[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 54 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #531 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Capt Do-Over!

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Very nice build, love the detail on not only the case but everything surrounding it. People sometimes forget that part of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 120 (Unique: 99)
Game Benchmarks

I have ten games currently installed that have built in benchmarks. I’m going to run through each of them to see how they perform. Most of these benchmarks would probably run with my 5.0 GHz benchmark profile, but I want these results to be real world and how I’m going to use the rig on a regular basis. So I’m going to run all of these benchmarks using my everyday 4.8 GHz CPU overclocking profile.

I’ll use Afterburner for overclocking the video cards maxing out the power limit to +130, with +100 on the Core Clock and +1040 on the Memory Clock. All of the other benchmarks I’ve done previously I used either +112 or +130 on the Core Clock depending on the benchmark. But this +100 Core Clock setting is what I will use for my gaming profile. That is the settings I’ve been using while playing around 35 hours of Far Cry New Dawn without a single crash.

Also note that most of the following benchmarks were run with a room ambient temperature of 85° F, with 80° F minimum. It’s the middle of summer here so this is the worst case scenario of conditions.

The benchmarks are all run on my Acer Predator XB271HU 27” G-Sync 2560 x 1440 resolution monitor with G-Sync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel. I’ve had this monitor for over three years, and it’s really a great monitor! Although I do plan to do a monitor upgrade in the coming months.

I know a lot of people don’t like or don’t use the GeForce Experience program, but I really like the program and launch all of my games with it. With one button click you can optimize the game settings, and if you want more FPS all you have to do is drag the slider to the left and click apply.

I’m using the default “Optimal” settings on all of these benchmarks unless otherwise noted, and for most of the games it’s completely maxed out settings anyways.

I will also take a look at some DSR, DLSS, and Ray Tracing settings in some of these tests. I was originally going to go through all of these benchmarks in alphabetical order, but decided to use the games release date instead starting with the oldest to the newest.

Hitman Absolution released May 2014

This is kind of an older title at this point, but many video card reviews in the past have used this built in benchmark. I got over 107 FPS on this benchmark with maxed settings.

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor released September 2014

I ran all of these benchmark tests at least three times. This one gets a crazy high score of over 243 FPS even with completely maxed out settings.

BioShock Infinite released March 2015

I really enjoyed this game! It exports the results to a spread sheet though so no screen shot, but here’s the picture of the spreadsheet with a whopping average of 292 FPS. Look at the max FPS!

Rise of the Tomb Raider released November 2015

Here’s a screen shot of the GeForce Experience showing the optimal settings just one notch below the max. Moving it up the last notch only changes one setting from 2x SSAA to 4x SSAA. I used the optimal settings here for over 118 FPS.

Next I used the DSR feature which renders in the 3620x2036 resolution and then down samples it. That dropped the FPS down to 91.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands released March 2017

This game gave me really inconsistent results. There’s a Ghost Recon Wildlands Bench-A-Thon thread where a guy had virtually the same hardware with the same settings as this and he was getting much higher FPS and much higher GPU% usage than I was. I never could figure out why.

Here I used the in game “Ultra” settings for 55 FPS.

This is with “Very High” settings for 77 FPS.

Now with the “High” setting and 86 FPS.

Assassins Creed Origins released October 2017

As you can see with maxed out settings it scored 77 FPS, however this is one of only two of the ten games tested here that does not support SLI. So that is just one card being used.

This is what I keep displayed on my second monitor while gaming or benchmarking. HWiNFO and the detached Afterburner monitor. The top portion of each column shows each video card. The red box in the right column shows the card in use, while the column on the left shows the unused card.

Assassins Creed Odyssey released October 2018

This is the second game that does not support SLI, and it is the most demanding game of all the games I tested here. The GeForce Experience is a few notches below the maximum and it still only gets 65 FPS!

I moved the slider half way down to see what the difference would be. You can see it changed the Fog from medium to low, the Shadows from ultra high to medium, and the Volumetric Clouds from high to medium, and there’s more settings below that we can’t see. That brings the FPS up to 77.

