cable sleeving, the hard tubing, all top-notch.
And tons of rad space!

It's nice to see this legacy continue with your project.
After what went down with CaseLabs, those of us lucky enough to have one of their cases can still enjoy building in them.

A Rep+ for this lovely build log!

CaseLabs S8 Build: S8 White w/Pedestal ~ i7 5775C Broadwell ~ ASUS Maximus VII Hero ~ Titan Xp SLI ~ GSkill Ripjaws X 2133 16GB ~ EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 ~ Acer Predator XB271HU ~ Ducky Shine 2 MX Brown w/Yellow Backlighting ~ Mucho WC parts waiting for the loop rebuild/upgrade......

post #523 of 534 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:00 AM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
Oh wow. Congratulations Barefooter - she’s magnificent. Worthy of every single bit of effort you put in to this project, and then some.

The pictures are all superb, yet I think my favourite is the first of the night-time set. Not wishing to get too art-critic about it, but there is something about the way that beautifully lit interior contrasts with the pure black of the case and cable as it is silhouetted against the glow reflected by the backdrop - visible on one side, disappearing into darkness on the other. That I really like.

My highest compliments on both the build and the build log, and for the same reason – the sheer standard of quality. You’ve shown throughout an unfailing attention to the little details that most people would disregard or never even notice in the first place, to a masterful degree that even my obsessive tendencies would struggle to try and match! More impressive has been the total willingness to take things apart and redo them if they weren’t absolutely up to scratch; never accepting second best, no “that’ll do” or “good enough”. I also admire that Devastator’s design shows no compromise in form for function, or function for form - the supercar mentality: raw power, deeply enviable performance numbers, striking aesthetics, top-spec craftsmanship, and bright red paint. It really is an outstanding creation.

Most of all however you deserve the highest praise for having put such time, effort and depth of information into this build log. I don’t doubt that I will end up returning to it as a how-to reference in future, especially in respect of your test procedures and Aquaero guide. Your testing has been exhaustively thorough, your documentation of the project first rate (in respect of both the text and the pictures, your explanations comprehensive yet clear) and you maintained that consistent high standard of writing from first to last. Since these are things that I regret not doing - or having slowly let slip a bit - back when I did Ironbeast I can’t help but doff my hat to you for that.

+Rep for a stunning piece of work.

Bravo, Barefooter. Bravo.

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club

Last edited by OCDesign; 06-26-2019 at 04:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #524 of 534 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Quote: Originally Posted by JasonMorris View Post
Stunning build it's been a long journey. Hope you can now finally enjoy using it. Look forward to the next one
Yes it has been a long journey, and this Summer instead of building I'll be playing games as I have a nice backlog of games to play now.

Not sure if I will do another build log to be honest with you. Most likely not here on OCN anyway unless the upcoming platform change is a dramatic improvement over what we have now. The editing features are terrible and thumbnails on the bottom of each post is most annoying. I know that @ENTERPRISE is working hard to improve things here. This is the latest update on that front https://www.overclock.net/forum/28022564-post825.html

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Sweet build
Thanks ThrashZone!

Quote: Originally Posted by DerComissar View Post
No problem with the time spent finishing this incredible build, it was well worth waiting for!

I haven't posted on OCN much lately, but after seeing your build begin some time ago, and spending some time reviewing it further, I felt that it was appropriate to post my approval!

I previously gave a Rep+ for your Aquaero guide, that's going to be very helpful to many of us, it certainly will be for myself.

As for the "Big Red Devastator", what a beauty!
I recall when you had all those panels and parts powder-coated, and it was nice to see what a fine job they did.
Not an easy task stripping the original coating and re-doing it, but it sure came out fantastic.

Excellent build log, quality photography, and the detailed explanations of all the steps along the way.

The selection of parts, cable sleeving, the hard tubing, all top-notch.
And tons of rad space!

It's nice to see this legacy continue with your project.
After what went down with CaseLabs, those of us lucky enough to have one of their cases can still enjoy building in them.

