[Build Log] 909: In Win, X99, 1080 ti, and EK/Bitspower Liquid Cooling - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] 909: In Win, X99, 1080 ti, and EK/Bitspower Liquid Cooling

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 27)
Hey everyone, it's been a few years since I've had a build log documenting one of my projects, so I figured I'd remedy that by posting updates from my current workstation/gaming rig.  Unfortunately, this won't chronicle the early stages of the build, but I will cover the current state of the build as I tear her down for a GPU upgrade, and if you guys want to see more I'll keep updating in the future as more changes occur.  This is a long term project that has gone through a ton of different configurations over the last two years, and that won't change any time soon... I'm rarely one who considers a build "finished."  Without further rambling, here are the specs:

Chassis: InWin 909
Motherboard: Asus X99-e WS
Processor: i7 5820k @4.6ghz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC @2150mhz
Memory: 4x8gb DDR4 2400mhz
PSU: EVGA 850 P2
Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 512gb (Windows 10) Samsung 850 Pro 512gb (games/storage) Samsung 840 Pro 256gb (Ubuntu)
Sound card: HTOmega eClaro
Liquid Cooling: EK blocks, Bitspower fittings/res, Hardwarelabs radiators, Noiseblocker eloop B12-PS
Monitor: Acer Predator XB321HK 32" 4k IPS with G-Sync

That's about the gist of it.  I'll start with the latest upgrade: the EVGA 1080 SC.  I was planning on holding off upgrading from my old 980 ti until big Pascal rolled around, but I broke down and decided on getting a 1080 to hold me over instead.  I may add a 2nd one for SLI, or grab a 1080ti when they launch.  

Brand new gtx 1080

Getting wet for the first time

Aaaand here's the chassis. Easily one of my favorite cases of all time based on aesthetics alone (some derpy design decisions notwithstanding)

Drain port peaking out

Loop still under construction

Still a bit of old coolant left in the Supremacy Evo

Storage shots: 840/850 Pro, and new 960 Pro
Cable management is a work in progress

That's about it for now... Loop is back together and cable management is almost finished at this point.  She's all ready for coolant, so I'll update with more pics once that's done.  Let me know if you guys have any questions or want to hear about my experiences with any of the hardware involved.  Thanks for checking this post out, and I apologize for it not being more thorough or covering any of the original build process lol.  Hopefully future updates will make it worthwhile thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Loop is filled now. Still gotta do some work on cable management and lighting and fix a couple tubing runs I'm not totally happy with, but I'm still happy with its current state

More pics with the rig turned on and darkside LED strips powered on:

I've been busy overhauling my SFF build (7 liters ftw) but when I get finished with that project I'll take some evening shots with the side panels on. The build looks best when lit up at night imo.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Dude that's absolutely awesome!!! I deal with 909's all day at work and they're great!! (: Just REALLY heavy xD. LOVE the build!!! Do you plan on keeping it single GPU?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks! lol yeah these cases are total pigs, especially when packed with radiators. Only way I can safely carry it is by taking the glass side panels off first.

As far as the GPU, I'm not sure if I'll add another 1080 or just upgrade to a single 1080 ti. I designed the loop to easily accommodate a 2nd card without having to change any tubing runs, so I'm leaning towards SLI. It would really help with filling out the lower half of the motherboard... all those pciex16 lanes with only a GPU and sound card is a little sad rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 01:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I totally see that in the design! Makes perfect sense now. As far as the cards go.. You already have a 1080 wink.gif And you know two 1080's is gonna wreck aesthetically and performance wise wink.gif

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Small update:

Ended up ordering a 1080 ti on launch day, and it finally got here yesterday along with an EK Titan XP water block biggrin.gif

Packages arrive:

Testing the card out in the 909's little brother:

This thing is a monster. I haven't had much time testing the card yet, but I did a quick and dirty overclock to 2ghz and ran Time Spy and a few games. I'm so used to having to turn down settings and run minimal AA at 4k, but now I'm pretty much free to max out everything but the most demanding titles. It's got a lot more headroom considering the untouched memory and stock 5820k. Looking forward to dialing it all in and pushing it as high as possible

Time Spy

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Got the card installed in the loop today. Obviously not a huge change in aesthetics compared to the 1080, but I took a few more shots anyway lol.

And since I didn't really include many shots of the rear before, here are a couple cable management shots (840 Pro is gone, looking to pick up an 850 Evo or a 2nd 850 Pro to replace it):

And one last shot for now:

I'm moving to a new house this week, will update with some night-time pics once the family gets settled. Not looking forward to carting this pig of a chassis across town for the move lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in