I won’t show you the GeForce Experience screen shot here, but this is after dragging the slider all the way to the left, and it only gets up to 84 FPS. This moved the Anti-Aliasing from medium to low. It’s unlikely that I would ever actually use these settings.

Now to look at the other end of the spectrum, I moved the slider all the way to the right to max out the settings, and I was surprised how many settings were changed. This game is just brutal! Even with an overclocked 2080 Ti it only gets 39 FPS! And look at the minimum FPS is only 23 which makes this game really unplayable with these settings.

Personally most of the time I can’t really tell a difference between a games “Ultra” settings and whatever is the next setting below that while I’m actually playing the game because I’m not standing there staring at the textures, I’m running around trying to survive and win the game! I would rather have more FPS than detail that I don’t really notice.

Far Cry 5 released March 2018

The Far Cry series of games are some of my favorite games! Besides a few hours here and there on a few different games, this is the only game that I actually played all the way through during my two plus years of building the “Devastator”.

This benchmark was done with just one notch down from max on the GeForce Experience and the only setting that changes with it completely maxed is the resolution scaling is slightly higher. Here we get a nice average FPS of 103.

This is also a Ubisoft title like the Assassins Creed titles and if fully utilizes SLI quite nicely. Here the red boxes on the Afterburner Monitor graph shows the area of the benchmark. Also this is the only game were the CPU Package temp crossed the 69° C mark and got to 70° C in this three plus minute run. The max the GPU temps got to in any game was 45° C.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider released September 2018

This game has optimal settings just one notch down from the max, and the only thing that changes going up the last little bit is it changes the “Nvidia RTX Ray Traced Shadow Quality” setting from High to Ultra, but first we’ll look at the default Optimal settings.

Not bad with average FPS of 115

Here I turned on the DLSS feature which is not affected by the GeForce Experience slider. This gave me eight more FPS for an average of 123 FPS. It looks like a good feature to keep on.

Now I turned the “Nvidia RTX Ray Traced Shadow Quality” up to Ultra and still it still gets 112 average FPS which is only three FPS less than the High setting. Still I doubt if I would notice a difference during game play.

This is with the same setting but with the DLSS feature turned on and it gets seven more FPS with an average of 119 FPS.

Far Cry New Dawn released February 2019

This is newest game tested, and the one I’m currently almost all the way through playing. It also has the Optimal setting just one increment down from the maximum, and that only ups the resolution scale from 1.7 to 2.0.

During most of my game play I’ve been getting mostly 90 to 120 FPS. The benchmark gets an average of 89 FPS here.

There it is ten games benchmarked with mostly maxed out or at least nearly maxed out settings. Once I do my monitor upgrade I may run through these again for comparison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Hitman Absolution 108 FPS.png
Views:	136
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	288508  

Name:	2 Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor 244 FPS.png
Views:	151
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	288510  

Name:	3 Bioshock 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	288512  

Name:	4 Rise of the Tomb Raider GFE.png
Views:	141
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	288516  

Name:	5 Rise of the Tomb Raider 119 FPS.png
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	288518  

Name:	6 Rise of the Tomb Raider GFE DSR.jpg
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	288520  

Name:	7 Rise of the Tomb Raider 91 FPS with DSR.png
Views:	139
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	288522  

Name:	9 Ghost Recon 55 FPS Ultra.png
Views:	131
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	288524  

Name:	10 Ghost Recon 78 FPS Very High.png
Views:	129
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	288526  

Name:	11 Ghost Recon 87 FPS High.png
Views:	129
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	288528  

Name:	12 AC Origins GFE.png
Views:	140
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	288530  

Name:	13 AC Origins 77 FPS.png
Views:	130
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	288532  

Name:	14 AC Origns Graph.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	534.3 KB
ID:	288534  

Name:	15 AC Odyssey GFE.png
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	288536  

Name:	16 AC Odyssey 65 FPS.png
Views:	128
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	288538  

Name:	17 AC Odyssey GFE 3.png
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	288540  

Name:	18 AC Odyssey 77 FPS 3.png
Views:	120
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	288542  

