Project: Half Life 2: Gordon Freeman edition - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Project: Half Life 2: Gordon Freeman edition

post #11 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Time for a slight update! As you will see, i cutted the logo's outline so i can mark the panel later out of it.

Here is my little assistant for the job!

It was quite tricky to cut it as the paper is thicker than the normal printing paper and made a 2nd pass for it to be cut completely.

There i made another measurement because i wasn't satisfied to where the previous one were, so generally, i "pushed" it a few centimeters to the right

and lifted i little bit the corner where the "2" will rest.

It was quite late that i started cutting, but did cut something because i'm living close to downtown to my city.

This is the result of less than 3 minutes of cutting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Good Morning! My partner made me some final images of the game logo and how it will stand on top of the case! The images are made according to the case size and dimensions!

Here they are some in different shots/angles!!

For now lets cut the side panel!!

post #13 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SotosLg View Post

Good Morning! My partner made me some final images of the game logo and how it will stand on top of the case! The images are made according to the case size and dimensions!

Here they are some in different shots/angles!!

For now lets cut the side panel!!

Not sure how good the whole 3d thing will look, but it's unique and will probably work well.

Nice progress:thumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0nny View Post

Not sure how good the whole 3d thing will look, but it's unique and will probably work well.

Nice progress:thumb:

Just wait S0nny!! wink.gif
post #15 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SotosLg View Post

Just wait S0nny!! wink.gif

Oh, i'm waitin bucko
post #16 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The cutting process went really well and i am really satisfied with the end result. But no matter what, in every cutting process will be lot of filing, and as perfectionist, i tried my best to make it look great and as it should! Here are some images after the cutting.

Here is the edge before i smooth it out with the speedclic at first.

And here is one after the smoothing.

Here is what's left of the speedclic! It done its job pretty decently! I'm happy for it and the result!!

Now, lets start some filing with our fellow assistants!

For some detail filing, i had to change the dremel's bit with this.

The whole process was inspection, filing, inspection, filing until the end result.

Here are some images of the process with the tapes peeled off for better detailing in filing.

What happens now, is prep the surface for the "scorched" effect along the outline which will be done with fiberglass putty and leave it unprocessed.

More pictures will come soon enough!!
post #17 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So, here we are again, preping the surface of the panel so the effect will be applied better.

Here are some images of the panel with roughed color using a decent sander. In some of them you might notice the beginning of the effect that i am making on it.

So, with that done, i moved on the other side panel where i want to make the same effect so what i thought is make it mirrored. at first i took measures from the other side panel where the logo was cutted and applied them to the other one. So, what i did next, was write some points on the panel where the logo should be placed and then put the logo accordingly so i would paint the outline. I realized next that this was inaccurate and the points weren't right, so i thought to place the cutted panel inverted on the other one. So next i aligned them properly and afterwards i painted with primer what was cutted and then make the effect on that panel too.

Here is ready to be painted.

Paint's ready!!

As you can see, there is still on the sticker of the operating system so what i did to remove it and sand a bit the area, was wet it with nitro thinner at first and as i was peeling it off, i re-did the area with thinner so the residue would vanish.

Here is removed and sanded.

So, now lets move on the main panel. What i want here is make the outline look scorched and like it's been melted. What i'm using is some fiberglass putty and hardener for the job. To make that effect i simply spreaded it with my finger along the outline. That way you will create that abstract/irregular effect. It is just some sample images i want to show you during the process and as it evolves.

The spreader and its follower!

The mixture ready to be made! (I tried another can of putty i have and i saw that it is almost its decay, so i won't be using it any further)

Some more images with putty applied. (remember, this is just sample shots of how it looks and evolves)

post #18 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It is getting along really nice for a 1st pass!! More will be applied later on today!!

Here are the leftovers of the putty than went through the grill. Before assembly they will be trimmed.
post #19 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here we are again! Today i thought i should paint the effect a bit to see how it would turn out later on after i apply the rusting effect on it.
So, at first, i applied a thick layer of primer. Remember, nothing will remain like this!

After it dried out, i took a paintbrush and sprayed the tip with ruby red and painted the effect. It turned out irrelevant to what i wanted, so next i cleaned the brush with nitro thinner and took an old spray cap and mixed some black matt and that color and it turned out like this!
Next what i did, was take the paintbrush and gently apply it to the effect using the sponge/pinch technique.
What happened next was this, the color appeared better than i thought!

From now on, i thought i try the pinch/sponge technique the panel. Not bad result!

Next i tried the paint splash using....my finger with that ruby red color!

More effect will be applied later on today or maybe tomorrow!
post #20 of 120 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick update!! A few minutes ago, my partner sent me an email with the end product, the game logo finally 3d printed and ready to be sent to me!! I am very happy
nd satisfied with the result!! I can't wait to take it into my hands!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in