[Build Log] Humble SM5 MK2: Even more humbler - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Humble SM5 MK2: Even more humbler

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 47)
Update 6

Got the H100i V2 yesterday and installed it just before (horrible photo I know). I also didn't do my usual "product photo" because honestly, I forgot lachen.gif.

For those wondering, the fans are pulling in through the radiator, fans in the roof are blowing in and the fan in the back is blowing out, a lot of air is going in but I have DEMCiFlex fan filters and it seems to work pretty well at keeping the dust out while keeping temps down.

Idle temps right now are around 27° and its 22° in my room atm, I'll test load temps soon, the only thing I'm worried about is the VRM temps seeing they don't have fans blowing on them but we'll see how it goes.

Did have a little problem when I first booted because it wouldn't go into Windows with the RAM running at 3200MHz so I dropped it to 2400MHz, once I installed Corsair Link I was able to put it back to 3200MHz. Realised one thing with the Corsair Link software however, it's reading 20° offset that AMD put on all the X versions, very annoying.

Edit, almost forgot the H100i V2 came with an AM4 mounting kit, I bought one because I didn't think it came with one so, just a small note to everyone else.

Cables

Now before everyone starts grabbing pitchforks I know the cables are a mess, the cooler hasn't helped much considering the fan cables are about 5cm to short to connect behind the panel, I may switch the fans to EK Vardar and or extend the fan cables.

As for the rest of the cables I'll be getting to them soon, just need to buy a new GPU first then I'll get some CableMod cables made up.

Lighting

I'll be getting to this very soon, took some rough measurements today so I now know I need about 65cm cable between the 2 strips, top and bottom hence the blue tape showing middle of the case and I need about 35 - 40cm for getting around the back to the controller, I may go a little longer on the controller wires so I can run it along the edge of the case under the PSU but we'll see.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW 32GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 64-Bit
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
WASD CODE 87-Key - Cherry MX Clear
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Artisan ZERO MID Black Large Mouse Pad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Swan M50W Powered 2.1 System
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update 7 Change of Plans

Change of plans with GPU & monitors as well as some updates on lights and cables.

GPU

Well after waiting for Vega for basically a year I haven't been impressed with the performance and power draw so I've begrudgingly made the decision to go Nvidia with a Galax GTX 1080 EXOC Sniper White. I'll be ordering that next week once I have the money.

It'll match the theme a lot better although I'll probably end up pulling the shroud off to paint it a proper white, don't really like the fact it's an off white but we'll see how I feel once I see it in person and in the PC. I'll also paint the PCI bracket black to match my case like I did for the 290.

For anyone curious as to what paint I use, it's a ceramic based engine enamel, works pretty well without primer, smells like crap but sticks extremely well. Should probably check the conductivity of it though I suppose thinking.gif.

Monitors

Now that I'm going an Nvidia card I'll also be changing the monitors to triple ViewSonic XG2703-GS, the reason I picked these ones over Asus, Acer etc is simple, there currently the cheapest 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitors and they don't have heaps of flashy gamer crap or pointless LED's on them.

The green accents may be a little bit of a problem but if it comes to it I'll either paint them or cover them with vinyl.

Cables

Providing everything goes well over the coming weeks I will be ordering these on the 13th of next month finally, I've got all the lengths worked out and colours so now I just need the money. It'll be pretty expensive to buy them but the colours (well shades technically) I've picked will mean I won't have to change them pretty much ever because they'll go with any build.

Lighting

The lighting is actually in the PC, has been for a week but because the way I've done the power connector it's not actually powered on, it does work though.

Lighting will get it's own update probably in a week or so, I've just got to finish off some more of the lights for my desk then I'll do a big update explaining how I did it all because as far as I've seen it's different to the way most have done it.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Nice .. about the monitors they look to be great. Did you find them at a good deal ? I was looking at this model too, the design is quite nice, the green doesn't bother me too much, did not see it in person though. Where i am they cost just about as much as the Asus PG279Q. Maybe because they are a new model.

The ViewSonic costs about 880 Euro (with 1 year warranty !??) and the Asus costs 910 Euro (3 year warranty). I found the Acer at a good deal (750 Euro) but unfortunately i don't like it's design, the deal is pretty good though. I like the design of the Viewsonic maybe the best. The Asus one also is quite nice. I don't know about the quality and durability of the Viewsonic though, i would like them to be just as good as the Asus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre02 View Post

Nice .. about the monitors they look to be great. Did you find them at a good deal ? I was looking at this model too, the design is quite nice, the green doesn't bother me too much, did not see it in person though. Where i am they cost just about as much as the Asus PG279Q. Maybe because they are a new model.