A Rep+ for this lovely build log!
Thank you very much for the kind words and the Reps! Makes me wonder how many Reps I would have gotten if the Rep system was not down for 13 months in the middle of this build log

And yes tons of rad space was part of my "max rads - max fans" theme

Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
Oh wow. Congratulations Barefooter - she’s magnificent. Worthy of every single bit of effort you put in to this project, and then some.

The pictures are all superb, yet I think my favourite is the first of the night-time set. Not wishing to get too art-critic about it, but there is something about the way that beautifully lit interior contrasts with the pure black of the case and cable as it is silhouetted against the glow reflected by the backdrop - visible on one side, disappearing into darkness on the other. That I really like.

My highest compliments on both the build and the build log, and for the same reason – the sheer standard of quality. You’ve shown throughout an unfailing attention to the little details that most people would disregard or never even notice in the first place, to a masterful degree that even my obsessive tendencies would struggle to try and match! More impressive has been the total willingness to take things apart and redo them if they weren’t absolutely up to scratch; never accepting second best, no “that’ll do” or “good enough”. I also admire that Devastator’s design shows no compromise in form for function, or function for form - the supercar mentality: raw power, deeply enviable performance numbers, striking aesthetics, top-spec craftsmanship, and bright red paint. It really is an outstanding creation.

Most of all however you deserve the highest praise for having put such time, effort and depth of information into this build log. I don’t doubt that I will end up returning to it as a how-to reference in future, especially in respect of your test procedures and Aquaero guide. Your testing has been exhaustively thorough, your documentation of the project first rate (in respect of both the text and the pictures, your explanations comprehensive yet clear) and you maintained that consistent high standard of writing from first to last. Since these are things that I regret not doing - or having slowly let slip a bit - back when I did Ironbeast I can’t help but doff my hat to you for that.

+Rep for a stunning piece of work.

Bravo, Barefooter. Bravo.
Thank you my friend, and I very much appreciate all of your comments and contributions along the way! You made me think long and hard about the flow indicator that I originally had in the middle of the tube connecting the front radiator to the bottom radiator on the main side, and I am glad that I ended up taking it out as I think it looks much cleaner now

In respect to your last paragraph, my intention from the beginning of the build log was to show "how I did it". Many build logs show the finished section, component or build, but never show you how they actually accomplished it.

That is the reason I have maintained the Build Log Index with Links on Post #2. When I first started this build log I never really thought about how many links the index would have, but I would have never guessed that there would be as many as there are now. Currently there are 93 links of major updates and/or "how-tos" and I still have at least two more to add.

I also have all 100 Final Pictures on Post #3 without the thumbnails on the bottom.

At the top of the opening post I have links to both Post #2 and Post #3 for quick easy access

It is also interesting to look on the opening post to compare the "Projected Hardware at the start of build log" to the "Actual Hardware Used" since when I started the build log I was guessing at some of the components as they would not be available until months later.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #525 of 534 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Asus Aura Sync RGB Videos

I did do a write up on the Asus Aura Sync software awhile back which you can see here Asus Aura Sync RGB Software Demo

At the time I took those videos the motherboard was just setup on a test bench with the G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM. Now that the build is complete, I have replaced the RAM with G.Skill Trident Z Royal RAM which has eight LEDs in each stick instead of five like the original RGB sticks have.

Plus I am now using the two RGB strip headers on the motherboard, one to illuminate both video card waterblocks, and one to illuminate the Intel 900P waterblock. I am no fan of a bunch of flashing lights, or lights changing to all kinds of different colors, but since I’ll be moving this rig up into my office soon to become my new daily driver, I thought I’d take a few videos of the different lighting options available in the Asus Aura software so you can see what it looks like.

Before I show the videos here’s a screenshot of the software. If you are using Single Color it’s real easy to pick red or any other color around the color wheel, and click apply. However if you want white you have to move the Saturation slider all the way down. If you want everything white it’s fairly easy.

I like to have the waterblocks in white with everything else red. To do this click the drop down arrow under Color and change it to “By Areas”, then selecting RGB strip-1 in the next drop down box, then I move the Saturation all the way down.