Name:	19 AC Odyssey 84 FPS 4.png
Views:	132
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	288544  

Name:	19.1 Assassins Creed Odyssey 39 FPS Maxed.png
Views:	130
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	288546  

Name:	20 Far Cry 5 103 FPS.png
Views:	132
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	288548  

Name:	21 Far Cry 5 Grapsh.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	288550  

Name:	22 Shadow of the Tomb Raider GFE.png
Views:	135
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	288552  

Name:	23 Shadow of the Tomb Raider 115 FPS.png
Size:	6.05 MB
ID:	288554  

Name:	24 Shadow of the Tomb Raider 123 FPS with DLSS on.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	288556  

Name:	24.1 Shadow of the Tomb Raider 112 FPS Maxed.png
Size:	6.53 MB
ID:	288558  

Name:	24.2 Shadow of the Tomb Raider 119 FPS Maxed DLSS on.png
Size:	5.93 MB
ID:	288560  

Name:	25 Far Cry New Dawn GFE.png
Views:	124
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	288562  

Name:	26 Far Cry New Dawn 89 FPS.png
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	288564  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 08-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #533 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Chief Over-Engineer

Rep: 44 (Unique: 32)
The only one I can really comment on - because it is the only game actually installed on here at present - but by chance I happen to be in the middle of replaying Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (to finally put my new-ish kit through its paces), noticed your post and out of curiosity couldn’t resist running the benchmark to compare. Slightly surprised your numbers aren’t higher.

At Ultra-High, x1.0 resolution multiplier, @ 5120x2160 native on my LG 5K centre screen it benches @ 44 FPS. Better in actual gameplay, enough to be perfectly playable – especially given how much of my game time consists of aimlessly wandering around enjoying the scenery…

I don’t use GeForce Experience myself, so the settings are changed manually in-game which may account for it. But turned down to match you at 2560x1440, tests run back-to-back, at each of the graphics pre-sets I get:

• Low: 96 FPS
  • Medium: 91 FPS
  • High: 80 FPS
  • Very High: 76 FPS
  • Ultra High: 69 FPS
and despite it being an absolute killer

• Ultra High with maximum resolution modifier (200%): 34 FPS

Performance is a lot less settled however; lower minimums, higher maximums, and all my graphs are consistently much spikier.

Considering this is all on my test bench at the moment (under water but vastly more limited cooling than yours, and therefore the Threadripper & the 2080 Ti XC Ultra are sitting unaltered on their stock out-of-the-box settings), on a monitor setup that is intended for CAD and not gaming, running the two 4K side screens as well as the centre screen on which AC is being played with a fair amount of other minor processes going on, I’d have expected Devastator to be way ahead in its scores?

Obsessive Compulsive Design...a chronic condition for which there is no cure.

The IRONBEAST Project
“Obsession is the Only Path to Perfection”

post-flame-small.gifASUS X99-E WS Owners Clubpost-flame-small.gif
NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti Owner's Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #534 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by Tolkmod View Post
Very nice build, love the detail on not only the case but everything surrounding it. People sometimes forget that part of it
Thank you! Yes the complete package is what really makes it. I just received a new set of wireless headphones that I'll be detailing here soon. Haven't even opened the box yet.

Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
The only one I can really comment on - because it is the only game actually installed on here at present - but by chance I happen to be in the middle of replaying Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (to finally put my new-ish kit through its paces), noticed your post and out of curiosity couldn’t resist running the benchmark to compare. Slightly surprised your numbers aren’t higher.

At Ultra-High, x1.0 resolution multiplier, @ 5120x2160 native on my LG 5K centre screen it benches @ 44 FPS. Better in actual gameplay, enough to be perfectly playable – especially given how much of my game time consists of aimlessly wandering around enjoying the scenery…

I don’t use GeForce Experience myself, so the settings are changed manually in-game which may account for it. But turned down to match you at 2560x1440, tests run back-to-back, at each of the graphics pre-sets I get:

• Low: 96 FPS
  • Medium: 91 FPS
  • High: 80 FPS
  • Very High: 76 FPS
  • Ultra High: 69 FPS
and despite it being an absolute killer

• Ultra High with maximum resolution modifier (200%): 34 FPS

Performance is a lot less settled however; lower minimums, higher maximums, and all my graphs are consistently much spikier.

