[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 55 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #541 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 125 (Unique: 102)
Quote: Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post
Barefoot ... how many pumps do you have driving your loop, how many radiators and coolers in that loop? What is your flow rate?

Hey ruffhi, I did do some flow testing of the loop after it was completely finished, and I of course took notes, but after your question I realized that that information never made it into any of the build log posts. So here it is now:

Devastator Flow Rate Testing

The system is one big loop with two Aquacomputer D5 PWM pumps in series. There are six radiators in total, four Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 560mm in the top and bottom, and two Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 280mm in front. Even though there are six radiators, these are low restriction radiators.

There are also seven water blocks, but they are all low restriction waterblocks, with the two video card waterblocks in parallel and the two hard disk drive waterblocks also in parallel.

I tested the pumps with various speeds between 40% and 100% to test the flow rates and what it did to loop temperatures. There were two specific speeds where the pumps would make a slight hum noise. At 70% pump speed there was a slight hum, and an even louder hum at 50% power. The rest of the speeds you really could not hear the pumps, and certainly would never hear them over the fan noise.

In this testing I was loading the system with the Real Bench stress test. This really puts just about the max load on the system that you can. This was done with an ambient temperature of 73° F, with the fans all set to 700 RPM and my 4.8 GHz daily overclock profile on the CPU with a 1.25 vcore.

Starting at 40% and going up 10% at a time all the way to 100% and then one final test back at 40% again. It is interesting how the air/water deltas are slightly better with 40% power and less flow rate.

This testing was done April 14, 2019 and shortly after this the maximum flow rate at 100% pump speed settled in at 1.1 GPM which is the same flow rate I’m getting as I write this, and I just now rechecked the flow rate at 40% power and it is .8 GPM.

I could run the pumps at a lower speed just fine, but since they are no louder running at 100% and the loop temperatures really did not vary too much with the pumps set to lower speeds, I would prefer to have a higher flow rate so I just leave the pumps set at 100% all the time.

As to the air/water deltas, the temperatures you see in the chart above are the hottest I’ve ever seen. I did get slightly better air/water deltas when the build was still in my work shop due to better air flow all around the case.

Now that it is in my office under the desk the air/water delta once the system is fully warmed up is usually around 3°C. It will go up a little bit more when gaming, but even this last summer when my office was almost 90°F the highest I ever saw the air/water delta get to was 4.5°C

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flow Testing 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	310848  

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 3600 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Seagate Iron Wolf Pro 12TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Radiators 4x 560mm + 2x 280mm
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT + Aquaero LT
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer D5s with custom chrome plated Bitspower mod kits
Cooling
2x Aquacomputer Aqualis 880ml Reservoirs with Nano Coating & Aquabus Interface
Case
CaseLabs THW10 with Custom Powder Coating
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
EVGA GTX 980 ti Classified
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Microsofte Natural Ergonomic 4000
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 12-08-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 106 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
Hey ruffhi, I did do some flow testing of the loop after it was completely finished, and I of course took notes, but after your question I realized that that information never made it into any of the build log posts.

I could run the pumps at a lower speed just fine, but since they are no louder running at 100% and the loop temperatures really did not vary too much with the pumps set to lower speeds, I would prefer to have a higher flow rate so I just leave the pumps set at 100% all the time.
Those are excellent results. I have noticed the pump noise change with different RPMs too ... and you can dial it up / down to you find a sweet spot re noise.

Re your flow rates, that is radically different from what I am seeing on my PC. My cooling loop ...

• 2 x radiators (Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 120.3 Multiport Satin White Radiator - white with white fins)
  • 2 x pumps (Aquacomputer D5 Pump Core | PWM Equipped)
  • 1 x pump header (EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 Serial)
  • 1 x GPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080 - ACETAL Ni)
  • 1 x CPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV Pro (Copper AN))

I have gone back and forth with my loop. I started with quite a few hard 90º turns but swapped them out for the triple rotary snakes.

I had one run that I have been thinking about ... I just swapped it from soft plastic to a complete run of fittings.

Flow has always been pretty horrible. At 100%, (pre fitting run), I could get 1.2 GPM. I was running it at about 75% and getting a flow rate of 0.95 GPM. After swapping to the full fitting run, flow has dropped to 0.9 GPM at 100%. I am currently getting 0.65 GPM at 80%.

I thought that one of my pumps might be bad so I installed a on/off switch on each pump. I can either run it with both pumps or turn the left or right pump off. Turning off one pump (either one), cuts the flow rate to under 0.4 GPM. Conclusion - each pump is as good as the other one.

My flow meter (Aquacomputer flow rate sensor "high flow USB" G1/4) could be off? I have ordered a different flow, Barrowch that is in the mail.

I am going to swap back to air and test each component re flow restriction.

Build Logs - Active
Not another Server!? - new hardware and more FreeNAS info (when I get to that stage)

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #543 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post
Those are excellent results. I have noticed the pump noise change with different RPMs too ... and you can dial it up / down to you find a sweet spot re noise.