I do the same thing for RGB strip-2 except I also turn the brightness down quite a bit because the RGB strip in the Intel 900P waterblock is much longer and brighter than the two RGB strips in the video card waterblocks, they only have about four LEDs and are on just one side of the waterblock. This makes both about the same brightness. Now all the motherboard and the RAM are red, with the waterblocks white.

Like I said if you want all white it’s fairly easy, but if you want the motherboard red and want the RAM to be white it’s a lot of work! You have to click the drop down box select the first LED on the first stick of RAM, move the Saturation slider all the way down and click apply.

Here’s where it’s a pain in the neck… you have to do each LED on each stick of RAM separately, so that’s eight LEDs on four sticks of RAM it takes way over a hundred clicks of the mouse to accomplish this! Wouldn’t you think there should be some way to save several different profiles

You have already seen various Static color combinations in the final pictures I posted recently so let’s get to the Breathing option. For some reason this is the only lighting option in the left column that contains the Saturation slider so you can select white, so I’ll show you both white and red in the Breathing option.

Of course you can pick any color you would like. Color Cycle and Rainbow uses all the colors, but you can choose any color (except for white) for the Comet, Flash and Dance, Wave, Glowing Yo Yo, Starry-Night, or Strobing options. I’m only going to show those options in red.

All of these videos are less than 40 seconds.

Breathing Red Motherboard with White RAM and waterblocks

Breathing all Red

Color Cycle

Rainbow

Comet

Flash and Dance

Wave

Glowing Yo Yo

Starry-Night

Strobing

I most likely won’t ever use any of these lighting options, but now you know what they look like in a completed build

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-30.png
Views:	89
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	277484  

Name:	2019-06-30 (1).png
Views:	82
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	277486  

Name:	2019-06-30 (2).png
Views:	91
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	277488  

Name:	2019-06-30 (3).png
Views:	91
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	277490  

Name:	2019-06-30 (4).png
Views:	82
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	277492  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 07-02-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #526 of 534 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Final Specs with Vendor List and a Big Thank You!

Not one item in this build was sponsored or even discounted. Each component of this build was selected because it was either what I considered to be the finest available, or that I liked aesthetically the most to fit this build.

Here is a list of all the companies, and their products that I used in this build in alphabetical order:

Aquacomputer
Aquaero 6 XT
Aquaero 6 LT
2x D5 Pumps with USB and Aquabus interface
2x Aqualis XT 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating, Fill Level Sensor and Aquaubus interface
Flow sensor high flow USB
Farbwerk USB Bluetooth RGB Controller
6x Splitty9 fan splitters
Hubby7 USB splitter

Asus
Ramage VI Extreme Motherboard

Bitspower
Dual D5 Mod Top Acrylic - Polished
2 x Bitspower D5 Mod Kit - Chrome plated
2x HDD Acrylic waterblocks – Polished
Intel 900P SSD waterblock
Fittings - Silver Shining
Acrylic 16mm hard tubing

CaseLabs
THW10 Case with Custom Illusion Red Powder Coating

EK
30x EK Vardar F3-140ER fans with custom painted fan blades
2 x EK Vardar F4-120ER fans with custom painted fan blades

EVGA
2x RTX 2080 Ti XC Gaming Video Cards with +112 core and +1040 memory overclock
Modded 4 slot NVLink bridge
SuperNOVA 1600 T2 Power Supply

G.Skill
TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36 Memory

Hardware Labs
4x Black Ice SR2 560mm
2x Black Ice SR2 280mm

Intel
Skylake X Core i9-7900X CPU Silicon Lottery delidded 4.7 bin with 24/7 Overclock profile of 4.8 GHz @ 1.25 vcore & Benchmark Overclock profile of 5.0 GHz
480 GB Optane SSD 900P for OS and programs - water cooled

MDPC-X
Sleeving, wire, terminals and connectors

Samsung
850 EVO 2 TB SSD for games

Seagate
2x Iron Wolf Pro 12 TB Helium filled Hard Drives for mass storage - water cooled