Considering this is all on my test bench at the moment (under water but vastly more limited cooling than yours, and therefore the Threadripper & the 2080 Ti XC Ultra are sitting unaltered on their stock out-of-the-box settings), on a monitor setup that is intended for CAD and not gaming, running the two 4K side screens as well as the centre screen on which AC is being played with a fair amount of other minor processes going on, I’d have expected Devastator to be way ahead in its scores?
Thank you for sharing your results. I always enjoy comparisons! That is quite the monitor set-up you have, would love to see a picture of it. I must admit I chuckled to myself that your "side screens" are merely 4K displays... the "low res" monitors of your set-up

Anyway I decided to rerun the Assassin's Creed Odyssey benchmarks without the GeForce Experience so I could match your settings. I think the GeForce experience was setting the Resolution Modifier to a higher setting on some benchmarks. I know for sure it did that with Ghost Recon Wildlands.

So I reran the all of the benchmarks using the in-game settings, and keeping the Resolution Modifier set to 100% except for the final run where I used the 200% setting like you did (yes a FPS killer), then ran through Low, Medium, High, Very High, Ultra High, and finally Ultra High at 200%.

I did find out this week while searching around that turning off SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel actually gives better performance when playing a game without SLI support than leaving it enabled so I gave that a try, and was really surprised that it made a HUGE difference. With SLI enabled the second card gets between 15% to 20% usage and the main card floats between 60% to 70% usage.

With SLI disabled the second card does nothing and the main card stays between 90% and 95% useage and the FPS are dramatically better!

Here's a screen shot of the Afterburner Monitor with SLI disabled.

I put together a spreadsheet showing the FPS with and without SLI enabled. I only ran each benchmark once except for oddly enough with SLI enabled I got one FPS more on the Very High setting as opposed to just the High setting, so I ran that a second time with the same results. Also I actually got two less FPS with SLI disabled when running the 200% Resolution Modifier settings which I also ran a second time with the same results.

I also re-ran Assassin's Creed Origins the only other game I had benchmarked without SLI support and it was the same scenario with far better FPS with SLI disabled. So if you are running SLI and are playing a game that does not support SLI, be sure to disable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel to maximize your FPS.

Also I could not see any difference at all using the 200% Resolution Modifier, so there is no reason I can see for using that setting.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ACO without SLI.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	290188  

Name:	Assassins Creed Chart 24-2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	290200  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 08-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #535 of 539 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:59 PM
Chief Over-Engineer

Yes, that looks more like it! The SLI-disabled numbers are much closer in line with the margin I’d expect those finely tuned overclocks to be delivering. Thought the earlier lot looked a little off somehow - underwhelming - given that our systems use the same card.

Must say I’m quite stunned how much the dual-GPU setup is holding both Odyssey and Origins back; I can understand NVLink not helping with something that doesn’t support it, but didn’t expect it to yielding worse performance. (The 39-37 with the 200% silly setting is in margin of error territory can probably be disregarded). Presumably, since it hits both titles but not Tomb Raider or Far Cry, it’s a quirk of the AC game engine?

Anyway, as requested, a quick picture of my monitor setup (spoilered for convenience):

Spoiler!

The IRONBEAST Project

Last edited by OCDesign; 08-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #536 of 539 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by OCDesign View Post
Yes, that looks more like it! The SLI-disabled numbers are much closer in line with the margin I’d expect those finely tuned overclocks to be delivering. Thought the earlier lot looked a little off somehow - underwhelming - given that our systems use the same card.

Must say I’m quite stunned how much the dual-GPU setup is holding both Odyssey and Origins back; I can understand NVLink not helping with something that doesn’t support it, but didn’t expect it to yielding worse performance. (The 39-37 with the 200% silly setting is in margin of error territory can probably be disregarded). Presumably, since it hits both titles but not Tomb Raider or Far Cry, it’s a quirk of the AC game engine?