Re your flow rates, that is radically different from what I am seeing on my PC. My cooling loop ...

• 2 x radiators (Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 120.3 Multiport Satin White Radiator - white with white fins)
  • 2 x pumps (Aquacomputer D5 Pump Core | PWM Equipped)
  • 1 x pump header (EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 Serial)
  • 1 x GPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV for GTX 1080 - ACETAL Ni)
  • 1 x CPU block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV Pro (Copper AN))

I have gone back and forth with my loop. I started with quite a few hard 90º turns but swapped them out for the triple rotary snakes.

I had one run that I have been thinking about ... I just swapped it from soft plastic to a complete run of fittings.

Flow has always been pretty horrible. At 100%, (pre fitting run), I could get 1.2 GPM. I was running it at about 75% and getting a flow rate of 0.95 GPM. After swapping to the full fitting run, flow has dropped to 0.9 GPM at 100%. I am currently getting 0.65 GPM at 80%.

I thought that one of my pumps might be bad so I installed a on/off switch on each pump. I can either run it with both pumps or turn the left or right pump off. Turning off one pump (either one), cuts the flow rate to under 0.4 GPM. Conclusion - each pump is as good as the other one.

My flow meter (Aquacomputer flow rate sensor "high flow USB" G1/4) could be off? I have ordered a different flow, Barrowch that is in the mail.

I am going to swap back to air and test each component re flow restriction.

I don't think switching styles of 90° fittings will make much difference at all in your flow rate. I remember awhile back now probably at least five years ago, that Martins Liquid Lab did a test with various amounts of 90° fittings in a loop to test how it affected the flow rates, and even with a lot of 90° fittings it really did not make hardly any difference at all. The last time I looked for that test I was unable to find it to reference here. I have seventeen 90° fittings in this build.

I remember reading in your build log that you have a filter installed. If it is the Aqua Computer Inline Filter, those are very restrictive as you can see in this flow test done by fast_fate https://www.overclock.net/forum/25894531-post635.html

I would try to bypass the filter or remove the filter and test your flow rate again if you have not tried that yet.

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Barefooter; 12-22-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 92)
Is it not the definition of perfection itself?
post #545 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 40)
What radiator mounts are you using for the top? I thought the case only came with 480 drop in mounts, was this changed in future versions of this case?

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #546 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post
I remember reading in your build log that you have a filter installed. If it is the Aqua Computer Inline Filter, those are very restrictive as you can see in this flow test done by fast_fate https://www.overclock.net/forum/25894531-post635.html

I would try to bypass the filter or remove the filter and test your flow rate again if you have not tried that yet.
I took the filter out ... and then put it back in with a bypass. Still fiddling. I have actually moved my PC to a Thermaltake case (sacrilege!) and it is running on air. I couldn't believe how quiet the study is with no PC here. Under air it is about as quiet as before.

Meanwhile, my S5 is downstairs undergoing a minor update (swapping to different fans, installing BarrowCH flow meter, installing Aquacomputer SPLITTY9 active, changing 1 90º turn to low profile version, installing switches for left and right pump, etc).

I will be doing some flow tests with nothing in the loop (res + pump) and then adding 2 x radiators, CPU block, GPU block and, finally, the filter. I will do a write up about this in my thread.

Build Logs - Active
Not another Server!? - new hardware and more FreeNAS info (when I get to that stage)

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #547 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 05:52 AM
Food Editor

Rep: 721 (Unique: 379)
removing 90 degree fittings from the first few inches of your pumps' out can also drastically increase flow as well.

BP makes snake 90s that're a much less extreme bend, they help a great deal in this area. removing the hard 90s from the mouth of my mcp35x2 allowed another 100lph, no lies. from ~120 to 220.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #548 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
removing 90 degree fittings from the first few inches of your pumps' out can also drastically increase flow as well.
I have those rounded snake 90º in ... and I do have a left turn straight out of my pump. Not much I can do about that. I will have a think about what I can do re pump location.

Build Logs - Active

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #549 of 558 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 02:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 92)
Where did you learn how to do all this? Have you thought about hiding cables somehow? They stand out...
post #550 of 558 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
What radiator mounts are you using for the top? I thought the case only came with 480 drop in mounts, was this changed in future versions of this case?
When I ordered my case it came with two radiator mounts, and there was an option of either 480 mounts or 560 mounts. I ordered my case with 560mm radiator mounts, plus two extras so I have four 560mm mounts.

The case and the mounts did require modification to fit the Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 560mm radiators however. I covered how I did that on this post Fitting and Mounting the Top 560mm Hardware Labs SR2 Radiators

I also showed how I mounted the bottom and the front radiators on separate posts.

If you have not seen it yet, Post#2 is my Build Log Index with Links which is also linked at the top of the first post.

That makes it easier to find stuff

Devastator
(14 items)
Secondary Rig
(13 items)
CPU
i9-7900X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage Extreme VI
GPU
2x EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 480GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 2TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Extreme VI
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
EK 420 Rad + EK 280 Rad
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Monitor
Acer XB271HU
Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in