Watercool
Heatkiller IV Pro Acrylic Nickel HWLuxx edition CPU waterblock
Heatkiller Acrylic Nickel VRM waterblock
2x Heatkiller IV Acrylic Nickel GPU waterblocks with chrome plated backplates

Local Shops used:
RC Refinishing – Custom Powder Coating
Valley Plating - Chrome Plating
Tap Plastics
Joe’s Glass – Tempered glass windows

A Big Thank You!
I want to give a big thank you to the top 10 posters on this build log. You all helped make it more fun and entertaining for me! In the order of most posts:

@ruffhi
@OCDesign
@iamjanco
@cpachris
@Trestles126
@Deathscythes
@emsj86
@meson1
@Master Chicken
@Jubijub

I also want to thank these two Hardware Reps here on OCN that were both very helpful and responsive when I needed it. Both companies make what I consider some of the finest water cooling components on the planet!

@Watercool-Jakob from Watercool
@Shoggy from Aquacomputer

Finally as I mentioned in the opening post thank you to @cpachris and his Big Budget Boomer Box build for the inspiration for this build. I hope that this “Devastator” build will also inspire others to create something awesome.

I never kept track of how many hours I spent on this build, but I would guess that it’s well over 400 hours, and I probably spent as much or more time on this build log!

I recently copied all of my posts to keep a record of all of my work just in case something happens to this web site because you never know what might happen in the future.

Not counting the posts where I was just answering questions or replying to comments, I have made 138 update posts, with over 47,000 words and shared 1,380 images so far in this build log. While my picture folder for this build contains 4,132 images, and I deleted many of the obviously bad ones before even importing them into my build folder!

I do have at least one more update coming which will be a suite of game benchmarks with the “Devastator” finally in place in my office.

It’s been great fun

Barefooter

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #527 of 534 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 86 (Unique: 56)
@Barefooter Thanks, but you're the one that really deserves all the credit. Two years or more you've been at it, that painstaking work and detail. Me, I was just along for the ride which has been quite enjoyable. A BIG to you, magnificent job all around

...playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest.

Last edited by iamjanco; 07-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #528 of 534 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
I believe you need some bigger rims and tires for that hotrod

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #529 of 534 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
I believe you need some bigger rims and tires for that hotrod
Hey ThrashZone, yes with it sitting on the cart it would look better with larger casters. However since this build is way too big and way to heavy to put on top of my desk, it must go under the desk.

If I used any larger casters then there would not be enough room above the case for proper ventilation. These were the smallest casters I could find from https://www.coolcasters.com/

This gives me about an even amount of space below and above the case with it fitting under my desk which you will see in my next post.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #530 of 534 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

The Big Move

I finally got the Devastator moved upstairs into my office. You probably saw on news about the earthquakes in southern California a few weeks back. There hasn’t been a “Big One” in my area for a long time, but this made me nervous because this build was still sitting on my cart in the workshop completely finished.

I had a friend come over to help me move it, and it was not easy! I took all the outer panels off, and taped a towel over the front grills to protect them. Then I rolled the cart over to my deck, and we had to go up two steps onto the deck, up two more steps into the kitchen, then up eleven more steps to the second floor where we could then roll it the rest of the way. I wish there was a way for me to weigh it, just guessing that it must be over a hundred pounds!

Here it is sitting in front of my now “old rig”

You can see how much larger the THW10 case is compared with the Corsair 750D.

I have been using dual monitors for quite a few years now. Once you get used to using two or more monitors, there is no going back to just having one! I was using two Samsung 27” 1080P TN monitors that I bought from Costco, then I bought an Acer Predator XB271HU G-Sync monitor to game on and just love that monitor. That’s when I realized how crappy my Samsung TN monitor looked next to a 1440P IPS monitor.

Then later I added a 27” 1080P TV to my desk with a Directv Genie so I could watch whatever I wanted off of my DVR while I was in my office. Although I don’t really watch much TV in my office sometimes I like to put a basketball or football game on while I’m working on the computer.