Anyway, as requested, a quick picture of my monitor setup (spoilered for convenience):

Spoiler!
Wow that is a super spectacular monitor set-up! Thank you for sharing a picture of it! Hope I did not offend you with my "low-res" comment, that certainly was not my intention as I was not envisioning a wide screen in the middle. Having the same vertical resolution across all three monitors makes it superior for your use scenario, and for a work station that is about as good of a set-up as you can get monitor wise.

I don't have enough room for your set-up. My desk can hold three 27" monitors for a surround set-up with one over the top, but at this point I think I'm going to go for a wide screen, with my current 27" Acer Predator as a secondary monitor to one side. Not sure what I'll do yet but in the next few months I'll be doing some kind of monitor upgrade. I have to have a VRR monitor for my main gaming screen though. I think once you have G-Sync for gaming there is no going back.

I can't believe the Iron Beast is retired already! That bench rig is pretty cool even though it's a little "messy" as you put it

Your pictures show up fine and YES, it is much more difficult to make posts, and to post pictures with the new OCN platform About 2/3 of my build log was done with the new system and it's a total pain compared with the old system!

Next up is an overview of my new SteelSeries Acrtis Pro Gaming Wireless Headset

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #537 of 539 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset

Today I’m going to discuss the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset. It is not going to be a full on review, but rather my decision making process for purchasing them over other wireless headsets, and to share my experience with them along with a few pictures.

I’ve been using a Turtle Beach Earforce PX51 wireless headset for about five years now. They are quite comfortable and sound great. I would probably just keep using these because I have been happy with them except for one extremely annoying fault.

They automatically shut off while watching a video, but not while gaming. I mostly just use them for gaming so I’ve been living with it, but now they are starting to shut off during cut scenes or even quiet sections of games. I can reach up and turn them right back on again, but I’ve had it!

If you google the problem it is quite wide spread and Turtle Beach either can’t fix the problem, or is just neglecting to actually fix the problem. Therefore Turtle Beach will NEVER receive any of my money again!

Here’s the now retired Turtle Beach headset

During the time I was building this rig, I have been researching wireless headsets. I know there are many great wired headsets out there, but I just hate the wire so “wireless” is a must have feature for me!

At first I was comparing the Steelseries Siberia 800, and the ASTRO Gaming A50 headsets. I actually went back and forth on these two headsets. I liked how the A50s charged while sitting in the dock. Then the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headsets came out, and I went back and forth again finally deciding on the Acrtis Pro Headset.

So I put those on my wish list and decided to wait until the build was done before actually buying them since I didn’t really get much gaming in during the building process. Then I saw bluedevil’s review here on OCN of the just recently released Sennheiser GSP 670 Wireless Gaming Headset. This is their first foray into “wireless gaming headsets”.

I proceeded to read every review and watch every youtube video I could find on these new Sennheiser GSP 670s, and almost bought them. AnandTech did a very thorough review of these which was enough to sway me to stick with my plan to buy the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless headset.

Besides that particular review there were four main reasons for selecting the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Headset over the Sennheiser GSP 670 Headset:

• Comfort
  • Batteries
  • Software
  • Microphone

Comfort

Starting with comfort, I liked the fact that the Sennheiser GSP 670s had an adjustable top headband, but numerous reviewers complained that even with the headband set to the largest size they still felt the headphones squeezed their heads too much, particularly at the bottom of the ear cups, while all the reviews of the SteelSeries headsets stated that they were extremely comfortable.

I’ve been using them for about two weeks now, have worn them for up to three hours straight, and I can attest that they are very comfortable. However, be aware that this headset barely fits me. The top band is not adjustable, and I have the adjustable band as large as it will go. My head almost hits the top band but not quite. I measured my head circumference around the forehead at 23.5 inches, so if you have a very large head this headset may not fit you.

The ear cups are soft, comfortable, and slightly larger than my Turtle Beach headset that I have been using. The ear cups do not touch or pull on my ears at all.

