[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] The Big Red "Devastator" CaseLabs THW10 - Custom Powder Coating

post #81 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckool View Post

Damn that's sexy~!
Thank you I think so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

I really like the red and gun metal ... nice work on the color selection. I'm in two minds about mentioning the next part ... but is there something 'off' with your single solid flex bay cover on the top left?
Yes the red goes well with the gunmetal. I noticed the top flex bay too as I was taking the pictures. When I brought everything to the powder coat shop, I left all the ball studs in and screws in all the threaded holes. I told them to powder coat over them if they wanted to because I had extras. He said they probably would not use them, but the pieces all came back without any screws or ball studs.

It turns out I did not have enough extra ball studs, so there is actually only four ball studs holding the front panel on. The top has none, it's just resting on top. I'm sure I can adjust that top flex bay cover to fit better, if not I have two extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsj86 View Post

That looks really good. How much did they charge for it. Looks really good
It was expensive and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post

1. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the powder coating cost & Do they do little jobs as well (Like a few items, instead of entire case)? The one shop around me wants 300 dollars to do any kind of powder coating & they will only take on bigger projects like cases. *The site is not loading for me*

2. It's to late now, but Hardware Labs sell paint hangers for their rads. Also Make sure the paint you used can be heated up, some paints out their warns you that it should never go above X degree. Should check out cardinal paint too. Their spray paints come very close to look of powder painting.

1. I'm not sure if they do small jobs, you'll have to ask them. I would think that $300 would be about the minimum for any kind of custom powder coating. The link worked ok for me, you can find them with google too.

2. I did not know about the paint hangers. They look like they would work great, but I don't really have a way to hang them outside there and like you said too late now. I'll keep that in mind for next time. As far as the heat goes, I doubt these radiators will ever crack 100 degrees. Thanks for the tip on the hangers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mounting the Aquaero XT and Aquaero LT with Stealth Mount

Today I'm mounting the heat sinks on an Aquaero XT and Aquaero LT, I had to mod the heat sinks to fit properly. I'm not happy that I'm having to mod the heat sinks. For the price you pay for Aquaeros, and their accessories, they should work out of the box without having to mod anything mad.gif Especially considering how long these have been out, and that it's a well documented problem in the Aquaero Owners Club!

Also I'll be doing a CaseLabs stealth mount for the Aquaero LT.

Here's the Aquaero XT on top and the LT on the bottom with a pair of heat sinks.

You can see the three legged component on the end is soldered way bent over on the LT.

I thought I was going to be able to just file a little off were it's bent over, but realized that it was not going to sit down flush even once the thin thermal pads were in place. See the gap between the heat sink and the circuit board.

So out comes the dremel tool and file.

That fits better now.

Here you can see both the Aquaero XT and LT both would not have made good contact without cutting all the way through the heat sink.

The Aquaero LT with brackets I painted black when I painted the radiators.

A lot of people don't like the silver face plate that comes with the Aquaero XT and buy black ones. I had one powder coated to match the case thumb.gif

Oh that's better.

Now for the stealth mount for the Aquaero LT. First, before the powder coating was done, I drilled out the bottom two threaded inserts so that now the screws will go right through this double bay cover and into the mounts behind it. The stock thumb screws are plenty long enough for this.

Then I shortened some standard device mounts and drilled a few more holes. The short device mounts are too short.

Here's how it will sit inside the case.

Both Aquaeros mounted.

Looking through the window with the side panel on.

Front view. Looks good thumb.gif

post #83 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 27)
Looks killer

Caselabs S8
With pedestal

Asus Maximus formula vII
Dual gtx 980tis
16gb gskillz ram ddr 1866
4790k 4ghz

Full ek nickel Cpu gpu ram blocks
Dual loop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 66)
Excellent job ... looks really stealthy. thumb.gif

I had my Aquaero mounted up top but then I moved it down towards the bottom ... because you end up running a full 18-wheeler load of cables to the Aquaero ... more in your case because you have two.

Build Logs - Active
'Liquorice Allsorts' - 'C-Sweet' Thought Log coming to life ... CaseLabs S5 + Pedestal
'HTPC Builds into small cases' - Antec VSK2000-U3 and Fractal Design Node 202

Build Logs - Complete
Spoiler!
post #85 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 71 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

snip

I wouldn't have cut into my heatshink, It just looks a bit odd now.

This is how mine looked, Not sure if it's any better or not.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon
post #86 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trestles126 View Post

Looks killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhi View Post

Excellent job ... looks really stealthy. thumb.gif

I had my Aquaero mounted up top but then I moved it down towards the bottom ... because you end up running a full 18-wheeler load of cables to the Aquaero ... more in your case because you have two.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments!