Anyways all three of these 27” displays have been sitting on my desk with their stock stands all this time even though about three years ago I purchased a used WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk 3+1 monitor stand from a local OCN member, but have never used it yet.

So since I’m moving the Devastator into position under my desk I wanted to clean up the cabling a little and also put this monitor stand to use. The Samsung monitor did not have a Vesa mount on the back so I grabbed the 24” Benq monitor out of my workshop that I was using as a security cam monitor because it does have a Vesa mount.

So here you have the TV on the left, the G-Sync monitor in the middle and the 24” monitor on the right. I am planning a monitor upgrade soon so now I can measure everything better.

On the side is the 27” Samsung monitor that used to be on the right side of the Acer Predator. It is now hooked up to the “old rig” while I get everything I want moved over to the Devastator.

As you can see I use an ergonomic keyboard. I type with ten fingers, and once you get used to one of these keyboards using a regular keyboard just feels weird.
When I’m gaming I just lift the keyboard onto the desk and put my Razer Orbweaver Stealth game pad onto the keyboard tray.

The white thing attached to the subwoofer is a thermostat that controls the four 120mm fans I mounted into the back of the desk. They are powered from the wall and turn on and off automatically. This pulls hot air out from under the desk and I have a fan behind me for hot days. On really hot days I run the air conditioning, which is usually only 15 to 20 days per year.

Yes I know they need to be cleaned.

Here’s a few night shots.

I know that a lot of people really don’t like the GeForce Experience program but I love it! I launch all of my games with it. It’s really easy to use and if you want more frames per second all you have to do is drag the slider over as many notches as you want and it will lower some of the settings automatically and increase your frame rates.

This way I don’t have to keep track of what all the “anti-aliasing” and various other settings actually change. Here for Far Cry New Dawn the default “Optimal” setting is the second highest, although moving the slider the last notch to the right doesn’t actually change any settings

I’ve been tearing it up on Far Cry New Dawn over the last several weeks! Using my everyday 4.8 GHz profile on the CPU with +112 core clock and +1040 memory profile on the video cards I crashed to the desk top just twice in the first 10 or so hours of game play.

Then I went down to +100 on the core clocks keeping the memory at +1040 and it has been rock solid with not one crash since then with over 40 hours of total game play! This is my new gaming profile for the video cards.

With the maxed out game settings I get between 90 to 120 FPS for the most part in this game. I did dial the game settings back a little just to try it out, and it was hitting 150 FPS I have set up in the graph here in Afterburner.

It’s the middle of summer here and on this day my office was a toasty 85° F or 30° C. After about an hour and twenty minutes of game play, the max my CPU Package got to was 68° with an average of 56°. The hottest my video cards got to was 44°, and I’ve never seen them get to more than 45°!

I’m very happy with the temps at these settings. You can also see this game has excellent utilization across all the cores.

I still plan to put together a suite of game benchmarks… but I’ve been having fun playing with this awesome rig

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_4916.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	7.15 MB
ID:	286338  

Name:	DSC_4919.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	6.32 MB
ID:	286340  

Name:	DSC_4920.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	6.61 MB
ID:	286342  

Name:	DSC_4923.JPG
Size:	7.10 MB
ID:	286344  

Name:	DSC_4926.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	7.14 MB
ID:	286346  

Name:	DSC_4925.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	6.96 MB
ID:	286348  

Name:	DSC_4928.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	7.11 MB
ID:	286350  

Name:	DSC_4932.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	7.17 MB
ID:	286352  

Name:	DSC_4936.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	7.46 MB
ID:	286354  

Name:	DSC_4938.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	6.12 MB
ID:	286358  

Name:	DSC_4941.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	7.46 MB
ID:	286360  

Name:	DSC_4943.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	6.55 MB
ID:	286362  

Name:	DSC_4944.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	6.91 MB
ID:	286364  

Name:	GeForce Experience.png
Views:	33
Size:	866.7 KB
ID:	286366  

Name:	After Burner.png
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	286368  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in