Batteries

Next is the batteries, the Sennheiser GSP 670 headset has a built in battery that is not user changeable which I really don’t like because eventually the battery is going to die or not stay charged for very long. Plus you have to pull out a USB cable and plug it into the headset to charge it. My Turtle Beach headset was the same way, and I always found it to be kind of a pain in the neck.

The SteelSeries headset comes with two batteries! One in the headset and one sits in the base station and charges while you are using the other one. Just using the headset out of the box I got more than eight hours of game play before I got the low battery warning beep.

I merely paused the game, the right side ear cup is magnetically held in place so you just pop it off and swap batteries with the one in the base station. Boom right back to action with no need to drag a USB cable out to charge the headset or have to have it plugged in to finish that gaming session.

Also you can buy another pair of batteries for $19.95 if you ever need new batteries. This was a huge benefit to me over the Sennheiser headset.

Software

The Sennheiser GSP 670 Wireless Gaming Headset uses a USB Dongle that communicates with the headset via software. Apparently the software is fairly new and not the greatest. It does have a 7.1 surround sound mimicking setting, but every review I read stated that it actually sounded better with it off.

Here’s a software screen shot I pulled of the web.

I personally don’t like to add software to my computer that I don’t really need, and I would prefer not to have to depend on software for my headset to function properly. Just as an example I know that with the newest Windows 10 versions, the people with Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z and ZXR cards are not working properly any longer due to the fact that Creative won’t update the drivers or software.

That is kind of and apples to oranges comparison because Creative Labs has always had notoriously horrible support, and Sennheiser might do a great job of software support… but maybe not, you never really know.

The SteelSeries Actis Pro headset does not use any software. It just uses the desktop base station. You plug in two USB cables into the back of your computer, one for power, one for sound, and Windows installs it immediately.

Here’s how the Sound window looks once you plug it in.

Not having to rely on software to use the headset is another huge advantage of the SteelSeries Arcis Pro over the Sennheiser GSP 670 headset.

Microphone

I don’t use a microphone all that much personally because I don’t do much online multiplayer gaming, but from the reviews I’ve read it seems that the SteelSeries mic is better than the mic on the Sennheiser headset. In fact, in some reviews that is what the reviewer was most disappointed in was the microphone quality.

The Sennheiser mic swings up when not in use and comes on automatically when you swing it down, where the SteelSeries mic pushes up into the left ear cup which I like because it’s more out of the way and cleaner looking when not in use which is how it will be for me most of the time.

Price

Ok I know I said that there were four main reasons I liked the SteelSeries Arcis Pro headset over the Sennheiser GSP 670 headset, and this is the fifth reason. Just think of this as a bonus

The Sennheiser GSP 670 headset lists for $350 on their web site, and that was the only place I could find to purchase them when I was doing my research, and the SteelSeries Arcis Pro headset normally lists for $330.

So the price is fairly close, and honestly I was going to buy the one I wanted no matter what. But I was able to pick up the SteelSeries Arcis Pro headset on sale on Amazon for $280, so that was nice getting it for $70 less!

Now that I’ve explained why I decided to go with the SteelSeries Arcis Pro headset, let’s take a look at a few unboxing pictures.

I’m only using two of these cables, but it has all the cables you need in the box.

How does it sound?

Now I am no sound aficionado, but for the ten or so hours of gaming I have done while using this headset it sounds fantastic to me! It does come with a sound volume limiter turned on by default, with games I had it turned all the way up or the second highest volume level, and it was plenty loud enough.

For videos I found myself turning it down quite a bit from the highest setting. I did turn the sound limiter off though, and it’s for sure plenty loud enough for games.

I don’t listen to much music while at my desk, but I do have an extensive classic rock music collection, so I did spends some time listening to some music with the volume turned all the way up with the sound limiter off. With Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and others cranked up to the max, there was no distortion at all! I even played around with the built in equalizer. Here is a custom setting I set up directly on the desktop base station.