Quote:

I wouldn't have cut into my heatshink, It just looks a bit odd now.
Yeah I hear what you are saying, it doesn't look as pretty sitting on the bench, but I did not really have a choice. If I did not make the cut-out it would have smashed down whatever that electrical component is and possibly damaged the Aquaero, and/or it would have not made proper contact with thermal pads, in which case I might as well not even use the heat sink. Besides if you look at the picture looking through the side window it will not show, you would have to open the side door and stick your head inside the case to see it, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I've been playing around with the fans and the Aquaero the last couple of days. Next up is the fan testing results. I have a whole bunch of numbers to share with you soon thumb.gif

post #87 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:

Yeah I hear what you are saying, it doesn't look as pretty sitting on the bench, but I did not really have a choice. If I did not make the cut-out it would have smashed down whatever that electrical component is and possibly damaged the Aquaero, and/or it would have not made proper contact with thermal pads, in which case I might as well not even use the heat sink. Besides if you look at the picture looking through the side window it will not show, you would have to open the side door and stick your head inside the case to see it, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I've been playing around with the fans and the Aquaero the last couple of days. Next up is the fan testing results. I have a whole bunch of numbers to share with you soon thumb.gif

I would have contacted Aquacomputer & who ever you bought it from. Tell them about the problem & see maybe if they can send out a replacement with everything properly placed. If I ran into the problem I would been very annoyed having to cut into a heeatsink.

Thankfully my two 6XT are making proper contact.

post #88 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 678 (Unique: 347)
Quote:

Quote:

I would have contacted Aquacomputer & who ever you bought it from. Tell them about the problem & see maybe if they can send out a replacement with everything properly placed. If I ran into the problem I would been very annoyed having to cut into a heeatsink.

Thankfully my two 6XT are making proper contact.

That issue where the heatsinks don't clear the MOV is old, and I've posted about it before . . . . no doubt more than once

Basically, AC just blows it off . . .

No plans to change the recess to full depth, . .

No change in the way they seat the MOV on the PCB . . . it looks like if it set down a little more . . to the detent bend in the legs, . . . it would actually fit.

Since you actually have to go looking for it to see it, I have, ever since I started using the A6 when it came out, just dremelled the heatsink to completely clear the MOV, it's quick and easy, and guaranteed no issues.

Darlene
post #89 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Fan Testing

I am testing all the fans I plan to use, before I void the warranty on them biggrin.gif I was hoping to run eight of the EK Vardar F3-140ER fans on each Aquaero channel, however eight is just too much. With eight fans on one channel they start spinning, then just shut down, and I get an over current warning on the Aquaero.

Six of the fans work fine on one channel, so I am testing the fans six at a time. I still have the screws in the radiators from painting them, so I took out the top screws of two radiators, and left the bottoms ones in to keep the radiators elevated so the fans will work more like in the case.

Here's the test bench, with just a power supply, an Aquaero, and a splitty fan splitter.

I am starting them out at 100% power then slowing them down as slow as they will go, and then ramping back up to 100% power. I am just checking to make sure all the fans are working good and quiet, with no obvious problems. I get through 30 fans, all nice and quiet. Then on the last two 140mm fans I’m testing I hear something, not real loud, but one fan definitely had some noise compared with all the others. I swapped it out with a spare and no more noise. So out of 35 fans tested, got one bad one I’ll have to RMA.

Next I want to test my RPM range with six fans, four fans and one fan per Aquaero channel. Here’s a spread sheet I made that shows the RPMs as well as the Volts, Amps, and Temps reported on the Aquaero. I’m showing 100% and 35% power on all the fans, as 35% is probably as low as I’ll go. Also showing the lowest power% for each fan before it’s either too low or stops spinning. The Aquaero is set for PWM control not voltage control.

My previous favorite 140mm PWM fans were the Noise Blocker PK-PS fans, so I included that for comparison. I will also be using two EK F4-120ER fans in this build, and have included those as well.
Here's a picture with a spare Noise Blocker on the left next to an EK Vardar for comparison. You can see how much bigger the hub is on the EK fan.

Here’s a spread sheet of the entire RPM range of both EK fans. Six fans per channel on the 140mm fans, and two fans per channel on the 120mm fans. This was done with different fans than the above spread sheet so you may notice the RPMs are slightly different.

I am really impressed with these fans! Under 800 RPMs you can barely hear them, and under 600 RPMs I can’t hear them at all even close up. I am amazed at how low the RPMs can actually go on these fans.
All fans now tested and ready for the next step thumb.gif

post #90 of 528 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Linux Lobbyist

800 RPM is very low to start with, It's unlikely you will hear them from most fans available. The most important factor is the CFM. P/P on SR-2 is overkill & waste of money since doesn't give much of improvement over a single fan at 800 rpm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in