The ViewSonic costs about 880 Euro (with 1 year warranty !??) and the Asus costs 910 Euro (3 year warranty). I found the Acer at a good deal (750 Euro) but unfortunately i don't like it's design, the deal is pretty good though. I like the design of the Viewsonic maybe the best. The Asus one also is quite nice. I don't know about the quality and durability of the Viewsonic though, i would like them to be just as good as the Asus.

The Viewsonic here in Australia cost $899 which are the cheapest 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS G-Sync monitors, the PG279Q costs $1099 so small price difference. I'll be honest I didn't even look at the Asus, does look like a nice monitor but I'll stick to the Viewsonic just because it's $200 cheaper and all the 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS monitors use the same AU Optronics panel anyway.

I'll be grabbing 1 monitor probably in the middle of September once I get the GPU & cables out of the way then getting the other 2 later on, hopefully I don't have to mess around and return the thing because of bad BLB.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 AM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 178 (Unique: 139)
SM5 build for me is auto-sub.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne View Post

That white motherboard is pretty sweet.

TCO

Yeah I didn't think I'd like it but after seeing it in person I'm pretty impressed, should look awesome once I've cleaned the cables up biggrin.gif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

SM5 build for me is auto-sub.

Thanks. It's an awesome little (big?) case, shame it's been discontinued frown.gif.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:30 PM
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)

Rep: 178 (Unique: 139)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post

Yeah I didn't think I'd like it but after seeing it in person I'm pretty impressed, should look awesome once I've cleaned the cables up biggrin.gif.
Thanks. It's an awesome little (big?) case, shame it's been discontinued frown.gif.

you could still make one buying all parts seperate lol

i have a white one smile.gif

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

you could still make one buying all parts seperate lol

i have a white one smile.gif

Yeah that's true.

Nice, makes mine look super basic and empty lachen.gif.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update 8 GPU

GPU FINALLY!

Yep I finally got a new GPU but I had to change from the Galax GTX 1080 EXOC Sniper White to an MSI 1070 Armor OC because I didn't realise the Galax had a really thick backplate, I had trouble measuring to make sure I had space and I was getting inconsistent answers from MSI so I played it safe and went for the MSI card, it goes well enough.

I thought about going a 1080 version but after thinking about it a 1070 will be good enough for now and I'll get a TI Volta next year, I will be hunting a full white Volta card though.

Looks so much better than the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X that it's replacing.

Cables

I also got around to ordering the CableMod cables to yessir.gif.

Ended up costing a decent chunk of $$$, almost $400 AUD shipped, I got custom sized cables as well as colours and finally some 60cm SATA cables and some cable combs.

Bottom combs are the ones I got from CableMod and the black ones are from Mainframe Customs I got years ago, not sure which one I like just yet but I think the Mainframe ones would be a bit better but a lot more stuffing around to get them on.

Build & Desk Pics

I'm pretty happy with how the cables came out but down near the PSU they look like utter crap, still not 100% sure how the hell I'm going to fix that.

The desk was a nightmare to cable manage, I had plastic cable covers like I used for my speakers but because my wall is warped they wont stick and keep falling off so for right now little hooks jammed into the wall will do.

Cable management the left side is an utter mess and under the desk is worse but the case hides most of it tongue.gif.

And last but not least, the whole setup, the "pink" is actually more of a violet (look at the reflection on the desk to the left for a more accurate colour) but without heavy Photoshop I cant get a good pic with my phone, I will take a proper pic with my big camera when I replace all the monitors, the greens surprisingly accurate though thumb.gif.

Final Stuff

Cooling

I changed the fans around a little so now I have the AIO & back fan sucking in and the top ones blowing out, gotta replace the fans though because I'm not happy with them especially the stock AIO ones, they are just annoyingly loud.

Monitors

I'm going to try and get them by the end of the year, it'll still be the Viewsonic ones unless something really amazing come out, hoping for 1 per month shut up I'm poor.

Cables
The cables are an annoying problem but I'll work on them as well as cleaning up the other ugly ones I have hanging around, I'll sleeve what ones I can and work on hiding them for when I'm done and ready to take good pics lachen.gif.

Humble SM5 MK2
(23 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2
Cooling
Corsair ML120 Pro x5
Case
CaseLabs SM5
Operating System
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Dell U2414H
Monitor
Asus VG248QE
Keyboard
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Audio
JDS Labs Element
Audio
Sennheiser HD 599
Audio
Samson Q2U
Audio
Audio
Rode AI1
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in