You can adjust the volume either with the desktop base station or the easy to find wheel on the left ear cup. Either way you adjust the volume the display on the desktop base station temporarily turns like this and gives you a nice visual of how high the volume is.

After a few seconds it turns back to the normal display. Here you can see the charge level of the battery in the base station too.

I have not tried or used the blue tooth feature yet, but it supposedly works flawlessly.

So far I am very happy with my decision and purchase of this SteelSeries Arctis Pro Headset and I plan to get many years of enjoyment out of it

Edit: Just two days after I originally posted this Toms Hardware came out with a review of this headset.

Plus the price has dropped even further to $264.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 DSC_4947.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	7.14 MB
ID:	293488  

Name:	2 DSC_4968.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	5.17 MB
ID:	293490  

Name:	3 DSC_4969.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	5.36 MB
ID:	293492  

Name:	4 Sen Software.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	293494  

Name:	5 2019-09-02.png
Views:	81
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	293496  

Name:	6 DSC_4953.JPG
Size:	4.93 MB
ID:	293498  

Name:	7 DSC_4956.JPG
Size:	5.39 MB
ID:	293500  

Name:	8 DSC_4958.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	6.00 MB
ID:	293502  

Name:	9 DSC_4960.JPG
Size:	6.37 MB
ID:	293504  

Name:	10 DSC_4962.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	4.40 MB
ID:	293506  

Name:	11 DSC_4965.JPG
Size:	7.31 MB
ID:	293508  

Name:	12 DSC_4978.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	7.06 MB
ID:	293510  

Name:	13 DSC_4975.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	7.18 MB
ID:	293512  

Name:	14 DSC_4977.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	6.97 MB
ID:	293514  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 09-06-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #538 of 539 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Chief Over-Engineer

What is the quality of construction like on those SteelSeries headphones? Good materials? Well made? I may finally have to replace my prehistoric Razer set, the oldest and most dependable piece of tech I still use (for long hours pretty much every day). I love them, particularly for using common (i.e. easily replaceable) rechargeable batteries and the simple drop onto the top of the base station to charge, but mostly because they’re the only pair of headphones I’ve ever owned that haven’t broken, either physically or electronically, in very short order. Unfortunately the low battery warning has recently become dodgy and the occasional random beep is now a lot less than occasional. So unless my entire stock of AAA batteries is rubbish - and they may be - then it’s misreading the charge.

Glad the monitor setup gets the seal of approval! When you do your upgrade I wholly endorse getting a 21:9 widescreen - became an instant fan the second mine arrived - but absolutely right that you’d need a different one. This configuration was highly tailored to a purpose; it being less suited to whatever gaming I also do is a trade-off that just has to be accepted. However I’m not remotely surprised that you wouldn't have room for my monitor setup – I don’t have room for my monitor setup! A new extension piece for my desk, plus the existing one originally for the Ironbeast test bench, had to be hastily improvised from scrap so that it all just about fits. I’ve been working on a new desk design on and off for years now, still haven’t got around to building it...

My test bench rig is definitely a hopeless mess, albeit a pretty cool hopeless mess, but it works; crosslinked loop configuration like Ironbeast. I was going to start a new build log for it all back in April – Precursor – but ran into some…um…“issues”…with ASUS which put a fairly hefty dent in my enthusiasm (to put it mildly). Sad that I had to retire the Beast, I’m still hopelessly fond of it. Overall its 2014 hardware didn’t quite make the five-years working lifespan; it held on valiantly but it was definitely becoming “eccentric” in its behaviour, as its predecessor did before the end, and there was just no way it could be upgraded short of a full (and likely problematic) rebuild. Given the complexity and precision of your work I suspect Devastator may meet the same fate in the end. For the moment I’m thinking of rewiring IB’s internals to power the pumps and lighting without the motherboard and keeping it as a room decoration.

The IRONBEAST Project

post #539 of 539 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 104 (Unique: 67)
Barefoot ... how many pumps do you have driving your loop, how many radiators and coolers in that loop? What is your flow rate?

Build Logs - Active
Not another Server!? - new hardware and more FreeNAS info (when I get to that stage)

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in